Less and less Rapid and PCR tests are becoming available, now what?

Over the past few weeks CVS and Walgreens have drastically reduced both test sights and appointments. This is becoming a problem where tests have to still be performed two days before embarkation and in some cases the PCR test results are taking two days to come back with the results. One person told me that Walgreens never provided them with the results of a Rapid Test, though fortunately they were not taking a cruise. Flying from point A to Florida is only three hours but being denied boarding because of not getting back test results will certainly ruin a cruise. Has anyone run into this situation, if so what did you do. Thanks in advance to those who replied.

• Like 3

We have seen the same decline, with CVS typically we could book an appointment 14 days out, now they are only listing 3 days out.

The calendar to book still shows out for 16 days (Rapid Antigen test)

and Rapid (with provider)

I can do a 20 mile radius and really only PCR tests are showing as available.

We have used CVS our past 3 cruises, and like others we have the eMed home kits ready for backup.

We will wait and check 3-4 days out and if not resort to the eMed method.
IMO having the eMed as a backup is sound advice

• Like 1

Home proctored Binax tests.  We were a bit nervous to use them the first time, but it was super easy.  I've got two left from our Apr cruise.  We're going on EN in July so I'll order two more for the two of us.  Always good to have backups as there are random reports of bad test kits.  My dream is that no more testing is required soon.  You can also look at local labs.  I had a backup appointment in April at a private lab ($189/person) but probably won't do that this time as the home test worked great.

Edited by BND

For anyone who has done the binax tests, you know what a joke they are. I can't believe they are accepted for all the ways those could be "modified" especially since the proctor relies on you to tell them if you're negative or not

• Haha 1

We did the emed proctored tests.  I watched several videos people posted on YouTube of them doing their tests.  The videos were very helpful to understand the process.

If you get the emed tests, be sure you don’t open the individual test kit box until the proctor tells you to.

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Walgreens up here is still easy and prevalent 

Same in OH.  The appointments they offer are prevalent.  And, times are convenient.  No charge.  As mentioned, there are also the eMed proctored tests, which are convenient to buy.

• Like 1

NAAT rapid test super easy to schedule online at Walgreens for drive up testing.  Plenty of choices for appointments available here in central Florida. 

When we got there, no lines...simple, easy, in and out in 5 minutes.  20 minutes to get home, the results emailed to us (negative fortunately! 🤗) beat us home.  Printed out yesterday, and ready to Board Mariner tomorrow.  🙂 

Do keep in mind Walgreens does not do the Rapid Antigen test any longer (and not even sure if they did in the past).    What you want is the NAAT rapid test. 

We had been using walk in clinic, but they are so messed up with check in, we decided to try Walgreens...and OMG...sure glad we did.  Sooo much more simple!

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

NAAT rapid test super easy to schedule online at Walgreens for drive up testing.  Plenty of choices for appointments available here in central Florida. 

When we got there, no lines...simple, easy, in and out in 5 minutes.  20 minutes to get home, the results emailed to us (negative fortunately! 🤗) beat us home.  Printed out yesterday, and ready to Board Mariner tomorrow.  🙂 

Do keep in mind Walgreens does not do the Rapid Antigen test any longer (and not even sure if they did in the past).    What you want is the NAAT rapid test. 

We had been using walk in clinic, but they are so messed up with check in, we decided to try Walgreens...and OMG...sure glad we did.  Sooo much more simple!

We will follow you on this 👍🏻

Just checked our local Walgreens NAAT available with lots of availability and appointments available for 2 weeks out.

Looks like we will jump ship from CVS

Thank you

Happy Days!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Just checked our local Walgreens NAAT available with lots of availability and appointments available for 2 weeks out.

That's a bonus. Tons of appointments by me but can't book until a week out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

It’s way easier for me to get a rapid COVID test now, then when I first took a startup cruise last Summer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

Thank you

Happy Days!

You are most welcome, and enjoy your cruise!   And fingers crossed for being positive about being so negative on your test.  😉 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's a bonus. Tons of appointments by me but can't book until a week out.

Yup, I will have to do it while on Mariner this next week.  Try next Friday to make appointment online for Friday the 20th.  

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

It’s way easier for me to get a rapid COVID test now, then when I first took a startup cruise last Summer!

Yeah, it was nuts!!  Especially around the holidays last Nov./Dec.   

Here in my metro area of So Cal it was “as normal” when I scheduled my test at CVS.

They open up their ‘window’ for testing 13 days in advance.

I book it that first day it’s available …. Just to be sure!  Seems to be the key to secure a Test. At least it has from my experience. This is my 4th cruise since 2021 opening.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Yep, us too! Walgreen's here in Eustis does a super job with the NAAT rapid tests and we'll use them again this October, unless the testing requirement is lifted by then (hopefully)!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

Thank you

Happy Days!

Glad for you, most of my replies are from Florida. Up here in Mass there are no more CVS's that it's done and in neighboring NH at very few at Walgreens.

• Thanks 1