Merged - Cunard website Issues

lissie

4 hours ago, QM2_SYD said:

However, after digging down through the "Manage my booking/My Cunard" site I found the correct stateroom number listed in "Before you sail > Life on Board".

Thank you for this tip!

• 3 weeks later...

SYSTEM PROBLEMS!

I’ve been going around and around trying to print my documents for my 28 August E’bound TA; I finally called Cunard and lo and behold I was immediately connected to an agent who was very nice. 

It turns out that a lot of folks are ‘having difficulty’ printing documents 🤨

She took my information printed PDFs and sent them to me. 

I asked if she would do the same for my Sept. 15 W’bound; she said the voyage was not yet ‘opened' but that I should approach the Purser’s Office and ask them to do it.

She said they cannot figure out the problem as there has been no IT system change since I sailed in April and was able to print my documents😖

THIS IS A MESS!

An update on finding your cabin number within your booking on "My Cunard".

We've discussed here and elsewhere how Cunard had been hiding the cabin number within "Before you sail" -> "Life on board". I just noticed while checking our booking that our cabin number is now also listed on the main "Booking summary" page where it belongs.

When the "Booking summary" page is displayed (either when first logging in or when navigating back to it), it first shows the message "Your stateroom will be allocated closer to departure." for a few seconds. Then in our case that message changes to show the type of cabin, section, deck, cabin number and a "Find out more" link to the "Before you sail" -> "Life on board" page.

It's nice to be able to report an improvement to the Cunard website functionality once in a while.

• Like 2

Thanks for this info. I'm another who was unable to enter contact info because the US state name was completely filled out rather than the 2-character abbreviation. I rely heavily on Chrome's autofill feature so I was in a cycle of letting it autofill the complete state name every time I tried to enter my traveling companion's information.

Maybe there should be a link to this thread or a shorter summary somewhere pointing out the issues and resolution.

Every cruise line board complains about their website! But I agree, Cunard is particularly challenging.

I’m really annoyed that as the second name on the reservation I can’t do certain things. I’m the planner.  So, I have to log in using my husband’s information. I’m also annoyed that there doesn’t seem to be a way to establish an account. You have to log in with your confirmation each time. Avalon Waterways is the only other site I’ve seen do that.

No excursions listed either. I get that they may change for a voyage so far out as next summer, but why no listings of the usuals for planning and research? And finally, even for simple things, like ordering stateroom gifts (I always have flowers in the cabin), one has to call. They aren’t encouraging us to stick around, dream, plan, and *purchase*!!

33 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Every cruise line board complains about their website! But I agree, Cunard is particularly challenging.

I’m really annoyed that as the second name on the reservation I can’t do certain things. I’m the planner.  So, I have to log in using my husband’s information. I’m also annoyed that there doesn’t seem to be a way to establish an account. You have to log in with your confirmation each time. Avalon Waterways is the only other site I’ve seen do that.

No excursions listed either. I get that they may change for a voyage so far out as next summer, but why no listings of the usuals for planning and research? And finally, even for simple things, like ordering stateroom gifts (I always have flowers in the cabin), one has to call. They aren’t encouraging us to stick around, dream, plan, and *purchase*!!

Use a travel agent. They can deal with all the hassles for you, and, much as I love their holidays, with the Cunard website and Cunard shoreside, there are likely to be more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Use a travel agent. They can deal with all the hassles for you, and, much as I love their holidays, with the Cunard website and Cunard shoreside, there are likely to be more. 

We do have a good travel agent who looks out for us. It’s just odd about these things! At the end of the day, they are small hassles. 

24 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

We do have a good travel agent who looks out for us. It’s just odd about these things! At the end of the day, they are small hassles. 

They are, but much better for someone else to deal with. 😀

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 2

Now I'm trying to enter emergency contact info and running into the same issues even with carefully entering 2-digit abbreviations for states.
Eventually I'll break down and ask my travel agent but I can't help feeling like there's some data validity check that I'm unknowingly violating. 

Here's a problem with the Cunard website that, I bet, I am one of very few who have discovered it. But it is annoying!

I want to check my booking. I enter my booking number, my first name, my last name. And then I get to my birthday. I select February. Next I go to the date....pull down and it goes 1 through 28. No 29. My birthday is February 29. Then I go to the year and select my year of birth. Then I go back to the date and a 29 has magically appeared. Why??? If I were born on April 12, I would be allowed to choose April 13 by mistake. Why are us leap-year babies being persecuted??!!  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, trulytracy said:

I go to the year and select my year of birth. Then I go back to the date and a 29 has magically appeared. Why??

Because there are only 29 days in February in leap years. If the 'Day' drop-down allowed 29 days for every year there would be a lot of mistakes where folks chose 29 even in years that aren't leap years. Can you start with the year and work to the left? That is, enter the year, then the month then the day.

• Like 1

The leap year issue with day 29 is surely a practicality management decision, as frankp01 says.  However I must admit I would not wish to put my date of birth, even without the birth year, into an open forum as it increases security risk.  There are always some less honest people who might use that information to try to get into someone's account, not just on this forum. Just suggesting to be careful in the current times.

44 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Because there are only 29 days in February in leap years. If the 'Day' drop-down allowed 29 days for every year there would be a lot of mistakes where folks chose 29 even in years that aren't leap years. Can you start with the year and work to the left? That is, enter the year, then the month then the day.

Would there really though? No more so than somebody with a birthday on literally any other day of the year accidentally selecting the date after theirs. Perhaps 28th Feb babies might do it more often because they're used to just selecting the final february date.

If it is possible to make an error in selecting February 29th then some fraction of people will do it, even if completely inadvertantly. Of course it would also be very easy to code the web site so that selecting the 29th of any month other than February simply refuses to login, rather than crashing into oblivion! On the other given the historic performance of the web site coding engineers, I might not bet on the robustness of adding that in as an option!

• 5 weeks later...

It is nearly a month since a post to this topic, but I'll give you today's special.  I have just received an email about all the things to look forward to on my trip in a few weeks, full of 'More Details'  links into the website.

Most of which give 'page not found'. 

It is a matter of taste whether that is a problem with their emails or their website ...

Out of idle curiosity, I visited the personalizer [my.cunard.com] to see if my guarantee room has been assigned [not yet]

I decided to see what oddities were visible - and the day by day view of the calendar shows 31 October as a port day. The actual port day is 1 November. Likely this is due to some sort of 'off by 1' error walking a database result set [and failure to test/audit the web site code]. The week view and the month view do not have that error.

This is the same sort of error that on 'cunardguides.com' puts Singapore as the next port of call after New York [no feedback link on that web site]

On 9/30/2022 at 4:09 PM, TheOldBear said:

the day by day view of the calendar shows 31 October as a port day. The actual port day is 1 November. Likely this is due to some sort of 'off by 1' error walking a database result set [and failure to test/audit the web site code]. The week view and the month view do not have that error.

I just noticed that over the weekend. My personalizer shows that I have a St Lucia excursion booked on the day the Day view says we're in St Kitts.  The actual minor issue with this is that which nights are Gala nights is only shown in the Day view. One of them seems to be either Thanksgiving Day (a port day) or the night before (sea day), either of which makes sense. But knowing whether it's going to be on the port day would help us plan that day.

image.png.77f00ae68471c477e93553c45e263c70.png
Here is a fragment of my luggage tag.  Is it really not possible to pick a font size where
1.  The whole of the cabin number fits between the fold lines

2.  They don't lose the 'T' of 'TWELVE'
3. The 'E' does not overlap the origin port?

Or perhaps design a wider label?

It all adds to a sense the developers just don't care about the site.

I assume in practice only the 12F matters until it on the floor, the '00smudge' is enough for the people handling the luggage to work out the cabin from the half-number

Edited by WestonOne

5 hours ago, WestonOne said:

image.png.77f00ae68471c477e93553c45e263c70.png
Here is a fragment of my luggage tag.  Is it really not possible to pick a font size where
1.  The whole of the cabin number fits between the fold lines

2.  They don't lose the 'T' of 'TWELVE'
3. The 'E' does not overlap the origin port?

Or perhaps design a wider label?

It all adds to a sense the developers just don't care about the site.

I assume in practice only the 12F matters until it on the floor, the '00smudge' is enough for the people handling the luggage to work out the cabin from the half-number

Could it be your Brower?

Had no trouble even if I had to fold it a bit wider. My were perfectly fine printed.

I use a commercial tag holder that shows from the and back.

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Could it be your Brower?

Had no trouble even if I had to fold it a bit wider. My were perfectly fine printed.

I use a commercial tag holder that shows from the and back.

That's a good thought, so I have now checked it with Edge,  Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox.  It is just the same in each.

In any case, I would have not been happy when I was in charge of a department if anyone had come up to me and said the problem was the browser.  Differences between them are a nightmare from the developer's point of view, but I would have expected to see it tested on the most common ones as a minimum. 

I will fold the label wide and also use tag holders so in the sense of it being useable there is no real issue.  It is more that, having run teams and departments, I don't like to see things that are clearly wrong just left.

Underwatr's joke is probably accurate.  If it was tested at all, it was probably tested with a cabin number which is small enough so the issues do not show up. 

Edge cases, developers, edge cases!