bathroom glasses cleaned, not replaced??

CaliforniaDon

We just returned from the Caribbean on the Equinox. Because our two bathroom glasses were slightly different from each other - one had a thinner rim  (and it had a miniature chip) we discovered that they were NOT replaced daily, or ever.   They looked clean, fresh and spotless, but they were the same ones.  We were surprised and don't want to think about how they are cleaned - especially since we were at the end of our section's daily routine.  What about the ice bucket glasses?

Princess has paper saucers covering the glasses each day, but now I wonder if those also were cleaned, not replaced? It may be time to face reality.  Were our  glasses even "new" on day one?  Does someone know the painful truth on this -- or do we need to take comfort that we at least had our own toilet brush in our bathroom? ick!

• Like 1

I understand it in a hotel with changing room customers daily, but with a cruise SR…….so what? They are cleaned. I’ve been known to drink out of the same glass when I know its mine a 2nd time even when Not cleaned. 

and since I’ve been know to kiss my mate on the lips, I’ve not worried about sharing glasses……although she’s not been happy when I drank out of her water bottle…..more towards drinking all of hers. 

Since they make a major cleaning between cruises, changing glasses is part of it…..I’ve seen rollers with lots of water glasses in the halls when we did B2B’s. 

Den

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Wash them yourself if it is that concerning. 

Is the correct answer! If you knew what they are wiped with in hotels and cruise ships, you wouldn't use them without washing and they're only changed if broken!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Is the correct answer! If you knew what they are wiped with in hotels and cruise ships, you wouldn't use them without washing and they're only changed if broken!

Ahh!  So I should break the glasses each day, to get new ones?  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Kind of reminds me of a thread where a poster who was mad there wasn’t self-laundry and they wouldn’t use the ship laundry service because they didn’t want their clothes washed with other peoples’…….they said they didnt want to think about what people did in those clothes. 

I told them they should Never cruise since the towels they used were all washed in the same machines, and the sheets they slept between were also….and they Didn’t want to even think about what people did between those sheets!!! I kind of ruined the thread for them! 

I know, I’ve posted this before, but I just can’t help myself!

den

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sigh.  I guess this cruising thing just isn't for me.  😭

Or staying in a hotel, going to a bar, restaurant…….and keep an eye on your housemate!!

den

I have always believed that people who encounter some level of germs and dirt are healthier than those who lived in sterile environments. Farm kids who slop around in ---well, the slop are known to develop stronger immune systems. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I don't use glasses in hotels or cruise ships. I bring a water bottle and refill it and drink from that. If you're on the drink package, grabbing a bottled water from the bar is also a good option.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Or staying in a hotel, going to a bar, restaurant…….and keep an eye on your housemate!!

den

My husband likes to clean my collectible Macallan scotch glass even when I tell him not to.  I’ve had it since about 2006.  Got it from moving into a cubicle at work of someone who had quit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

I have always believed that people who encounter some level of germs and dirt are healthier than those who lived in sterile environments. Farm kids who slop around in ---well, the slop are known to develop stronger immune systems. 

That has been proven to be true overall, but mostly in childhood.  We are talking the age of Covid and we are talking of many people of an age way past childhood whose immune systems are not what they used to be.

I am not a germaphobe, but I have never used a cruise or hotel glass in my cabin/room that I did not first clean myself.  Mostly I rely on water bottles I purchase or the refillable bottle I use as I do not like the new aluminum bottles Celebrity is using.

• Like 1

I realize there is this chance of a bit too much ‘sharing’, but the posters who don’t use glasses on cruise, does that mean you don’t order drinks at a bar or while dining? And all the other items we use that others have used prior are an issue? 

I’m not poking fun or anything at all. I’ve found myself using paper towels to open doors and use my elbow and so on on doors to push open, but just curious where the line is drawn. 

Story related to people who are ‘germaphobes’ and the idea that those that aren’t have better protection from getting ill. On our first cruise, the waiter, an Indian fellow, commented that he’d heard Americans wouldn’t go to India because it was so ‘dirty’, and he said how much more healthy they were because they were exposed to it all. I thought it made sense until the 4th night or so, he wasn’t there. I asked after him and the waiter told me he was sick in the cabin and was being isolated…….I had to chuckle a bit. Made sure he got his tip; in those days it was all done with envelopes.

Den

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I realize there is this chance of a bit too much ‘sharing’, but the posters who don’t use glasses on cruise, does that mean you don’t order drinks at a bar or while dining? And all the other items we use that others have used prior are an issue? 

I’m not poking fun or anything at all. I’ve found myself using paper towels to open doors and use my elbow and so on on doors to push open, but just curious where the line is drawn. 

Story related to people who are ‘germaphobes’ and the idea that those that aren’t have better protection from getting ill. On our first cruise, the waiter, an Indian fellow, commented that he’d heard Americans wouldn’t go to India because it was so ‘dirty’, and he said how much more healthy they were because they were exposed to it all. I thought it made sense until the 4th night or so, he wasn’t there. I asked after him and the waiter told me he was sick in the cabin and was being isolated…….I had to chuckle a bit. Made sure he got his tip; in those days it was all done with envelopes.

Den

I just tilt my head back and the waiter pours the wine in my mouth.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I just tilt my head back and the waiter pours the wine in my mouth.

Post a photo of this!!…..we’ve Got to cruise together, we could share a bottle and save on the glasses.

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruiserN1 said:

I don't use glasses in hotels or cruise ships. I bring a water bottle and refill it and drink from that. If you're on the drink package, grabbing a bottled water from the bar is also a good option.

I don't use the bathroom glasses for anything but holding our toothbrushes.  I obviously do drink from glasses elsewhere on the ship and do assume they are properly cleaned.  

31 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Glasses in areas of the ship where food and beverages are served are sanitized in a dishwasher as protocol (take the Behind the Scenes tour sometime and you'll see the process). I think we're talking here about glasses in the staterooms. It appears to not be protocol for stewards to collect glasses and send them through the dishwasher. 

Edited by CruiserN1
typo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I don't use the bathroom glasses for anything but holding our toothbrushes.  I obviously do drink from glasses elsewhere on the ship and do assume they are properly cleaned.  

Why assume a lounge glass is cleaned and  a BR glass wouldn’t be ‘properly cleaned’ since its right next to a sink and soap and so on? 

Aren’t we a bit over worried about this? Its not a glass being shared;  It’s in a private area; it appears clean and there is no reason to think it isn’t. You can take this a bit too far on what the steward isn’t cleaning cant you? 

I think I’m out of my league on this one.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Alcohol does kill germs. 🤣🍺

• Haha 1