Should Cunard allow large 'Private Group' bookings

Solent Richard

The cruise I was referring to was the Cheltenham Literary Festival and was in coordination and group booking through The Times. There was many complaints from those on roundtrip TA. Cunard havent learned and money obviously sways because they have done it again and is done on annual basis.

• Like 1

I can certainly sympathise greatly with anyone who booked such a trip before Cunard said it was happening and that it would affect availability of normal locations.  Even more so if Cunard do not announce at all and it just happens.    But equally, when they do announce it, it can be attractive.  I am booked on a Transatlantic with  the National Symphony Orchestra, which will necessarily displace some theatre shows, might affect access to the Queens room and so on.  Having that somewhat different entertainment was part of why we chose to book on that specific trip.  I would also have considered the Literary Festival, for example, but the timing did not suit.

On balance, as long are people at told when they book, I am in favour of such event voyages for variety..

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WestonOne said:

I can certainly sympathise greatly with anyone who booked such a trip before Cunard said it was happening and that it would affect availability of normal locations.  Even more so if Cunard do not announce at all and it just happens.    But equally, when they do announce it, it can be attractive.  I am booked on a Transatlantic with  the National Symphony Orchestra, which will necessarily displace some theatre shows, might affect access to the Queens room and so on.  Having that somewhat different entertainment was part of why we chose to book on that specific trip.  I would also have considered the Literary Festival, for example, but the timing did not suit.

On balance, as long are people at told when they book, I am in favour of such event voyages for variety..

It will not impact on your cruise in any way as we have cruised before when the National Symphony Orchestra was onboard QM2. Firstly you dont get a full orchestra and they do shows in the theatre on normal evenings as well as other performers and dance company shows on other nights. Anthony Inglis usually does a talk in the theatre and they didnt appear or use the Queens Room at all. The show we did see in the theatre one evening was brilliant and possibly the best show we have seen on a ship.

Edited by majortom10

A good friend has a friend who just returned from a QM2 "vintage" group trip. Knowing our love of the QM2 he offered to show us the photos she shared with him. I'll admit it looked like the group was fun. I did see one event that particularly rankled, however. It looked like there was an event where Captain Hashmi posed for photos. Since the World Club parties aren't taking place, I thought was very unfair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

It will not impact on your cruise in any way as we have cruised before when the National Symphony Orchestra was onboard QM2. Firstly you dont get a full orchestra and they do shows in the theatre on normal evenings as well as other performers and dance company shows on other nights. Anthony Inglis usually does a talk in the theatre and they didnt appear or use the Queens Room at all. The show we did see in the theatre one evening was brilliant and possibly the best show we have seen on a ship.

The NSO does have an impact - I have noticed NSO musicians sitting in with Cunard musicians, and also playing in the Carthenia lounge during the day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

The NSO does have an impact - I have noticed NSO musicians sitting in with Cunard musicians, and also playing in the Carthenia lounge during the day. 

They do perhaps but everyone on the ship is allowed to see them wherever they are. We are discussing "private group bookings" who take over parts of the ship and unless you are part of that private group you are not allowed to join in. With the literary festival held onboard many times you were not allowed to join in if you hadnt booked the cruise with them and other parts of the ship i.e. planetarium was cancelled for the duration of the cruise so they could hold talks/lectures in their. That doesnt happen with NSO they are booked by Cunard as a theme for the cruise and whatever they do on the ship is open to all and they dont commandeer the whole ship.

• Like 3

Concerning the Literature Festival at Sea, I agree it was the most immersive theme I've seen on a Cunard voyage with the number of venues on the ship that were used for festival events at various times during the week.

Illuminations

Royal Court Theatre

Carinthia Lounge

Commodore Club

Golden Lion

Library

ConneXions Rooms

Grand Lobby (book signings)

But I was not aware any of the events were only open to those who had booked the cruise through The Times or the Cheltenham festival organizers. There were some events where you had to sign up in advance at a desk outside the Royal Court Theatre. Certainly everything on the massive schedule of events I was provided was open to me even though I booked the voyage through my usual travel agent.

I would be curious to learn what activities for the Literature Festival at Sea were not available to those who booked independently of the festival organizers. I think that's a useful point to clarify if we can to possibly differentiate the Literature Festival at Sea from the recent Vintage Group voyages were venues were definitely reserved for that group's exclusive use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Concerning the Literature Festival at Sea, I agree it was the most immersive theme I've seen on a Cunard voyage with the number of venues on the ship that were used for festival events at various times during the week.

Illuminations

Royal Court Theatre

Carinthia Lounge

Commodore Club

Golden Lion

Library

ConneXions Rooms

Grand Lobby (book signings)

But I was not aware any of the events were only open to those who had booked the cruise through The Times or the Cheltenham festival organizers. There were some events where you had to sign up in advance at a desk outside the Royal Court Theatre. Certainly everything on the massive schedule of events I was provided was open to me even though I booked the voyage through my usual travel agent.

I would be curious to learn what activities for the Literature Festival at Sea were not available to those who booked independently of the festival organizers. I think that's a useful point to clarify if we can to possibly differentiate the Literature Festival at Sea from the recent Vintage Group voyages were venues were definitely reserved for that group's exclusive use.

When we were on QM2 when trying to sign up for programme events in Connexions outside Royal Court Theatre we were told we couldnt because we had not booked as part of the group for the Literature Festival. You could attend parts of the programme in Royal Court Theatre, Illuminations and others but all the shows for the Planetarium were cancelled to allow talks with regards to Literature Festival. We spoke to many cruisers who had joined QM2 in New York for 7nt TA unbeknown that it was a literature festival cruise and were very disappointed that they couldnt attend the Planetarium.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

When we were on QM2 when trying to sign up for programme events in Connexions outside Royal Court Theatre we were told we couldnt because we had not booked as part of the group for the Literature Festival. ...

Thank you for that clarification. I was not aware the Literature Festival at Sea events held in the ConneXions rooms which you needed to sign up for were reserved for those who booked through the event organizers. I stand corrected.

Just as an aside relating to the ConneXions rooms, it looks like the daily "Social Bridge and Whist" activity which usually takes place in ConneXions 4 & 5 was relocated to the Belgravia Room during the Literature Festival at Sea.

I was on the QM2 2019 Literary Festival crossing and have booked the 2022 and 2023 Literary Festivals.  There were a few events held in ConneXions that were only open to people who had booked through the Sunday London Times, however 90-95% of the literary events (e.g. lectures, book signings, meet the author, literary quizzes, etc.) were open to ALL passengers. 

• Like 1

If I booked a cruise and was not told that I would not have access to certain areas of the ship then I would be angry!  If there is going to be limited access on a cruise that you are going to book, then Cunard should definitely have a notification during the booking process to make you aware.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

If I booked a cruise and was not told that I would not have access to certain areas of the ship then I would be angry!  If there is going to be limited access on a cruise that you are going to book, then Cunard should definitely have a notification during the booking process to make you aware.  

Unfortunately, like what happened to us Cunard announced a good six months after we booked that the return part of our roundtrip TA on QM2 was a Literary Festival and like I said previously they virtually took over the whole ship for the crossing. If I had known when we booked I would not have booked it and when I did find out I contacted Cunard to try and cancel it and they didnt want to know and if I did I would have lost my deposit which at 15% was a considerable sum. There were many on the ship that were not very happy especially as Planetarium was closed and all the films shown were "heavy" based on pleasing the Literature group.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately, like what happened to us Cunard announced a good six months after we booked that the return part of our roundtrip TA on QM2 was a Literary Festival and like I said previously they virtually took over the whole ship for the crossing. If I had known when we booked I would not have booked it and when I did find out I contacted Cunard to try and cancel it and they didnt want to know and if I did I would have lost my deposit which at 15% was a considerable sum. There were many on the ship that were not very happy especially as Planetarium was closed and all the films shown were "heavy" based on pleasing the Literature group.

That was awful for you!  I can remember reading years ago, I think it was on the HAL boards?, that a cruise was taken over by some group but the non-group passengers, tried to go into places anyway and I can only imagine what that would have been like.  I can't clearly remember what the outcome was. Understandable though.

Edited by alibabacruisers

• 6 months later...

Having just read this topic, I must admit to being a bit concerned as I am on the December 3rd Literary Festival (inadvertently).  I did not know that it was the Literary Festival when I signed up (and now it sounds like I may regret it).  I was just on board the QM2 from October 25 to November 20 for the Northern Lights and loved it, but the thought of some large group taking over the main venues sounds dreadful.  The October / November crossings both had themes (Anthony Ingles and NSO on the Eastbound and the Greatest Generation on the Westbound), but they did not overwhelm the QM2 and there were plenty of options available. I will be particularly disappointed if the planetarium is closed due to the Literary Festival. It sounds like the Literary Festival may be a different (unfavorable) situation than what I have experienced on my last crossings.

Does anyone have any additional insights?  When I am back home I will offer my thoughts, but I usually don't try to post while on board given the quality of the internet. 

10 hours ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

Having just read this topic, I must admit to being a bit concerned as I am on the December 3rd Literary Festival (inadvertently).  I did not know that it was the Literary Festival when I signed up (and now it sounds like I may regret it).  I was just on board the QM2 from October 25 to November 20 for the Northern Lights and loved it, but the thought of some large group taking over the main venues sounds dreadful.  The October / November crossings both had themes (Anthony Ingles and NSO on the Eastbound and the Greatest Generation on the Westbound), but they did not overwhelm the QM2 and there were plenty of options available. I will be particularly disappointed if the planetarium is closed due to the Literary Festival. It sounds like the Literary Festival may be a different (unfavorable) situation than what I have experienced on my last crossings.

Does anyone have any additional insights?  When I am back home I will offer my thoughts, but I usually don't try to post while on board given the quality of the internet. 

When we were  inadvertently on Literature Festival as the second week of roundtrip TA the second week was a totally different experience. The Planetarium was closed and room was used every day as part of festival. There were many complaints from people who had booked the cruise prior to it being announced as literature festival. The main complaint was some experiences were not available unless you had booked as part of festival and all there was to do is sit in bars drinking coffee.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, siforest65 said:

We were on the April 24th cruise being discussed and to be honest we enjoyed having the group onboard. They added some good atmosphere and were very polite and friendly when we spoke to them.

In fact the vibe was better than the return leg when they weren’t onboard.

I wouldn’t be put off booking again if they were onboard.

Totally different atmosphere when we did Literary Festival NY-Sou on roundtrip TA. The atmosphere was totally different compared to first week they walked around with their literary festival lanyards on and thought they had priority over everybody else and looked down their noses ast you as if you shouldnt be on the cruise. Many who didnt know it was a Literary Festival, or it had not been announced, when booking which included us complained to reception and many I spoke to said it had been the worst TA they had done and they couldnt wait to get off.

I  am of  ''the only person who can intimidate you, is yourself'' way of approaching life so I would not be intimidated by any lanyard wearing  fellow passengers [or anyone onboard for that matter] but I would be annoyed if the lanyard wearing passengers had frequent access to many parts of the ship which precluded me from entering.

So it would depend on how intrusive the charter[?] group was as to how annoyed I'd be.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I  am of  ''the only person who can intimidate you, is yourself'' way of approaching life so I would not be intimidated by any lanyard wearing  fellow passengers [or anyone onboard for that matter] but I would be annoyed if the lanyard wearing passengers had frequent access to many parts of the ship which precluded me from entering.

So it would depend on how intrusive the charter[?] group was as to how annoyed I'd be.

There were rooms on the ship where you were not allowed if you were not part of the Literature Festival.

The group's website is not difficult to find and is showing a crossing departing from Southampton on May 18th.  What stands out is a comment which states that unless you have booked with them you will be turned away from any of the venues. There will be 5+ private parties and 1 cocktail party.  Apparently regular passengers will be jealous of how they are dressed and envious of the fun they will be experiencing !!!  

How patronising.

I do understand that Cunard is a business and in these troubled times they don't want to turn custom away, but I'm glad I won't be on board.

• Like 1

I was on the Literary Festival in 2019 and am on the 2022 festival which is boarding in 3 days.  There are some mis-statements and some accurate statements in the posts above.  In 2019, those who booked through the London Times site may have been issued lanyards, but I booked via Cunard and did not have a lanyard, nor did many other participants. Yes, Illuminations was closed due to the number of Literary events (Royal Court and Illuminations were used).  This year's literary schedule has fewer daily events so Cunard and the organizer have learned from the 2019 experiences; note that there are events in Illuminations each day, but there are less than in 2019, so the planetarium shows may be offered during non-event times.  The vast majority of events were open to ALL passengers, regardless of whether someone registered with the Times and all open events were posted in the daily newspaper so that everyone on board knew when/where/what. Since I am a book lover, I sought out this voyage and quite enjoyed it!

However, I've experienced the other side of the coin when it comes to having groups of ballroom dancers (local clubs who bring anywhere from 12 to 40 dancers and hosts) on board.  They take over the dance floor, tend to intimidate less "showy" dancers and use up a large portion of the Cunard dance hosts' available time.  They also book private lessons and private parties in some of the lounges.  Having these groups on board ruins the dance experience for me...so I can empathize with passengers who expect the "normal" on--board experience and encounter a different reality.  

• Like 1

Some years back we had a pretty much similar experience on QM2 when there was a dance group of about 50 who were inconsiderate and aggressive and took over rooms much the same as you experienced. We have made sure we check no such groups are booked on any voyage we may want to book. It's easy enough to find the websites of the dance organisations that book large cruise dance group cruises. They usually let their members know a year or more ahead.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Queenvee said:

I was on the Literary Festival in 2019 and am on the 2022 festival which is boarding in 3 days.  There are some mis-statements and some accurate statements in the posts above.  In 2019, those who booked through the London Times site may have been issued lanyards, but I booked via Cunard and did not have a lanyard, nor did many other participants. Yes, Illuminations was closed due to the number of Literary events (Royal Court and Illuminations were used).  This year's literary schedule has fewer daily events so Cunard and the organizer have learned from the 2019 experiences; note that there are events in Illuminations each day, but there are less than in 2019, so the planetarium shows may be offered during non-event times.  The vast majority of events were open to ALL passengers, regardless of whether someone registered with the Times and all open events were posted in the daily newspaper so that everyone on board knew when/where/what. Since I am a book lover, I sought out this voyage and quite enjoyed it!

However, I've experienced the other side of the coin when it comes to having groups of ballroom dancers (local clubs who bring anywhere from 12 to 40 dancers and hosts) on board.  They take over the dance floor, tend to intimidate less "showy" dancers and use up a large portion of the Cunard dance hosts' available time.  They also book private lessons and private parties in some of the lounges.  Having these groups on board ruins the dance experience for me...so I can empathize with passengers who expect the "normal" on--board experience and encounter a different reality.  

Where are finding the literary schedule for the upcoming crossing?  I am particularly concerned about access to the planetarium (Illuminations) as in my prior recent crossings, it seemed like there was only about two planetarium showings per day, always in the afternoon.  On the prior crossing, access to the planetarium was difficult as demand always exceeded space (this may have been worse than normal since it was the Northern Lights voyage).

Anyway, my question is where are you seeing a listing of the literary events? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Queenvee said:

However, I've experienced the other side of the coin when it comes to having groups of ballroom dancers (local clubs who bring anywhere from 12 to 40 dancers and hosts) on board.  They take over the dance floor, tend to intimidate less "showy" dancers and use up a large portion of the Cunard dance hosts' available time. Having these groups on board ruins the dance experience for me...so I can empathize with passengers who expect the "normal" on--board experience and encounter a different reality.  

3 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Some years back we had a pretty much similar experience on QM2 when there was a dance group of about 50 who were inconsiderate and aggressive and took over rooms much the same as you experienced. We have made sure we check no such groups are booked on any voyage we may want to book. It's easy enough to find the websites of the dance organisations that book large cruise dance group cruises. They usually let their members know a year or more ahead.

Dear ballroom-cruisers and Queenvee,

You have my sympathy as I too have joined the group of those who have experienced this on several past sailings that agree with "Having these group(s) on board ruins the dance experience for me"..

I think you agree that they make themselves known with lapel labels on themselves and mostly sit on the right side - lower area of the Qx Rm. 

On this last sailing this past September on the QM2 this first part of the cruise - 7 days NYC-Quebec it was evident they were on board. Same group, same location, same ID on themselves. They must eat very early as they were there when the canned music was being played. The group was about 20-30. Continuous on the dance floor with all different moves and areas of the floor preventing regular passengers of all ages to dance traditional music.

When the bands played they seem to have played music related to those on the floor (them). No slow dances were played at all....yes at all. I could see people leaving the Qx Rm or just sat and watched.

So several times we went into the G32 to listened to the DJ or the visiting group with pleasure. Well several times when the music break occurred outside they came inside and took over the floor with wide use of area. Yes it was them. Music outside started....out they went... They don't seem to sit.

No disrespect to dancers on board which real skillful ones it a pleasure to see and wish we can do but these others are intimidating. My DW and I were unable to dance the entire cruise and threatened to dance with her in our cabin. We are booked in July for 7 days and unfortunately expect them to be there.... So we have to figure this out.  But sorry you too experienced this same thing. 

BklynBoy8: The experience we had as 'normal ballroom dancers' on that one QM2 cruise some years ago was sufficiently impacted that we have made sure we are not on the ship at the same time as such a group ever again, so continue to plan to avoid them on any voyage we take in the future. The group concerned on that occasion not only 'took over' the floor in the Queen's Room every evening, but also block booked G32 in the daytime for their private use - one afternoon I went in to G32 to use the normally empty floor for a bit of my own dance practice, and although nobody else was on the floor either, one of the 'group members' was in the room with a laptop and told me directly that the room was booked for the use of 'group members' only as a private reserved area!   In addition upon arriving in the Queens Room in the evening around 7.30pm an array of tables nearest the dance floor had jackets, sweatshirts, and glasses of drinks placed to 'reserve' those tables for group members, some of whom then were in dinner until up to two hours later to take their reserved chairs, which meant no normal passenger could then sit there whilst it was unoccupied - when this was brought to the attention of crew, no action was taken.  I am also sorry for any other normal dance passengers who experience these kinds of issues, and hope you can work out something for your planned July cruise. Although it is against forum rules to name the groups concerned or give any details, perhaps one of the Facebook private groups can share that information if anyone can't find it by searching on the net.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
word change