Can you get off the ship after embarking?

Torquer

On our next cruise on embarkation day the ship leaves port at 7PM.  We plan to get on the ship at noon, or as early as possible, drop our carry-on bags in our cabin and have lunch.  Is it then possible to leave the ship and do some nearby sightseeing, probably on foot, and then return to the ship before she sails.

I have never heard of people doing this, but we also never had a cruise that actually left this late in the evening.  I could imagine HAL might not permit it since it would be confusing with people in the terminal doing initial check-in versus people returning to the ship that already had their key cards.

Key cards are now left in the mailbox outside the stateroom door (well that's what was happening last year).

There are normally arrangements made for those who are on back to back cruises to reboard.  

Might be possible ok.

I did this once in Yokohama a few years ago. However, this was before Covid and a lot of security issues. I think about half the ship which had come from Seattle, were staying on.   I asked the check in staff it it was possible to do it and they said yes.   I just had to scan out and then back in later.  I got the impression that people staying on the ship were not given transit cards but were just scanned off if they wanted to go ashore.  When I did B2Bs in places like FLL it was a big production with transit cards.  You can always ask when boarding.

We did this in New York a few years ago. The ship wasn’t leaving until 10 pm.  We boarded around 11:30 and came back for the muster drill which was at 4 and then left again for dinner with family and friends returning around 9 pm.  We were later told we could have done a makeup muster drill the next morning, as many people weren’t even on board yet for the 4:00 drill.  Now, of course they are done differently. 

8 hours ago, Torquer said:

On our next cruise on embarkation day the ship leaves port at 7PM.  We plan to get on the ship at noon, or as early as possible, drop our carry-on bags in our cabin and have lunch.  Is it then possible to leave the ship and do some nearby sightseeing, probably on foot, and then return to the ship before she sails.

I have never heard of people doing this, but we also never had a cruise that actually left this late in the evening.  I could imagine HAL might not permit it since it would be confusing with people in the terminal doing initial check-in versus people returning to the ship that already had their key cards.

Doing what you want to do here is no problem - there is usually a separate line in the terminal for "IN transit passengers and crew"   If you can't do it for some reason,  they will stop you when you try to get off.    

I was wondering the same thing as we are embarking from Trieste at 11 PM and leaving Venice on the 9AM transfer.  That would still get us to the terminal 10 or 11 hours before departure.  If nothing else maybe we could drop our bags off and check in later.

• 3 weeks later...

We did this pre-Covid in Seward, Alaska. We were the first people to board at 11 am and the ship wasn’t leaving until 9 pm. We realized we forgot a few toiletries - it was easy to get off the ship, go shopping, and get back on. 

On 5/11/2022 at 10:47 PM, Bookited said:

I was wondering the same thing as we are embarking from Trieste at 11 PM and leaving Venice on the 9AM transfer.  That would still get us to the terminal 10 or 11 hours before departure.  If nothing else maybe we could drop our bags off and check in later.

You should definitely try to see some of Trieste!

I have gotten off the ship after boarding a few times with no problem; mainly in Europe.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 11:47 PM, Bookited said:

You can check in right away based on my past experience.  We were in Venice overnight - trust me, people weren’t staying on board after check in 😉.  I’ve been researching Trieste as we are overnight there before disembarkation and it looks like a lovely spot - well worth exploring on it’s own. 👍 

I believe from reading the Roll Calls that you are departing from Trieste.

We boarded in Trieste on Monday 13th June and while we were boarding there were a few people leaving the ship.  Whether they had boarded earlier or had boarded the previous week, is irrelevant.  I believe that you will have no problem in disembarking and re embarking that day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I believe from reading the Roll Calls that you are departing from Trieste.

We boarded in Trieste on Monday 13th June and while we were boarding there were a few people leaving the ship.  Whether they had boarded earlier or had boarded the previous week, is irrelevant.  I believe that you will have no problem in disembarking and re embarking that day.

Good to know and looking forward to meeting you when you board for the trans-Atlantic.

• Like 1