Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

I am loving this review! The pictures are getting me excited for my cruise on Ovation to Alaska in August. The Ovation looks like it will keep the teenage boys well occupied!

I do have one question. I want to get an ulu (knife) in Alaska. Are you able to bring them back on the ship? I heard some cruises take them and you get a receipt to get it back at the end of the cruise and others are not allowing them and require you to have it shipped home before you board.

26 minutes ago, RW20 said:

I am loving this review! The pictures are getting me excited for my cruise on Ovation to Alaska in August. The Ovation looks like it will keep the teenage boys well occupied!

I do have one question. I want to get an ulu (knife) in Alaska. Are you able to bring them back on the ship? I heard some cruises take them and you get a receipt to get it back at the end of the cruise and others are not allowing them and require you to have it shipped home before you board.

I don't know.   I saw them and when I did I wondered the same thing.  Then I thought if I could I would need to remember to pack it for the plane ride.

1 hour ago, jmh2006 said:

Looks like an awesome day in Sitka!  I would love to go there one day.  Have been to Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

It was a great day.  Yesterday it forcast rain all day.  Not a drop and some sun.  It was fun.

• Like 4

Great review, following along.

Can you please tell me how far of a walk was the Totem Poles and Raptor  Center ?  I'll be on the June 3rd sailing with my family  and most of the excursions were sold out .  Thought that may be something they can do if it's not too far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bleueyes44 said:

Can you please tell me how far of a walk was the Totem Poles and Raptor  Center ?  I'll be on the June 3rd sailing with my family  and most of the excursions were sold out .  Thought that may be something they can do if it's not too far.

Thanks

It would be a total guess.  My DW said her iPhone shows that we walked about 7 miles today.  With that said we also walked to the other side of Sitka.  I would suggest googling Sitka map and look for one that has a distance indicator.   Once the bus drops you off it's at least 1/2 mile just to walk to the Nat'l park.

6 hours ago, Bleueyes44 said:

We are on the June 3 sailing and will, hopefully, be walking from the shuttle drop to the Totem Pole park. I used Google Earth to estimate the distance and got about 1/2 mile to the entrance of the parking lot. I will measure again to verify.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks

It would be a total guess.  My DW said her iPhone shows that we walked about 7 miles today.  With that said we also walked to the other side of Sitka.  I would suggest googling Sitka map and look for one that has a distance indicator.   Once the bus drops you off it's at least 1/2 mile just to walk to the Nat'l park.

This is what I measured literally minutes before reading your post.  I also used Google maps to virtually walk from the bus drop to the park. Then, your post popped up!  What great timing!  Thank you so much!  I feel much better about leading my crew on our walking adventure in Sitka.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bleueyes44 said:

Last year we found great options for excursions right after you got off the shuttle bus.  There were over a dozen vendors selling every kind of excursion you could imagine.  They were also at better prices than what had been charged in the cruise planner.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We have left Sitka so the cell service is gone and we are leaving for a show.  Will try posting more later.

How has the cell service been in ports?

We have T-Mobile and according to their coverage maps, we have service in each port. I'm not planning on getting a internet plan, just turning our phones on in port to check in on the kids. Curious how the service has been.

12 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We have left Sitka so the cell service is gone and we are leaving for a show.  Will try posting more later.

Thanks for photos and now between you and Twangster I now must visit the park during my Aug cruise on Quantum and 3rd to Sitka.

• Thanks 1