EMBARKING WITH CHEMO BALD HEAD

We have three more weeks before our short cruise in celebration of finishing a long radiation/chemo treatment for small cell lung cancer.  I have the wig (not worn since driving home from salon) and not sure after 10 weeks if I will get into the wig or nor.  I have several head coverings, i.e. beanies, scrafes, that keep my head warm and truth be know, look better than my scraggly fuzzy head.  And I certainly do not want to wear (or take)  my wig to the beach and cause confusion coming back on board.

I questioned RC about removing head coverings and this was their response:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding.

We're thrilled you have chosen to sail with us in celebration of you completing your cancer treatment !

In response to your inquiry, no hats, head coverings, or sunglasses are allowed for photos and they may also ask that you remove them during the boarding process. You can wear a wig if you choose or proudly wear your hair as it is.

We look forward to having you onboard very soon!

I'm thinking of boarding wearing one of my beanies and really do hope I don't have to remove my beanie for photo.  Anyone have experience with this?   I was going to post to general cruise credit boards but I prefer RC experiences.

• Like 4

First, congratulations on completing your treatment!!!

Second, be proud of your beautiful hair, (or lack of). It shows your courage and determination!!

I remember how hot the wigs were and how miserable I was wearing them! When my daughter had cancer at 24, I realized how gorgeous she was with nothing on her head,just wearing a great pair of earings.She rarely wore a wig. Now I see so many women doing that and admire them so much!. You do what makes YOU comfortable!!! I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes to you. I took a cruise several years ago when I was still bald from chemo. If I’m not mistaken I wore a wig for boarding. At that time, they did the seas pass boarding photo at check in.  

I wore  scarves and hats coming back from the islands, and was told to remove my hat coming through security on one of the islands.  I was fine with it, but when the security agent saw my bald head he asked me if I wanted to put my hat back on.    I was fine with my hat off, and really didn’t need any special treatment. 

Around the ship I mostly wore a baseball cap or a straw  fashion hat or occasionally a scarf.   I wore wigs to dinner.

I had no problems all week. 

Good luck. 

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@hlfrpshave you downloaded the Royal app?  You can upload a picture of yourself in the app and that's what they use for your boarding photo. You could try it and, if for some reason they don't like it, then you can re-take a photo during the boarding process.  And like others have said, I bet they won't quibble when you explain the reason.  Congratulations and hope you have a great trip. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Grandma7 said:

First, congratulations on completing your treatment!!!

Second, be proud of your beautiful hair, (or lack of). It shows your courage and determination!!

This^^^^^^

• Like 4

Congratulations for finishing your treatment and I wish you a long and cancer-free life!  I agree with the others - go bald!  In fact, get whoever is traveling with you to do it, too!  Be proud of your accomplishment, and let it be a shining (pun intended) reminder to all that this is a fight worth fighting and that you are winning!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

How does Royal address guests who wear head coverings for religious reasons?

Great Question! Mother is 2 time Cancer Survivor, has scars from Brain Surgery and is more self conscious then needs to be but I always support HER decisions!

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Before your cruise do a bit of shopping at Party City.  If the person manning the camera makes an issue of your scarf or beanie, swap it for something that rather inappropriately qualifies as a "wig". 

• Haha 4

Thanks everyone.  I'm thinking of taking picture with the beanie I will wear most of in the sun and upload to RC App.  That way picture will match on boarding from ports.  I'm somewhat brave but also feel better, look better, with head and a cover for now, looking forward to the day the hair does grow back at least evenly 😊 and then I'll go with no cover, even if it is fuzz.  

I too question :How does Royal address guests who wear head coverings for religious reasons?

RC took three weeks to answer my original question and there was no direct response to the representative who replied.  

• Like 2

The people working behind the check-in desk are usually reasonable humans. 

I'd expect accommodation will be made when the time comes.

If not, having the rainbow clown wig nearby might drive home the point.

The only place you need to remove headcoverings/sunglasses is while actually boarding the ship so they can match your security photo.  Nowhere else.  Wear a hat or not - your choice.  Anyone who notices is likely well aware of chemo effects and will be proud of you!  

Lots of ladies had headcoverings last week onboard - ice rink and theater can be downright cold and sometimes even the dining rooms.  And bring a sweater for the ice rink - lots of people there used towels and we wish we had them with us.

Use both sunscreen and a hat when off the ship.  My hair is thin enough that I burn through it.  Rocky Mountain Sunscreen is the best (Amazon). 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

My experience is that they are not required to remove their head coverings. I cruised with a friend who boarded with a head covering due to chemo hair loss. She was told she had to remove her head covering for the photo and if she wore her wig ashore, she would have to remove it upon reboarding. Her husband talked to the head of security and asked specifically about head coverings for religious reasons. My friend was a very private person and while everyone in the large group sailing together knew that she had lost her hair, none of us had seen her without her wig or head covering. It was very painful for her. 

I also had the bald head due to chemo.

I, too, was also very self conscience and always wore a head scarf when out and about.

Then came the rest area stop on I 95 and getting to the toilet was of the highest priority.

I just hopped out of the car, ran to the bathroom, and only when washing my hands afterwards and seeing myself in the mirror, realized I had not put on my scarf.

And I also realized that no one in that very busy rest area gave my 1/8 inch hair a second glance.

It was liberating.

Do what you are comfortable with, and if you do have to remove your hat, I bet no one will bat an eye at your oncologist designed hair style.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Please consider rocking that bald head, if for no other reason than it's HOT. We were on Celebrity last month and were seated next to a survivor. She ditched the wig after night 1 for comfort alone. You earned this look, you fought to be here, wear it with pride. 

But yes, definitely wear sunscreen. Ouch!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Please don't stress!

You can use any recent photo for the boarding photo. One from pre cancer is fine as well.  I use a regular photo, and just get in close.     In fact, my passport photo  back then  had me in long hair.  One cruise I had hair that was about 1/2 inch.   Back then customs  officials looked at the  passport photo and then me,  smiled and sent me on my way. 

It certainly doesn't matter if your boarding photo hair  matches your situation when getting on or returning from port. 

Personally I'd steer away from a beanie photo as that might cause  unnecessary problems. You are there to relax and  celebrate, not to fight the system.  

M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Please don't stress!

You can use any recent photo for the boarding photo. One from pre cancer is fine as well.  I use a regular photo, and just get in close.     In fact, my passport photo  back then  had me in long hair.  One cruise I had hair that was about 1/2 inch.   Back then customs  officials looked at the  passport photo and then me,  smiled and sent me on my way. 

It certainly doesn't matter if your boarding photo hair  matches your situation when getting on or returning from port. 

Personally I'd steer away from a beanie photo as that might cause  unnecessary problems. You are there to relax and  celebrate, not to fight the system.  

M

That’s a solid point re: passports. I had the exact same on one of mine. Down to my bra strap in passport pic, one inch pixie clearing customs. My face was the same, which is clearly what they look for. 

Heck, my last boarding photo on Celebrity was my LinkedIn headshot, and I can ASSURE you that I looked nothing like that anytime I was boarding the ship on vacation. 😄🫣🥵🫠 Not even boarding day. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from our three day cruise on Freedom.  Embarking photo was taken at the port with my scarf on, no questions asked.   we missed Coco Cay and did not get off in Nassau.  Disembarking was not questioned and even the Passport Disembarking Face passed the mustard.  I truly think that with the embarking photo taken with scarf on, that port embarkments would not have been questioned.  

• Like 7

On 5/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, Tee & Chilli said:

Security photos are taken with the head covering on.

If a woman had a veil over her face, she would be asked to go to a private security office with a female security personnel staffer and a full face photo would be taken.  Her head covering would remain on.

My mom, who cruises RC regularly, has lost her hair for a variety of health reasons. She uses a photo of herself in her big poofy wig (think 1960s) for her boarding pass and then mostly travels with just a little turban (as shown below from Amazon) to protect her head from sunburn. When getting off and on the ship for port days, she simply pulls the turban back a little to show a bit of her scalp and says “no wig today!” She has never been asked to completely remove her turban because she addresses the issue right away with just a little pull back of the turban. Security has always been a breeze for her with no issues. I hope that your travels go just as smoothly if you do decide to travel with your choice of head covering! 

011D9843-DE09-4373-B72A-9E77131F5446.jpeg

Hello! I was never asked to remove a wig but always had to remove my ball cap or beanie for security coming back on. In my security photo, I had the wig.  You can take that pic pre-cruise.  When I wore a hat without my wig, they did not question why one had hair and then I didn't. When I had just a ball cap, removing it and replacing it was fast - just checking everyone for contraband under their hat.  

What I choose to do is take security photo at home with wig. Then wear ball caps to port and take them off briefly (3 seconds) at security.  

If you wear a cap for your original security photo, you will have to remove it if you get the pic there.  That's why I wear the wig at home for the pic. Hope this helps.