Cruise Medications

Daniel A

DW & I will be on a 35-day cruise + 5 days next spring.  Our medication prescriptions are usually prescribed in 90-day increments.  Although 90 days is sufficient certainly, our concern is that our insurance may not want to do some refills before we leave and would only mail refills after we have left for the cruise.  We figure we will want to have at least 60-day supply of each med when we leave for the cruise to cover emergencies and (hopefully not) quarantines in foreign nations.  We aren't looking to get additional meds, we're just hoping to be able to adjust the timing of our refills before the trip.  Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you manage it?

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

DW & I will be on a 35-day cruise + 5 days next spring.  Our medication prescriptions are usually prescribed in 90-day increments.  Although 90 days is sufficient certainly, our concern is that our insurance may not want to do some refills before we leave and would only mail refills after we have left for the cruise.  We figure we will want to have at least 60-day supply of each med when we leave for the cruise to cover emergencies and (hopefully not) quarantines in foreign nations.  We aren't looking to get additional meds, we're just hoping to be able to adjust the timing of our refills before the trip.  Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you manage it?

Thank you.

GENERALLY, most doctors/pharmacies will allow a one time (once a year) early refill for instances like this.  We're taking a 4 month RV trip this summer and I had recently gotten a refill on one of my meds, but I went to the pharmacy and requested another (early) refill due to the trip.  It was filled with no problem.

Now, that typically applies to "regular" type medications, not schedule 2 type meds.  

I'd suggest you start with your pharmacy and ask if they can assist you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you manage it?

You must be receiving your medicine via a mail-order type of PBM.  I receive my medicine by that method as well.  When I have needed more than a 90 day supply, I will call, explain the situation, and request an override of the 90 day maximum.  The first person with whom I speak usually has to transfer me to someone else "on up the line".  But, I have gotten approval without much difficulty.  I recommend that you put this on your "to do list" before your cruise and don't wait too close to departure time from your home to get this matter completed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Worst-case, if your insurance won't play ball you can simply ask for one SHORTER prescription period from your physician between now and when your cruise starts. By doing a 30 or 60 or whatever, you can pull forward the next full 90-day renewal to between a week and a month before your cruise starts, easily letting you have your required dates + sensible padding worth of meds.

Obviously you'll pay an extra set of the fixed prescription fees element, but for any remotely-expensive  drug that's small potatoes, it's the per-dose cost that is the large part of the equation. Definitely ask your insurance first - they do seem generally amenable to doubling-up for extended travel

• Like 2

I would just ask the doc for an 'extra' Rx and fill it at a different pharmacy, but my meds are cheap.  I can't imagine your pharmacy having an issue with an early refill, nor your insurance company ... but they'll make you jump through some hoops so you better allow lots of time.  I forget the circumstances when I learned that my Rx refills were governed by my health insurance, but I remember being quite annoyed that some entity out there had the power to inconvenience me.  Older and wiser now, but still annoyed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I have had this problem but I have a friend who regularly does 60 to 150 day cruises.  They manage w their meds do it is doable.  Talk to your insurance provider.

DON

Meant to say "I have not not had this problem".  What I posted makes no sense.

DON

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you.

We use CVS and the pharmacist contacts our insurance for approval of a vacation allocation of any meds that would run out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming we are not talking about some truely specialized medicide, it should be possible to get medicines also in most foreign countries if your supplies run out. Sure, your insurance may not cover the costs and there might be few steps to get your prescription accepted (eg. consulation with a local medical professional), but if you have a doctor's note on your medical condition and prescribed medicines (preferably using the generic substance names rather than the brand names since these may differ in different countries), there is a good chance that you can get enough medications needed to cover the time before your delayed return home.

20 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thank you.

Insurance companies deal with this on a daily basis. Contact them and they will handle the situation for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all who have responded.  I've taken the advice and I have sent an e-mail to my mail order pharmacy (my insurance requires mail order...) asking if it can be done and if so, how?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks to all who have responded.  I've taken the advice and I have sent an e-mail to my mail order pharmacy (my insurance requires mail order...) asking if it can be done and if so, how?

Again, thanks to all, I got a very quick response from the mail order pharmacy.  They indicated once I'm closer to the specific dates of the trip, they'll submit an application for a 'vacation override.'

Thanks again!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I would just ask the doc for an 'extra' Rx and fill it at a different pharmacy,

I have done that as well without quibbling, at times, by the new pharmacy regarding insurance.  It's amazing to me with all of the electronic transmitting of information that one system does not "talk" to another system easily at times.  The downside of what I have done is that if I have authorized auto refills by either of the pharmacies, I end up with a significant oversupply of certain medicines.  Invariably, when this happens, my doctor will order a change in medicine.  I have enough of a couple  medications that I could open "rkacruiser's drug store".  

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

They indicated once I'm closer to the specific dates of the trip, they'll submit an application for a 'vacation override.'

Good news for you!  I am glad.  I have been told the same if I try to make the override request too soon.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Again, thanks to all, I got a very quick response from the mail order pharmacy.  They indicated once I'm closer to the specific dates of the trip, they'll submit an application for a 'vacation override.'

Thanks again!

Isn't it nice when you ask for advice, and it all works out like it is supposed to.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 3:51 PM, ontheweb said:

Isn't it nice when you ask for advice, and it all works out like it is supposed to.

Yes it is.   This was a great question by Daniel A and alot of cruisers may benefit from some good advice put forth.

I love it when CC works this way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JRG said:

Yes it is.   This was a great question by Daniel A and alot of cruisers may benefit from some good advice put forth.

I love it when CC works this way

These forums helped us out twice, both having to do with Boston. The first time was when we took a HAL cruise from Boston to Montreal, and I received instructions of how to get from the airport to the cruise terminal. The second time was when we did a land trip to Boston, and I received detailed instructions of how to get to our hotel from the airport, and also many good tips about things to see and do.

Both were from the port of call forums.