Is Club Class Worth the Extra Cost

sabrefan

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Exactly!  We do mini suites and specialty restaurants and throw in a couple of MDR dinners.  We save loads of money and the food and service in the specialty restaurants is superior to Club Class and no waiting in line either.  Why would anyone pay extra for CC?

I can tell you why I would. I would always pay extra on a Royal Class ship if I can get one of the forward CC minis on Lido or Marina because those are much nicer cabins with a floorplan that suits us best. I would also pay more, and I've upgraded an upcoming cruise to do that, to keep my DH out of the insanely long lines we hit on our last cruise. He has a very low toleration for standing in long lines, and it would take too many more cruises like the last one for him to not want to cruise again. I understand the math, where sometimes one could eat in a specialty restaurant every night for less money, but dinner isn't the only meal in a day. Hubby likes breakfast in the MDR and lunch there on sea days. Hubby liked suite breakfast in Sabatini's last fall, but neither of us wants to pay for a suite every cruise. Having said all this (too much!), I'll also say that there's a limit I'd pay extra for CC, except on the Royal Class.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had CC mini for the first time in January on the Regal.  We were traveling with 4 couples total.  We loved being able to walk up at anytime we wanted and getting seated immediately.   With a group dining is difficult and we had a table that was basically assigned to us with the same waiters for the whole trip.  

As far as the extra meals, I think in our group someone ordered the special every day and they were for the most part much better than the regular meals.  

We have CC again in July on the Grand and will see how it is. I don't think for us especially if traveling alone or with just one other couple that CC would totally be worth the extra $$$,  The 1/2 bottles of wine were just okay and the room location while nice definitely isn't a game changer for us since most mini suites are in a good location. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I can tell you why I would. I would always pay extra on a Royal Class ship if I can get one of the forward CC minis on Lido or Marina because those are much nicer cabins

Same for us. If we can book L107, L108, M107 or M108 on a Royal Class ship then for us it’s worth it to pay the extra for Club Class dining. If we can’t book one of these 4 cabins then we wouldn’t pay the extra for CC dining.

• Like 2

I’m glad I found this thread. We’re booked on the Island next week for an 18 day TA, in a CC mini suite. I chose CC this time because neither Anytime or Traditional dining really worked for me — either you wait, never knowing when you are going to eat and unable to do anything else during that waiting time, or you’re stuck with fixed hours that are always either too early or too late.

What I want is to be able to get in fast, whenever we want, and hopefully not spend two hours every day eating dinner, when we could be doing other things. We’ve hardly ever seen departures on port days, for example, because we’re always stuck in the dining room with no views. I hope things will be different this time … 

I’ll soon find out!

On 5/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, Dar & Bob said:

We had CC mini for the first time in January on the Regal.  We were traveling with 4 couples total.  We loved being able to walk up at anytime we wanted and getting seated immediately.   With a group dining is difficult and we had a table that was basically assigned to us with the same waiters for the whole trip.  

As far as the extra meals, I think in our group someone ordered the special every day and they were for the most part much better than the regular meals.  

We have CC again in July on the Grand and will see how it is. I don't think for us especially if traveling alone or with just one other couple that CC would totally be worth the extra $$$,  The 1/2 bottles of wine were just okay and the room location while nice definitely isn't a game changer for us since most mini suites are in a good location. 

Hope this helps

Does CC mean walk ups to specialty dining also? If we decide we want crown grille one night can we just walk up?

Just now, SmedonSeas said:

Does CC mean walk ups to specialty dining also? If we decide we want crown grille one night can we just walk up?

No.  If - and it is a big if - there are seats available you (and any other passenger that walks up without a reservation) will be seated.  If you really want to eat in a specialty restaurant, make a reservation! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeaMystique said:

I chose CC this time because neither Anytime or Traditional dining really worked for me

Anytime and traditional dining no longer exist. You either make a reservation for your preferred time each night,  or just turn up (which may involve a wait). 

12 hours ago, SmedonSeas said:

No promises on walk up dining at a specialty restaurant except for full suites on embarkation night. We always call dine line on embarking but have never had an issue with changing that at the venue

Edited by memoak

On 5/19/2022 at 12:11 AM, wowzz said:

Anytime and traditional dining no longer exist. You either make a reservation for your preferred time each night,  or just turn up (which may involve a wait). 

Hate to be picky, but what is the difference between 'anytime' and 'just walk up'

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

Hate to be picky, but what is the difference between 'anytime' and 'just walk up'

Since the number of CC diners is small and predictable, there usually aren't any lines - especially not the kind they have at popular dining times in the MDRs which can be dozens of dining parties long.  That said, the one time we did CC (January 2022 on the Caribbean Princess that was at only 33% of capacity), we did have to wait 1 or 2 nights but that was not problem.  We wanted a specific table for 4 (for the 2 of us) socially distanced from others (some of the tables for 2 were within inches not feet of one another).  The host apologized all over himself but we assured him that we had no issue whatsoever waiting   We took a beeper and had a pleasant drink and a nice chat with the bartender in an empty Vines. 

got a cheap upgrade to a full suite on regal a few years ago so i got CC.  sure it's right inside the door of the MDR and no never was a wait, but i was sandwiched together with other guests which was not fun not 'special' if you ask me. we went 2 different nites and both had bad service. we were ignored for some reason both times. no clue why.  another table had an issue too. theres really nothing special about it as far as i'm concerned. id def never pay extra for it

went to the normal part of the MDR other nites. had a table far apart from others, good service. 

Is CC only on certain ships? I tried to do a price comparison on several itineraries and do not see CC as an option. So could not compare basic Mini with CC.

As previously stated, CC value assumes you would normally book a Mini-Suite. In my test bookings the difference between Balcony and Mini Suite was $1,200 in one case and $3,100 in another. I would never see the benefit of a Mini at those prices, so do not even get to first base. Maybe longer voyages with lots of sea days would make a difference for Mini over Balcony, but even then, we do not spend much time in the cabin.

56 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Is CC only on certain ships? I tried to do a price comparison on several itineraries and do not see CC as an option. So could not compare basic Mini with CC.

As previously stated, CC value assumes you would normally book a Mini-Suite. In my test bookings the difference between Balcony and Mini Suite was $1,200 in one case and $3,100 in another. I would never see the benefit of a Mini at those prices, so do not even get to first base. Maybe longer voyages with lots of sea days would make a difference for Mini over Balcony, but even then, we do not spend much time in the cabin.

Club Class sells out on a lot of sailings. That's probably why you didn't see it. Try looking at one way out in the future and see if you see any there. For example, last time I looked, there were CC minis on the 2/25/23 Western Caribbean sailing on the Sky Princess. 

Club Class usually sells out before regular mini suites. If you want CC book early   I can’t imagine not having CC if I can afford it. Service is awesome, extra entrees and no wait

Edited by memoak
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Club Class sells out on a lot of sailings. That's probably why you didn't see it. Try looking at one way out in the future and see if you see any there. For example, last time I looked, there were CC minis on the 2/25/23 Western Caribbean sailing on the Sky Princess. 

Thanks, BTW I do see value in CC, however, as stated, I don't see value in Mini Suite over Balcony, so CC is already a bridge too far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks, BTW I do see value in CC, however, as stated, I don't see value in Mini Suite over Balcony, so CC is already a bridge too far.

We enjoy the extra space in a Mini Suite over a balcony, but only have a cc mini suite currently because of price drops

• 3 weeks later...

The Princess materials describe a Club Class benefit that is "Priority Specialty Dining Reservations -- Receive special assistance with priority reservations at your favorite specialty restaurants."

Anyone have experience with how this works?

5 minutes ago, Clutj said:

The Princess materials describe a Club Class benefit that is "Priority Specialty Dining Reservations -- Receive special assistance with priority reservations at your favorite specialty restaurants."

Personally I would take that claim with a pinch of salt.  We tried to book the Crown Grill, three days in advance, and were basically told it was full. Being club class made no difference. 

Given the number of cc cabins, I don't see how Princess can give priority reservations, short of keeping a large number of tables free every night, which they obviously will not do. 

2 hours ago, Clutj said:

I would not worry on most cruises they will pre book a number of tables and leave others open. We have always been able to get specialty restaurants after we boarded

7 hours ago, memoak said:

I would not worry on most cruises they will pre book a number of tables and leave others open. We have always been able to get specialty restaurants after we boarded

That was certainly not the case with the Crown Grill on Regal recently. On several nights the restaurant was fully booked, apart from strange times such as 17:40 . Who would want to eat dinner in the Mediterranean in the summer at that sort of time  ! 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

That was certainly not the case with the Crown Grill on Regal recently. On several nights the restaurant was fully booked, apart from strange times such as 17:40 . Who would want to eat dinner in the Mediterranean in the summer at that sort of time  ! 

🖐️ Hello, right here. 

From what we've seen in the Caribbean in recent years there's a line forming at the DR' door just before 17:00 every night. 

It make for easy planning for all the nights activities unless you like to return from excursions at the last minute or lay by the pool until the sun goes down.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Who would want to eat dinner in the Mediterranean in the summer at that sort of time  ! 

The US passengers who book every evening at 5.30. They enjoy eating early.

3 minutes ago, Bgees said:

The US passengers who book every evening at 5.30. They enjoy eating early.

Indeed, we all have different customs, it's just that it seens a shame to waste a beautiful evening by going to eat so early.

Similarly,  I have seen Spanish waiters being thoroughly confused when American tourists ask for the lunch menu at 11:30 am !   

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 10:32 AM, Sea Hag said:

I can tell you why I would. I would always pay extra on a Royal Class ship if I can get one of the forward CC minis on Lido or Marina because those are much nicer cabins with a floorplan that suits us best. I would also pay more, and I've upgraded an upcoming cruise to do that, to keep my DH out of the insanely long lines we hit on our last cruise. He has a very low toleration for standing in long lines, and it would take too many more cruises like the last one for him to not want to cruise again. I understand the math, where sometimes one could eat in a specialty restaurant every night for less money, but dinner isn't the only meal in a day. Hubby likes breakfast in the MDR and lunch there on sea days. Hubby liked suite breakfast in Sabatini's last fall, but neither of us wants to pay for a suite every cruise. Having said all this (too much!), I'll also say that there's a limit I'd pay extra for CC, except on the Royal Class.

We never had to wait in line. We'd show up & be taken right to a table. One night they actually sat us at a suite table.