One pair of shoes?

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

One is a hard way to go.  I, like others, worry about damaged shoes.  I often do 2.  I wear Clark’s which are comfortable for up to 6 miles of city walking and my brooks tennis shoes for longer treks and off street walking.  My Clark’s are good enough for the dining room too.   

Picture of the Clark's, by any chance?

17 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Picture of the Clark's, by any chance?

Clark’s is a brand.  They have a website.  Most of their shoes are leather uppers and a solid, durable rubber? sole.   I wore a single pair on a 35 day cruise where I walked on cobblestone everyday, at least 5 miles a day according to my iPhone.  I was comfortable and the shoes still look great 

• Like 2

Just now, Mary229 said:

Clark’s is a brand.  They have a website.  Most of their shoes are leather uppers and a solid, durable rubber? sole.   I wore a single pair on a 35 day cruise where I walked on cobblestone everyday, at least 5 miles a day according to my iPhone.  I was comfortable and the shoes still look great 

I just meant the particular pair you have that worked both for walking and in the dining rooms.  I like Clark's - I also find them really comfortable - but was curious as to the specific style you have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aungrl said:

I just meant the particular pair you have that worked both for walking and in the dining rooms.  I like Clark's - I also find them really comfortable - but was curious as to the specific style you have.

Mine are a style I have worn for years. They were discontinued a few years ago and I stocked up.   They are similar in construction to this, except mine are leather. https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Appley-Walk/p/26162457

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Mine are a style I have worn for years. They were discontinued a few years ago and I stocked up.   They are similar in construction to this, except mine are leather. https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Appley-Walk/p/26162457

Got it!  Yes, I like these a lot.  Thanks for taking going to the trouble to add the link.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks for the info.  Mary Janes are the only style I can find that would work for dining room and walking.  I like the look of the shoes in the link.   My foot tends to slide up in this style as I walk - I have a narrow ankle.  

If you liked the look of those Clark's, I recommend looking at the Jambu site.  Lots of MJs.  I have multiple styles of their shoes.  I've walked all over Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Paris and beyond in them.   I just wish they still made my faves, but they are several years gone.  Glad I bought 3 pair!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If you liked the look of those Clark's, I recommend looking at the Jambu site.  Lots of MJs.  I have multiple styles of their shoes.  I've walked all over Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Paris and beyond in them.   I just wish they still made my faves, but they are several years gone.  Glad I bought 3 pair!

Thanks for that recommendation!  Will check it out.  And, I learned that lesson, too.  When I find something I like, I tend to buy two, just in case.  

• Like 1

I will probably take two pair of shoes on my Alaska cruise this summer. For travel day and walking in port I will wear my black Alegria shoes. They are clunky-looking shoes but they have the arch support and supportive sides my troubled feet require. They will also be my choice for dinner on the nights I wear dark slacks. I will also bring a pair of skechers (with additional arch support) to wear around the ship. Some days I just want a softer, lighter shoe. If I pack a dress or light slacks I will have to bring a third pair of shoes, likely neutral fisherman’s sandals.  

I love Clark, Jambu and Skechers for comfortable supportive shoes. I have some Clarks that could transition from day to night unless I wear an evening gown and I rarely do that these days! 

To each their own, but I would never travel with just one pair of shoes. It's not a big deal for me to pack an extra pair (or two) in either a checked bag or even a 21-22" carry on bag. I always wear the heaviest/clunkiest shoes. 

Agree on buying multiple pairs when you find something you love! I wish I could find more of the Clark's yellow shoe I purchased 3 years ago at a Clark's outlet store. I've googled and searched but they are discontinued 😞 

Edited by Janie1229

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I just recently heard about Jambu for the first time.  I need to check them out.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My last cruise I took 3 pairs, but wasn't sensible - the third pair I only wore once (very high heels). 

Next cruise will have probably 3 or 4 pairs - 

- Hiking shoes

- Fancy low heels with strap #1

- Everyday low heels with strap #2 

And then, depending on whether my preferred shoe store in London has anything that I can't live without, I'll either take a fourth pair, or buy a fourth pair while in London prior to the cruise. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PammyMouse said:

I'm about to travel and sail for 7 days with:

Keens - Whisper

Running shoes

Dressy low-heeled sandals for evening

We'll see if I end up buying more 🙂. I like European shoes.

PM

14 hours ago, PammyMouse said:

I'm about to travel and sail for 7 days with:

Keens - Whisper

Running shoes

Dressy low-heeled sandals for evening

We'll see if I end up buying more 🙂. I like European shoes.

PM

Something went wrong with the previous post and I couldn’t type anything.  

Anyway, I wanted to ask what do you like about European shoes vs US shoes?

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

Something went wrong with the previous post and I couldn’t type anything.  

Anyway, I wanted to ask what do you like about European shoes vs US shoes?

More stylish comfort shoe options, and prices on brands like Mephisto, Paul Green are usually better in the home country (France, Austria).  My husband loves the large number of waterproof shoes.
PM

• Like 1

I just purchased these in silver. INCREDIBLY comfy & could wear in evenings in a pinch.

These could be a contender. 

(I have plantar fascitis & arthritis. I usually change shoes several times a day because of that. So I generally bring 6 or so pair for a week, as I am never sure what my feet will need.)

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 10.37.26 AM.png

15 minutes ago, KKB said:

I just purchased these in silver. INCREDIBLY comfy & could wear in evenings in a pinch.

(I have plantar fascitis & arthritis. I usually change shoes several times a day because of that. So I generally bring 6 or so pair for a week, as I am never sure what my feet will need.)

I own 2 or 3 pairs of TAOS........there really are comfy and have excellent arch support🙂 Hope you enjoy them. They are cute!

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I own 2 or 3 pairs of TAOS........there really are comfy and have excellent arch support🙂 Hope you enjoy them. They are cute!

LOL, I JUST got them Monday. ($100--nice discount)

Once I put them on I found another style on 6PM for $50.

They arrived today & are on my feet now! It does seem 

Then I thought their wedges were just the ticket for formal night. 

Found a pair in GOLD in good shape on ebay for $30!!!

Clearly I'm a convert. 

So much I may eventually pay full price. 

(but I will keep an eye out for discounts on 6PM or Amazon!)

Glad. Just ordered some Vionics

I know those are supposed to be good. But that arch just did NOT feel comfortable on me.

Those are going back...

I have worn Vionics over the years as well!  As for the TAOS, they make some cute slides.......lower heel than what you just bought and they still have arch support and cushiony footbed😃

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KKB said:

KKB, you've articulated the issue perfectly.  "I never know what will make my feet happy" either ... on top of your issues, I also have an inflamed nerve in one of my toes.  As long as I wear shoes without backs I'm fine ... it's just a constant quest for comfort when walking for hours, isn't it?  I finally found Easy Spirit trainers that I can wear comfortably out in the dirt (I work horse shows) when an open-back shoe won't cut it.  Since my feet started to rebel twenty years ago, I'll bet I've gone through 300 pairs of shoes!  Problems sometimes aren't apparent until I've worn them a dozen times.  GoodWill loves me.

14 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

KKB, you've articulated the issue perfectly.  "I never know what will make my feet happy" either ... on top of your issues, I also have an inflamed nerve in one of my toes.  As long as I wear shoes without backs I'm fine ... it's just a constant quest for comfort when walking for hours, isn't it?  I finally found Easy Spirit trainers that I can wear comfortably out in the dirt (I work horse shows) when an open-back shoe won't cut it.  Since my feet started to rebel twenty years ago, I'll bet I've gone through 300 pairs of shoes!  Problems sometimes aren't apparent until I've worn them a dozen times.  GoodWill loves me.

Oh, my this sounds like me.

I bought some Skechers that I love. Comfy & elastic straps so good when it's wet.

Finally realized that the elastic straps are NOT good for my instep.

I feel like I have a hairline fracture in my instep after wearing them & hobble for a day. 

But, yes, too, quite a few wearings to realized. 

Quite upset!

I loved slides & thong style....meh, now I prefer no thong between my toes & a strap on the back!

Fit Flops for the beach is fine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can absolutely do one pair of shoes for a long weekend, but I don't think I personally can do a cruise with just one pair -- and I think I'm pretty minimal when it comes to cruise packing.  

My own personal comfort level -- note, I am female: 

- A pair of flat white tennis shoes that can go with shorts or tee-shirt dresses 

- A pair of comfortable walking sandals -- I love Chacos, Tevas, Sketchers 

- A pair of dressy shoes for dinner -- definitely a basic pair that will match all dresses 

- A pair of water shoes 

I cannot share the concern over damaged shoes during a vacation.  

I also have Plantar Fasciitis, but I always know what my feet want.  I've developed a "set of rules" over two decades, and -- as long as I follow them -- I have no problems.  I don't know that my specific needs are the same as anyone else's, but I can look at a pair of shoes and tell whether they meet my rules.  

At home I have some Vionics, but more often I wear my custom-made insoles in any brand.  I like the looks of those Taos -- they would be flexible for a cruise -- and will investigate them. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I can absolutely do one pair of shoes for a long weekend, but I don't think I personally can do a cruise with just one pair -- and I think I'm pretty minimal when it comes to cruise packing.  

My own personal comfort level -- note, I am female: 

- A pair of flat white tennis shoes that can go with shorts or tee-shirt dresses 

- A pair of comfortable walking sandals -- I love Chacos, Tevas, Sketchers 

- A pair of dressy shoes for dinner -- definitely a basic pair that will match all dresses 

- A pair of water shoes 

I cannot share the concern over damaged shoes during a vacation.  

I also have Plantar Fasciitis, but I always know what my feet want.  I've developed a "set of rules" over two decades, and -- as long as I follow them -- I have no problems.  I don't know that my specific needs are the same as anyone else's, but I can look at a pair of shoes and tell whether they meet my rules.  

At home I have some Vionics, but more often I wear my custom-made insoles in any brand.  I like the looks of those Taos -- they would be flexible for a cruise -- and will investigate them. 

@Mum2Mercury I agree with your thoughts on number of shoes and styles. I travel with pretty much that exact number and style. I also have plantar fasciitis and it is better but I am careful to wear good insoles and I always wear dressy shoes that are either wedge or platform, that seems to work for me. 

I could get by with two, possibly--walking shoes and sandals that are dressy enought for the dining room, but usually take 4.  Partly because my feet are small and they don't take up much room, but mostly because I have learned my lesson, especially with sandals, of having shoes that start out fine and can end up a day with blisters or other pain.  Even when broken in.

So, I always wear some kind of walking schoes--sketchers or tie--at least two sandals for day wear (assuming a warm weather cruise) so I can switch them out if one is hurting, and at least one pear of dressier wedges for evening.  

If I have room I will through in water shoes or another pair of wedges.