Just Off The Mariner Sunday

2 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

Very sad!!  It seems with increased capacity I am reading a lot of cases coming off most of the ships.  I am not sure where the cruise lines go from here.  It’s a slippery slope for sure….

For sure, they will keep the vaccine mandate in place for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Hope you feel better soon and thanks for posting! We plan to be on Mariner for a B2B in October and I hope Covid is not still rampant! We just finished a B3B in April on Vision and I never left the ship and avoided the crowds, which may have helped in staying healthy but, who knows, maybe it was just dumb luck! Hope I'm that lucky again in October! Of course, it may have been the amount of alcohol consumption!😏

Happy future cruising and staying healthy! Cheers!🥂

Yes!!  😄 😄 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, flamingos said:

We were on Mariner a few weeks ago. Three of us fully vaccinated and double boosted; one fully vaxxed but had a really bad case of Covid last fall.  She is the only one of us who got Covid, and one person roomed with her, and we all drove in the same car for the 2 hours home.  It's so random sometimes.

Are you saying the 4th person was not boosted who got covid?  Deciding if I should get the next round of booster shot. Maybeif you were all boosted it gave you that little extra protection.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Are you saying the 4th person was not boosted who got covid?  Deciding if I should get the next round of booster shot. Maybeif you were all boosted it gave you that little extra protection.

Correct - she was not boosted yet because she had such a bad case of Covid last fall during the Delta surge.  BTW, she got that because they ONE TIME took off their masks in an indoor setting with a businessman, who called the next day and apologized, his son just tested positive.  

We were also on the Mariner cruise last week.  After reading this, I did one of the at home tests and I’m negative.  We were out and about each day and ate in the MDR. or windjammer most days.  We didn’t wear masks.  I have great sympathy for those who tested positive, but wanted everyone to know that some of us made it okay.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ATG said:

We were also on the Mariner cruise last week.  After reading this, I did one of the at home tests and I’m negative.  We were out and about each day and ate in the MDR. or windjammer most days.  We didn’t wear masks.  I have great sympathy for those who tested positive, but wanted everyone to know that some of us made it okay.

We did exactly the same...and sometimes way too many pax shoved their way into the elevator that was previously empty...forcing me "up against the wall" in the back...too close for comfort and unable to get back off again.  😮 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning's test for Harmony Sunday.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

This is actually a useful post. I'm personally not in the "I'm not worried about covid" camp, but people should remember that most who returned healthy aren't going to start a thread about it, but you will definitely hear about those who have and how many people from their FB group did or how many cars they saw picking up those who tested positive upon returning..

It's clearly a risk, there is clearly covid on every ship, just need to keep perspective when assessing the situation for yourself.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

We did exactly the same...and sometimes way too many pax shoved their way into the elevator that was previously empty...forcing me "up against the wall" in the back...too close for comfort and unable to get back off again.  😮 

Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning's test for Harmony Sunday.  

Elevators have sucked since my first cruise, lol. I didn't need a new reason to avoid them whenever possible... and this is coming from an extremely lazy guy who doesn't exercise whatsoever. I do more steps in a 7-night cruise than I do in months on land.

You already know I have mine crossed for you. I'll be scheduling ours tomorrow for next Friday.

• Like 1

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Elevators have sucked since my first cruise, lol. I didn't need a new reason to avoid them whenever possible... and this is coming from an extremely lazy guy who doesn't exercise whatsoever. I do more steps in a 7-night cruise than I do in months on land.

You already know I have mine crossed for you. I'll be scheduling ours tomorrow for next Friday.

We try to take the stairs as often as possible.   It's those times when I am coming back hot, tired, thirsty from a day in port on deck one...and need to go to deck 12.   Yeah,...I am on the elevator and hoping the "gang of 18" is not about to shove their way on one deck up.  😮 

I have many times...stood back when the elevator doors open and it is already too crowded for me.  

• Like 1

I have been following due to having an 8 night sailing scheduled on Mariner for June. Sailing has been showing pretty much sold out for a while now. I know June is BIG family time so expected this would be a busy sailing. However after reading about understaffing issues, bad food, and now lots covid cases...not so sure I want to be on an 8 night near full capacity sailing with 4 sea days. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I have been following due to having an 8 night sailing scheduled on Mariner for June. Sailing has been showing pretty much sold out for a while now. I know June is BIG family time so expected this would be a busy sailing. However after reading about understaffing issues, bad food, and now lots covid cases...not so sure I want to be on an 8 night near full capacity sailing with 4 sea days. 

We had very few service issues.  We had signed up for MTD at 6:00 and switched to early sitting at 5:30.  Most nights we were out in about an hour.  In the solarium the bar people were around quite often.  Playmakers was a little slow, but food was great.  Lunch at Johnny Rockets was quick.  Our room steward was great.  My one trip to guest services was easy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

This is actually a useful post. I'm personally not in the "I'm not worried about covid" camp, but people should remember that most who returned healthy aren't going to start a thread about it, but you will definitely hear about those who have and how many people from their FB group did or how many cars they saw picking up those who tested positive upon returning..

It's clearly a risk, there is clearly covid on every ship, just need to keep perspective when assessing the situation for yourself.

That's true  Someone started a poll in our HM FB cruise page from last week.  There are 33 with covid, 51 without and 14 that are sick but not covid related.  That's just a small % of the over 500 people on that page than answered so you will never know the actual numbers.  I guess who cares😇

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That's true  Someone started a poll in our HM FB cruise page from last week.  There are 33 with covid, 51 without and 14 that are sick but not covid related.  That's just a small % of the over 500 people on that page than answered so you will never know the actual numbers.  I guess who cares😇

Yeah, I understand the sentiment behind starting such a poll but the results will be influenced by so many factors that they likely wouldn't help much unless an insanely high % responded that they were positive.

46 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Correct - she was not boosted yet because she had such a bad case of Covid last fall during the Delta surge.  BTW, she got that because they ONE TIME took off their masks in an indoor setting with a businessman, who called the next day and apologized, his son just tested positive.  

Thanks, I was infected in Feb so I am thinking Omicrom but with the new variant it may not be enough. My husband got it right after coming home from a cruise, and I got it a month later, so I think 2 different exposures.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your illness. The one positive to all of this is that the vaccines work in preventing serious illness and death. Covid is not going anywhere. It is now an endemic disease that we will have to live with. Everyone needs to make their own decisions about risk. But being vaccinated I will not cancel my future cruises. At least I know if I contract the disease the risk of serious illness is extremely low. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Sorry to hear about your illness. The one positive to all of this is that the vaccines work in preventing serious illness and death. Covid is not going anywhere. It is now an endemic disease that we will have to live with. Everyone needs to make their own decisions about risk. But being vaccinated I will not cancel my future cruises. At least I know if I contract the disease the risk of serious illness is extremely low. Hope you feel better soon. 

I had my second booster about 6 weeks before my cruise. I was sicker than I expected. I'm still sick, but yes, not dead or hospitalized. I'm having to miss an additional week of work and continue isolation. There are a lot of considerations in cruising right now. 

Agree there.  If we are lucky enough to test negative tomorrow morning...and are able to keep our B2B on Harmony...our next cruise after that is not until mid October.  

I am now considering that it is a good time for a break from it for me.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ATG said:

I see zero reason to take a test if I have no symptoms…or in general really.  I have tested myself twice since this ordeal began, and that was because the last two cruises I have taken required it.  My third comes this Saturday, boarding Monday…

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I see zero reason to take a test if I have no symptoms…or in general really.  I have tested myself twice since this ordeal began, and that was because the last two cruises I have taken required it.  My third comes this Saturday, boarding Monday…

The pax on Mariner that went back out for Bermuda last Sunday...had to test as to requirements for that country.   That was when they caught a lot of the positive cases on the ship.    

Pax that simply disembarked...naturally...had no reason to test, unless they were worried about symptoms they were experiencing, and self tested.   Since we did not have symptoms, and did not stay on for Bermuda....we never tested ourselves....but you can still carry it.  Called "Asymptomatic".  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

The pax on Mariner that went back out for Bermuda last Sunday...had to test as to requirements for that country.   That was when they caught a lot of the positive cases on the ship.    

Pax that simply disembarked...naturally...had no reason to test, unless they were worried about symptoms they were experiencing, and self tested.   Since we did not have symptoms, and did not stay on for Bermuda....we never tested ourselves....but you can still carry it.  Called "Asymptomatic".  

You think maybe you would have self tested after seeing so many positive once you got off the ship. Hopefully since you been home you stayed away from people as to not spread it to anyone else incase you are positive and didn't know it.

Edited by Jimbo

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am aware..I read the daily report on here re the previous ABC cruise, tested positive..No Bermuda for them. 😞

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I am aware..I read the daily report on here re the previous ABC cruise, tested positive..No Bermuda for them. 😞

We are testing tomorrow morning, as requirement for Harmony on Sunday.   Thought about self testing, but no symptoms so far, and already knew we would have to test 5 days later anyway.   We are  prepared to stay home if we test positive.  Luckily no flights or pre hotel stays involved to cancel.  

Have pretty much been "hermits" during these those last days since Mariner....still no symptoms...hope our luck holds.   

• Like 2

I’m on Mariner doing a B2B started on May 7. I can’t believe that people are packing themselves in elevators, no common sense !  One lady rolls in with her scooter and tells her 7 friends, come on in there plenty of room, as the wheel from her scooter is on my husbands foot. Not to mention there were already a few people in there.  

On a positive note, Bermuda was beautiful, perfect weather! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas7df said:

I’m on Mariner doing a B2B started on May 7. I can’t believe that people are packing themselves in elevators, no common sense !  One lady rolls in with her scooter and tells her 7 friends, come on in there plenty of room, as the wheel from her scooter is on my husbands foot. Not to mention there were already a few people in there.  

On a positive note, Bermuda was beautiful, perfect weather! 

I just saw on Fb group that Cap Tobias has reinstated a mask mandate indoors on Mariner for remainder of the cruise, can you confirm?