Change to Bermuda Travel Authorization

BND

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So you agree that it is a money grab.

I never, ever said it wasn't.  But, it is what it is.  Either pay it and go, or don't.  It's a choice and we choose to pay it to cruise there.

But, my original post was to  just post the change to the  authorization.  I never said a word about the fee in the title or original post.  I just posted the update.  Others took off with cost, etc.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BND said:

I never, ever said it wasn't.  But, it is what it is.  Either pay it and go, or don't.  It's a choice and we choose to pay it to cruise there.

But, my original post was to  just post the change to the  authorization.  I never said a word about the fee in the title or original post.  I just posted the update.  Others took off with cost, etc.

You made your point and then as typical threads go where they go. Just as everyone has the choice to cruise, or not if they don't like it, to a country everyone also had the choice to post, or not if they don't like it, to CC.

9 hours ago, BND said:

BND . We thank you for the info. This is why we are on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You made your point and then as typical threads go where they go. Just as everyone has the choice to cruise, or not if they don't like it, to a country everyone also had the choice to post, or not if they don't like it, to CC.

I have no issue with people posting their own opinion, but they don't need to go after me because they don't like what Bermuda is doing.  And since my original post was just there was a change, someone stating that people "thought" it was about dropping the fee was a problem with reading comprehension.  And, really was meant to just stir the pot.

For all of you that saw the title and post for what it was, You're welcome.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BND said:

And since my original post was just there was a change, someone stating that people "thought" it was about dropping the fee was a problem with reading comprehension. 

Again, for the folks who know about the Bermuda TA, the cost may be an important thing - some could have very well assumed that was the "change" meant in the title. When they realized it wasn't, most probably just moved along. A title like "No more uploading of docs for the Bermuda TA" would have been much more obvious (and may have garnered much less interest). No one is attacking you here, it is useful info, just not the "change" some were looking forward to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Helpfully the change will make it easier  for those of us heading to Bermuda soon.  Sadly, Bermuda is not our first  stop so we ALL ( or at least those who want to  get off in Bermuda) have to be retested once on board to satisfy Bermuda requirements. 

Many countries have Visa requirements, so it is not huge issue for us.  If we want to visit a country - we pay the required fees. 

M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Again, for the folks who know about the Bermuda TA, the cost may be an important thing - some could have very well assumed that was the "change" meant in the title. When they realized it wasn't, most probably just moved along. A title like "No more uploading of docs for the Bermuda TA" would have been much more obvious (and may have garnered much less interest). No one is attacking you here, it is useful info, just not the "change" some were looking forward to.

The changes to the process are more important than the cost. The previous process was causing s great deal of stress and aggravation. I don't think there was anything wrong with the title or any need for more precision. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scotty G said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Since we are going on Mariner to Bermuda on the 28th with stops in the Bahamas before Bermuda we are only in the Pending pool with the Bermuda Authorities. 

I have emailed them requesting clarification since we sail in less than a week.

Scotty, I was wondering if you heard back from Bermuda regarding the pending status. I emailed them as well and still haven’t heard back. 

2 hours ago, cruizzing said:

Agree - would rather spend $160 elsewhere  for my party of 4.

Not really wanting to go off topic but I will anyway. The Bermuda government imagines that their cruise tourists from the northeast are wealthy. Over the years I have seen a number of statements to that effect from some of their government officials. So they think the fee is not a problem for cruise passengers. Their tourists who fly in stay at hotels that charge very high rates per day in season so they consider Bermuda to be high end destination. I don't think they want people to come who would have a problem with the fees. For years they would not let Carnival in as they did not like their image. 

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, Charles4515 said:

The $40 for the TA is in their annual budget that ends April 2023. They also have contracted it out so while the TA may be further modified I suspect it will continue until 2023. 

Yep. If we had known this TA nonsense and forking out cash for Bermuda, we'd have booked another cruise. That, and we've seen Bermuda several other times. This July, we will just stay on board and enjoy the partially empty ship whilst docked.

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

For years they would not let Carnival in as they did not like their image. 

For years they limited the number of cruise passengers that could be landed during a season. Bermuda has had a love/hate relationship with the cruise industry for a long time.

54 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't think they want people to come who would have a problem with the fees. 

Interesting info on Bermuda. My statement was nothing more than concurrence that some were hoping the "change" was to the fee. Bermuda can do what they want and I can choose to comply or not visit. But my "rather" doesnt equate to "problem". Just that I'd rather not spend additional fees for a visa on top of the cruise fare/taxes, etc, plus what we'll spend on our private tour and likely souveniers. Alternatively, I'd "rather" not spend money on 4 plane tickets, so Bermuda will get their travel authorization fees...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/21/2022 at 12:02 PM, BND said:

Geez guys I am just the messenger.  Take it up with Bermuda.

Not at all, we all appreciate this wonderul news and thanks....you know how it goes in here, you could post a pic of a rock and the resident geologists would bicker whether or not it's metamorphic or sedimentary!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, rolloman said:

Good for you that you have been on 4 recent cruises... obviously not a record by any stretch of the imagination... however, some people save their whole lives to go on one cruise...costs add up and I am confident most don't appreciate cheerleading for other countries to create tax through various means like as Bermuda has. Anyway good for you...how awesome is it that you have the ability to scoff at rising prices and throw shade on those who as you say should probably "rethink" their idea of going on a single cruise...(eye roll)

Send them on one of OUR past med cruises for six or more months on a carrier pulling 12 on, 12 off shifts including weekends. It would drastically change morale😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looking to get back toc ruising, have been avoiding booking anything to Bermuda, don't need any additional distractions.  We have enjoyed our two visits, but this TA thing adds to the law of diminishing returns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CariAnn said:

Scotty, I was wondering if you heard back from Bermuda regarding the pending status. I emailed them as well and still haven’t heard back. 

Nothing thus far!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:29 PM, pstone1 said:

We took a Private Tour with Heidi Cowan and her dog Buddy of Bermuda Byways (Bermudabyways.com).   There were 11 of us in a very comfortable mini-bus.

I had no idea how much history Bermuda had.  There are 144 bridges (who knew) and the most beautiful beaches we’ve ever seen.  It was an all day tour around the Island and so worth it!  We had delicious, freshly baked scones for our breakfast snack and one of the best (and unique) fish sandwiches we’ve ever tasted for lunch!  Everything was included!  We highly recommend Heidi!

Thanks for the tip about Heidi. We will be there Oct. 2023. I have been to Bermuda a couple of times. My wife has never been there.

Jim