The Daily for Monday 05/23/2022

richwmn

Victoria Day (Canada)

Today is Lucky Penny Day, World Chrohn's and Colitis Day, and World Turtle Day

Remember, we're madly in love, so it's all right to kiss me anytime you feel like it.--Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Meal Suggestion for today - chicken strawberry cobb
Drink of the Day - Choco Peppermint Shake
Wine of the Day - Schramsberg 2012 J. Schram Rosé Sparkling (North
Destination of the Day - Sasebo, Japan

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 05/24
Rotterdam   Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord
Zaandam   Destination Prince Edward Isla eta 05/24

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Noordam   15:00 - 18:00

Juneau, Alaska

Eurodam   13:00 - 22:00
Koningsdam   13:00 - 22:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Zuiderdam   10:00 - 18:00

Naples, Italy

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 18:00

Sarande, Albania

Oosterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Ensenada, MX

0524World.thumb.png.c1f39ca483d5944a3fd3575278cdc853.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Wishing all our Canadian Dailyites a great Victoria Day although their pennies are now relics of the past.  Turtles and Chrones and Colitis both need to be recognized but for very different reasons.

I like the quote but have not been to Sasebo.  The chicken strawberry cobb sounds interesting.  My alternative is Orange and Radicchio Salad, Chicken Parmesan, and Strawberry ice cream. as served on Adventure of the Seas May 22, 2022.

dishes22.jpg

Back later with the lists.  Bermuda is getting very close.

https://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 6

OK, not as close as I thought.

Today’s care list:

msmayor DH with Covid
Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Cat in my lap DH surgery May 24
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother in hospital with pneumonia(but cleared of fever)
Covid outbreak in Seasick Sailor neighborhood
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
From the rotation:
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Great River Cruise for NextOne
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Heartgrove SIL cleared of Covid
StLouisSal family visit
5 days for Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam 5/28 to 6/4)
3 days for StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess 5/26 to 6/29)
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31), Atexsix (Discovery Princess to 5/29), and kochleffel (NCL Jade to 5/29)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13

Good morning everyone and happy Victoria Day to our Canadian friends. I hope that I find a lucky penny.  Chrohns and colotis are serious afflictions to be aware of. Hats off to turtles 🐢.  The meal suggestion, drink and wine sound like a winning combination to me. I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 29

Good morning from a sunny 60°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists while on his cruise.

Happy Victoria Day for our Canadian friends.

Interesting days as usual.

Great quote.

Never been to Japan so curious to see photos from our Dailyites.

Prayers 🙏 and good wishes to all on the care list.

Great to see so many celebrations.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220523_113409.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 36

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Victoria Day!  No pennies here.   Love turtles.   Good luck to those researching a cure for Crohns and Colitis.

I like the quote.

The meal and the drink sound like summer.  I hope the wine is not too expensive.

Another port I have not been to, looking forward to seeing pictures.

This weekend is usually a gardening weekend here, but the weather is not co-operating.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

And, to all the Canadians out there - Happy Victoria Day!

82F244CA-4073-4EDE-8100-36DA78685D4C.jpeg.07d91cb9769d9aef175a79b8f55a0bac.jpeg

Just kidding 😉 

B6EB35DF-D139-426B-B4E3-8D0CCF2CBE51.gif.de4ec21cbfabe198395b3df878d17d75.gif

Great collection of days.  The penny is gone here but I remember the old rhyme we used to say - “see a penny pick it up…”.   Those suffering with Chrohns & Colitis need support and research every day as do endangered turtles.

LOL on the Collins quote.  The meal suggestion sounds interesting - looking forward to Debbie’s descriptions and the wine could be intriguing.

3368910A-753E-4E2F-8A2C-4F7AA6FCC0BF.jpeg.ad0dd3ffaf1c783191b7c7688c39be68.jpeg

We had severe T-storm alert and tornado warnings for last night.  No tornados here, thankfully. 👍 Victoria Day weekend is traditionally a planting weekend here.  

FAAEEDC9-EEBE-4825-8530-1E6843408824.jpeg.c0d6641bf45793f486a3bd2e78a2f353.jpeg

I think someone forgot to tell the weatherman who is giving a frost warning for early tomorrow morning 😡  Hopefully my little micro climate here avoids it but I will cover a few of the babies to be safe.  And, if it’s going to keep raining - I’ll work on my spread sheet for our roll call.  My poor passport has been sorely neglected for too long!

50E7F426-CC84-4823-83B5-AE8F00D47E53.jpeg.92f0dc4d43c7e8742bba512eae7fdff6.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!

44D94666-A56A-402F-A708-BF4248833AA8.jpeg.c2bdea3cabe3a535fd4559c05d65757a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Haha 15

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting, I’ll wait for @dfish pictures and recipes.  Yesterday got to 95 here so the ac was much appreciated.  I cleaned the downstairs and shortly after the floors were mopped I heard one of the cats tossing up a fur ball.

Happy Victoria Day to all who celebrate.

I’d be happy if feeding time was 6am.  Mona insists it’s 3:30, everyone else is good with 5.

image.png.005ad5b91d9ca2f60843ba43543c7367.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 19

It's a very cloudy morning on Adventure of the Seas so today's sunrise goes back to my very first Royal Caribbean cruise on Enchantment of the Seas back in 2011.  On May 23 we arrived in St. Thomas, USVI.

sunrise5b.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning to all,

Thank you for the lists to both Rich and Roy.  I appreciate the prayers for my continued health situation.  DH has surgery tomorrow afternoon for a cancerous lesion on his abdomen.  I can’t go with him because of the Covid protocols in that office. 

i actually managed to eat dinner last night.  We had veal cutlets with rice and green beans.  I ate everything on my plate.  i don’t think that has happened since I contracted COVID on April 20.  So maybe things are changing.  Still feel very tired.

Happy Victoria Day to Canadians. 

Turtles are cute and endangered and need to be cared for.

People with Crohn’s Disease and Colitis have a tough life to keep their illness under control.  They need prayers and understanding.

Still trying to put our lives back in order after such a long trip.  Maybe I can get some stuff done today.

Take care everyone and prayers to all who need them.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 36
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A lovely morning here, with an Easterly breeze making it just beautiful. The does & fawns are out and about already. 

Happy Victoria Day to my Canadian neighbors!

Roy thank you for keeping our lists, even while cruising. And thank you for sharing your cruise with us. Morning Dailyites! I am happy to report out that @dfish Debbie’s recipe for slow cooker honey lime pork salsa verde was a hit - with egg white wraps! I knew their blandness would be perfect for the flavorful meat, but it never dawned on me that their elasticity would keep them intact, even when exposed to a very juicy meat. They were a hit. I put out guacamole, pico de gallo & some Asiago cheese for people to add what they wanted, but the meat stood perfectly on its own merits. Yum. 

Off to the gym. Then the level of today’s humidity will determine what I do the rest of the day. 

37458A85-53BC-4DE6-A42D-0EE44784F722.jpeg.8a4e6dd4a9f4b306f04360b5b00c88cc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Schramsberg 2012 J. Schram Rosé Sparkling (North Coast)

This wine’s unique qualities make it special. Superb ratings - all vintages. But the price is out of my range. A few online distributors with prices starting at $154.99.

Winemaker Notes

The 2012 J. Schram Rosé immediately pleases the eye with its copper tinged, pale salmon color. It opens with aromas of apricot and strawberry shortcake, balanced by aspects of candied orange, peach, plum and vanilla wafer. Layers of cranberry, raspberry, cherry and green apple suffuse the palate, with honey and brown sugar adding additional complexity. Rich, vibrant with bright acidity and closing with a well-integrated finish, this wine is truly a feast for the senses.

J. Schram Rosé is the epitome of grace, style and elegance in a glass. A delicate rosé, due to being primarily Chardonnay, which lends itself to be served as an apéritif, with a first course or a light main course. Courses might include consommés, cedar planked lobster, scallop ceviche, grilled swordfish, fresh crab, grilled poultry or roasted pork loin.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

This wonderful wine layers together subtle red fruit, cinnamon, tamarind and savory, meaty accents for an extraordinarily complex outcome. Mouthfilling and rich in texture but also lively and bright in underlying acidity, it is beautifully balanced and will age well. 

CG97 Connoisseurs' Guide

As deep, as rich and as refined as a champenized Rosé is likely to be, the 2012 J. Schram once again garners top marks and stands at the head of its class. It is both fruity and highly autolyzed with layer upon layer of cherries and creamy yeast, and, for all of its riveting richness, it evokes an uncanny sense of polish and real elegance. It is guaranteed to complement a serving of pan-seared fois gras or the likes of Lobster Newburg in ways that few wines can do, but it is just as sure to make even everyday fare more memorable than might be imagined. It is that good!

WS92 Wine Spectator

Bold and full-bodied, with berry tart, fresh ginger and toasty spice flavors gathering richness and structure on a big finish. Drink now.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Thank you all for sending the rain I asked for.....can you make it stop around 12 so that I can walk the dog?  Just kidding, thanks for the rain!

not-all-turtles-are-born-in-the-wild-some-are-bread-in-captivity-meme.jpg

I decided not to go to Home Depot to buy the mail box, but will check out some at Ace-they always have such pretty things there.  But I do realize that every house in the neighborhood has a black plain mail box, wondering if that is some neighborhood requirement.

The kids are out of school, the traffic is less, and I guess for here, it really is summer.  (until August).

e9e14aa50096924b4c910de54844f44d.jpg

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and that the weather is not too bad where you live.  I've been in a funk the last several days,  and I am hoping to snap out of it quickly.  Too much bad news on TV, not happy at work, etc, etc, and I need to accept that I just bit off more than I can chew.  The extra money is nice to have, but my sanity is more important.

38cfdf6f0951079c02d1094e955992ac.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Happy Victoria Day!

Research and awareness for those with Crohn's and Colitis are so important. DH no longer picks up pennies, but I do. I do agree with him that we should follow Canada and do away with them. I love turtles and might attend a lecture and lighting event about them on Friday.

I love the quote. The meal sounds good.

We ended up at the beach until about 1:30, then the pool 2:00-3:30. Then a run to the store, home for dinner and a movie and bed by 9:00 as the only one who some how could keep their eyes open was three year old Leo. 😆I finally had a good night sleep since DH left...I guess all I needed was a beach AND pool day with DGS. 🙂

Today the three of us are heading out at 9:00 to meet DSIL near Sea World. (They have some passes that include parking for one car.) We'll go to Sea World, DD says she usually leaves around 2:00, and then the three of them will go home and they are loaning me their other car for the week. (They'll be back here for Memorial Day weekend.) I appreciate the offer of the car. It will allow me to make a trip or two to stores as I think of anything I may need or want to have when I don't have a car here that I might not have thought of before DH left.

@StLouisCruisers Sadie is beautiful!

@cat shepard here is my email address: jamccullar@gmail.com let me know when you feel like meeting. @cunnorl you do the same. Hopefully we can all meet together at some point.

Wishing everyone a magical Monday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Today is going to be a cool one here in northeast Ohio with temps only reaching 65F.  But, we will have some sunshine which is welcome after the last two days.  The good news is that my gym is open again this week after closing for their annual maintenance and deep clean last week.  

@Cruzin Terri Congrats on being able to eat the whole dinner last night.  My nephew reported having a loss of appetite and gastro problems for a while after his bout with Covid.  

Happy Victoria Day to all of our Canadian Daily family.  

Today's meal is one I would love.  Strawberries are a very healthy food and we should incorporate them into our diets when we can:   

The heart-shaped silhouette of the strawberry is the first clue that this fruit is good for you. These potent little packages protect your heart, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, and guard against cancer.

Packed with vitamins, fiber, and particularly high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols, strawberries are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food. They are among the top 20 fruits in antioxidant capacity and are a good source of manganese and potassium. Just one serving -- about eight strawberries -- provides more vitamin C than an orange.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/nutritional-benefits-of-the-strawberry#:~:text=These potent little packages protect,free%2C low-calorie food.

This first recipe has a mustard vinaigrette.  That sounds good to me!https://getinspiredeveryday.com/food/strawberry-cobb-salad-whole30/

1725837603_chickenstrawcobb1.thumb.jpg.7cded14e5044ce9b1ce34e94c4b07f12.jpg

Doesn't that look incredibly good?  Fresh, crisp, tangy all in one.

This next one from Delish uses a Green Goddess dressing and adds in prosciutto and goat cheese.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a53317/strawberry-cobb-salad-recipe/

1712929148_chickenstrawcobb2.jpg.e75977773fee1695d67a95dd9146a241.jpg

And here's one with a fried feta and tarragon dressing.   https://dishingouthealth.com/strawberry-cobb-salad/

1534601998_chickenstrawcobb4.thumb.jpg.c684d7365eb02ef8d87c619b31f3d311.jpg

This next one has lemon pepper chicken and homemade avocado ranch dressing.  Right up my alley!

https://cleanfoodcrush.com/california-cobb/

979580988_chickstrawcobb7.jpg.d4fe59d6c4fd5d2110817edd31f0df26.jpg

Last, but not least, is one with a balsamic lime vinaigrette.  https://thenourishinghome.com/2017/05/strawberry-cobb-salad/

1637213562_chickenstrawcobb6.thumb.jpg.12f925cdfa5277cd7c8c2eb455a0cbb0.jpg

I guess I have to stop by the grocery store after my gym workout and pick up stuff for salad.  These look too good to pass up.  

Prayers for all in need, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members facing challenges.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a great day.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone. I’m up early waiting for our air conditioning unit to be serviced. It  was 96 yesterday and we tu r Ed it on . This is July weather, not usual for May.

Will check back in later.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

Happy Victoria  Day to all of our Canadian  family. Crohn's and Colitis are very hard to live with and could use continued research. We have not been to the port and look forward to pictures. 

The executive  Chef and I decided that the last recipe would be our dinner tonight. I was able to find avocados that were not prohibitively expensive yesterday. Thanks Debbie @dfish as always. 

DH and I have started walking to our nearest grocery store for both fitness and economical reasons.We are fortunate  to be able to do this.Gas prices here are averaging $5.35 for regular unleaded.

Thanks for the Daily and all of its contributors.

• Like 32

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Happy Victoria Day to all our Canadian friends. Hope you all enjoy your holiday.   It is turtle season here, so we have to watch for their nests and no lights on the beach at night.  Volunteers walk the beach in the very early morning and mark off the nests so people wont walk on them. 

All coins are pretty much useless now a days. Nobody carries money and the stores would prefer plastic. 

THe races are over and the town has quieted down once again. 

@JAM37  It would be great to get together. I have 2 weddings in the next few weeks, one down in Naples this weekend  and the other in Pennsylvania on 6/18. After that, I would love to meet up. 

@dfish Debbie, those salads look delicious!

HAL makes a chocolate peppermint drink that is wonderful. You can get it without alcohol. DD loves them!   

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 29