Parent and Child Assigned Different Boarding Times

My family has run into a weird issue regarding boarding for our upcoming RCI cruise. Wondering if anyone else here has had a similar problem and/or has any suggestions on how to attempt resolving it.

I'm sailing next week with my spouse, sister-in-law (13), and father-in-law. Myself, spouse, and SIL are sharing a cabin. FIL has his own cabin. We were assigned a 2:30 pm boarding time for our cabin. FIL was assigned a 1:00 pm boarding time for his cabin. 

The issue is spouse and I are traveling separately from my in-laws. We'll be arriving day of the cruise and still be at the airport when FIL is scheduled to board. As a result, we cannot supervise 13 year old SIL until her scheduled boarding time. And, obviously no one is comfortable with the 13 year old waiting outside the terminal by herself until we arrive (hopefully on time without any travel delays.)

Called RCI to try to resolve the issue. Spoke with an absolutely awesome customer service rep who tried super hard, talked to her supervisor, et cetera, but ultimately was informed that nobody at the call center can touch the assigned boarding times, they can't guarantee FIL and SIL would be able to board outside their scheduled time if they tried, and they can't direct me to anyone else who might be able to resolve the issue.

While I find it highly unlikely that the terminal would actually turn FIL away if he showed up after his scheduled time with SIL, we're definitely not a fan of the "it's up to the terminal day of if you get to board or not" plan, so still trying to get it sorted now. I've emailed RCI, but am not certain what else to try.

Does anyone have suggestions? I can't imagine we're the only people ever to have an issue like this? It's certainly not unheard of for kids to stay in cabins with other family members separate from their parents.

For what it's worth, we have absolutely no issue with the assigned boarding times otherwise. Totally get why they do them. We know it's a necessary covid protocol and there's only so much they can do. FIL and SIL would be willing to accept any boarding time at all they can get together. We're just trying to avoid the 13 year old being stuck by herself.

This isn’t going to be an issue IMO.   But who are the SIL parents?   Just the FIL?   Make sure she has any documentation needed for her to travel without both parents.   Again, highly doubt they won’t let both checking at either time assigned.  Worst case is the both board at the later time.  

Thank you everyone. It's super helpful to hear that RCI isn't being too strict about the assigned times. I doubted that they would be. Especially in this situation. But, haven't sailed on Royal since covid, so didn't know from experience how stringent it might be.

40 minutes ago, topnole said:

But who are the SIL parents?   Just the FIL?   Make sure she has any documentation needed for her to travel without both parents.  

Great advice. Thanks for checking. I've already highly recommended they travel with a notarized letter from SIL's mom stating that it's okay for her to travel out of the country with just FIL just in case.

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk boarding times were now assigned. I've always picked my boarding time. When did this start where rcl assigns times rather than it being a choice?

My understanding is that the assigned times are a COVID precaution to avoid overcrowding at the terminals. A bit of a pain because you often have to wait longer to board. But, I will say on our last Celebrity cruise it made for the quickest most streamlined boarding process I've ever experienced. We were easily on board within fifteen minutes of arriving at the terminal.

Same thing happened to us.  In our group of 6 there are 3 different boarding times...2 adults and 4 teens.  And our time is so late.  I never had a problem getting 11 or 12 and this sailing there were no option before 2:30 for us.  I'll be pretty sad if we all have to wait until 3;30 for the one person in the group who got that time.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Idk boarding times were now assigned. I've always picked my boarding time. When did this start where rcl assigns times rather than it being a choice?

@firefly333 See you are back from your Grandeur of The Seas Cruise. So just how bad was it? One and Done or would you sail on her again?

Answer if you can on the "Routine" thread so not to side track this one.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

If you checked in online, you can go in an edit the time yourself.

Unfortunately it's not letting us do that. I think because spouse and I have Air2Sea and RCI operated ground transfers so we were just assigned the boarding time that made sense for our travel timing. FIL tried to change his, but couldn't get same time as us. Will keep an eye on it, but the cruise is in less than a week so...

19 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

As everyone frequently and correctly points out, different ports handle this differently.

Indeed. We're out of Vancouver for what it's worth. Makes it extra hard 'cause they're just starting the season and nothing sailed out of there last year, so who knows how they're handling COVID rules. I would certainly love to hear if anyone has experience sailing out of there on the first couple sailings that have happened already.

11 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Only show pass with earlier time to get family in the door. By the time you get to actual check-in, no one looking at times anymore.

Great thought. I'll definitely advise FIL does that.

Can the FIL and SIL wait until your boarding time? (To fit their travel plans).

Situations come up and people get delayed - they will check them in. Because everyone has to get on the boat.

It’s early arrivals (line jumpers) that cause a back-up.  

Though you may never have to show it, that notarized letter of permission is a good idea.  I carried that and my BIL’s death certificate when taking my nieces the first few times. 

• Like 1

Please check your boarding passes.

On other cruise lines it states that everyone in the boarding party/reservation/cabin must check in together. This is part of the Covid 19 procedures.

I don't know if Royal Caribbean has this restriction or not. Celebrity does.

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Only show pass with earlier time to get family in the door. By the time you get to actual check-in, no one looking at times anymore.

That’s what we did when we had a 1/2 hour mismatch.  Worked fine for us.