Roatan Port - going on an excursion - how safe do you feel?

DGNewton

My wife and I are up in age (60's) and we were thinking of a beach excursion.

We read about this island being one of the to rated unsafe islands.

How safe do you feel going on an excursion?

It would take us to the end of the island or across to the west side, just seems far from the ship, but a Carnival Beach Excursion is all we would consider.

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, West Bay Beach, 34101, Honduras

or 

Sol y Mar Beach Club, E Sandy Bay Beach Rd, Sandy Bay 34101, Honduras

20 minutes ago, DGNewton said:

My wife and I are up in age (60's) and we were thinking of a beach excursion.

We read about this island being one of the to rated unsafe islands.

How safe do you feel going on an excursion?

It would take us to the end of the island or across to the west side, just seems far from the ship, but a Carnival Beach Excursion is all we would consider.

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, West Bay Beach, 34101, Honduras

or 

Sol y Mar Beach Club, E Sandy Bay Beach Rd, Sandy Bay 34101, Honduras

As long as you are on a Carnival excursion, you are mostly safe

We did an excursion to the Mayan Princess a few months back.  Never once felt unsafe, the food and service was good (not what I'd call great at $175/pp), and their pool was excellent.  Their beachfront is public, so you'll have an endless train of panhandlers and vendors trying to get you to buy t-shirts, hair braiding, etc...  

If we ever get back to Roatan, I'd probably do a day pass directly with them instead of thru the cruise line.  Yeah, it's risky, but the market rate for a day pass is less than half what we paid.

we book private tours through some of the well known private tour guides.  very safe.  we have been all over the island, and been way off the beaten path a few times, never had any issues.

• Like 1

Enjoy Roatan.  Beautiful place!  We've done private tours twice (Victor Bodden) and NEVER felt the least bit uncomfortable.  1st time it was my wife and I for $80 total.  All day with a guide - went wherever we wanted.  Included the zip line too.

• Thanks 1

We are well into our 60s and have been to Roatan over a dozen times. We have only gone on Carnival excursions and have never felt unsafe in the least. I think the security cautions come into play if you are going off on your own.

I will mention that we did the Mayan Princess Beach Resort and it was "different." We ended up having a blast as a result of meeting some folks from the Dallas area who were a riot and wonderful drinking companions. But if you are thinking of lush, spacious grounds with a beautiful beach you won't get it here. This is more like the French Quarter in New Orleans - in other words cramped. The people hawking goods rule the beach, though the resort has a rope that they are required to stay on the sea side of, and if you try sitting on the beach you will get no peace from them. The liquor available is a bit limited, but we were successful asking the lady serving our table to "surprise us with something local" and had a steady supply of tasty drinks. Long story short, think of this as going to an open bar at a swimming pool. 

We’ve been to Roatan several times and have never felt unsafe. We have always used independent excursions and never had an issue. The island of Roatan is not the same as mainland Honduras when it comes to safety.

If you are just looking for a beach day, there is a great free beach right at the port. Just turn right at the top of the ramp when exiting the pier. You can walk or take the “flying beach chairs” (chair lift). There is a restaurant and bar at the beach area and free loungers.

Been to Roatan a number of times and never felt unsafe. Ship tours, independent tours, sometimes just jumping in a taxi. The cruise line isn't going to take you somewhere unsafe.

There are a number of places along West Bay and the snorkeling can be great. I did like it better before condo city arrived and when it was just a dirt road to get there.

Been to Roatan on about a dozen cruises as well as stayed 2 weeks on the island at a Bed and Breakfast (Sandy Beach area). All the touristy areas are very safe (other than the normal petty theft). You really have nothing to worry about. I feel more unsafe in most US cities than I do in Roatan.

That being said, there are some areas of extreme poverty on the island. During our 2 week stay exploring the island, only once did we come across an area that made us nervous (and this is far from the tourist areas). The main thing to watch out for is cars/scooters since they drive like mad-men. 

Now if this were Jamaica (SUPER UNSAFE), I would say stay on the ship. However, Roatan is great. Honestly, you really don't even need to leave the Carnival compound (unlike Royal Caribbean where they drop you off in down-town).

Roatan is gorgeous, but as mentioned above, the vendors are among the pushiest we 

have encountered.  I was sitting at a picnic table on the beach while DH & DD chatted with a local

fisherman.  A woman and her young DD approached me and asked if I would like a massage.  I would rather poke sharp sticks in my ear than have a massage.  I politely said no thank you.  She quickly knelt and removed my shoe and began rubbing baby oil on my foot.  I asked her to stop and she wouldn't.  She knew I wouldn't get too nasty with her young daughter there.  After DH and DD finished laughing their butts off from a distance, they came up.  I told DH to pay her and make her stop.  Five bucks worked. 

I love the island and would return in a heart beat, but I have learned to be very firm about refusing the vendors and not worry about hurting their feelings if they persist.

27 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

She quickly knelt and removed my shoe and began rubbing baby oil on my foot. 

Wow, try that with me and you'd find the other foot coming at you real quick, long before the first shoe was removed.

Anyway, for the OP:

We did the Monkeys/Sloths/Macaws Carnival excursion, and had a blast.  We felt very safe.

We typically don't do beach excursions per se (we live in FL, with beaches easily accessible all year round), so I cannot comment on those specifically.

We went to Roatan in March and did a non-Carnival excursion for the Monkeys and Sloths. It was fantastic and I felt safe the entire time. They have several vendors that do these excursions with tons of great reviews. No issues at all.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, mmtska said:

We went to Roatan in March and did a non-Carnival excursion for the Monkeys and Sloths. It was fantastic and I felt safe the entire time. They have several vendors that do these excursions with tons of great reviews. No issues at all.

Which tour group did you use? 

I’m going in December with Rony’s.  I have had the reservation for almost 4 years as my first cruise was canceled.  Rony’s was nice enough to transfer my deposit to the new cruise.  I read several reviews and all good.

• 1 month later...

Highly recommend Rony.  I'm sure you will feel comfortable with him.  We have visited Roatan for 15+/- years.  Rony has become a great friend.  We just returned from a 12-day visit.  Arnold(one of Rony's drivers) drove us all over the island.  We took supplies for children and families in a neighborhood in Coxen Hole.  We have never felt unsafe.  The people are so friendly.  The island now has police on the beach.  We let our belongings on beach chairs for hours every day.  Never had a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 9:24 AM, keywest1 said:

Roatan is gorgeous, but as mentioned above, the vendors are among the pushiest we 

have encountered.  I was sitting at a picnic table on the beach while DH & DD chatted with a local

fisherman.  A woman and her young DD approached me and asked if I would like a massage.  I would rather poke sharp sticks in my ear than have a massage.  I politely said no thank you.  She quickly knelt and removed my shoe and began rubbing baby oil on my foot.  I asked her to stop and she wouldn't.  She knew I wouldn't get too nasty with her young daughter there.  After DH and DD finished laughing their butts off from a distance, they came up.  I told DH to pay her and make her stop.  Five bucks worked. 

I love the island and would return in a heart beat, but I have learned to be very firm about refusing the vendors and not worry about hurting their feelings if they persist.

When I hear stories like this, I feel sorry for people who live in these economically depressed areas and have few opportunities for jobs.  What wouldn't you do to provide for your children?  I get why they're so pushy.  

Doesn't make it any more pleasant for us, the tourists.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looking at doing a snorkle tour next month.  Don't like the ones thru the ship.  Anyone have any suggestions??  So far I like one i found thru roatan cruise excursions.  Here is the link  https://roatancruiseexcursions.com/excursion/roatan-shipwreck-snorkeling/

wondered if anyone here has heard of this company??

10 hours ago, waterbugohio said:

Looking at doing a snorkle tour next month.  Don't like the ones thru the ship.  Anyone have any suggestions??  So far I like one i found thru roatan cruise excursions.  Here is the link  https://roatancruiseexcursions.com/excursion/roatan-shipwreck-snorkeling/

wondered if anyone here has heard of this company??

I used Rony’s Tours.  Arnold was our outstanding guide for the day.  We concluded our day with snorkeling at West Bay Beach.  It was great!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, ChuckF said:

Every time in Roatan, I grab a cab and go to the golf course.  No problem with the cab rides, nor the folks at the course. 

How is the golf in Roatan? Is there more than one course?