The Daily for Thursday 05/26/2022

richwmn

11 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

The doctors have ruled out that my brother suffered a heart attack. He has a therapist working with him to get him to swallow as he has only had a feeding tube. Also he is only semi-coherent with "Yes or No" responses. The plan is another 3 to 4 days being hospitalized and then moved to a rehab facility.

It is the week for contractors. Yesterday we had our porch ceiling repaired. The builder had used interior drywall on the exterior porch ceiling. Too much expansion/contraction for material that doesn't. The contractor  recovered it with PVC bead board sheeting. Scheduled for today we have a plumber coming to replace the kitchen faucet. We didn't notice  that it was leaking until finding water damage in the family room ceiling on the lower level. It is a Delta brand and unlike other brands, when they leak the water runs down the pipingand hose instead of onto the counter. A poor design and obviously we are replacing it with a different brand.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

That is excellent news your brother did not have a heart attack Jack.

Frustrating and annoying your porch roof is having to be repaired and your kitchen faucet is leaking.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowsby said:

Graham...sleep with a pillow between your knees....it keeps your hips in alignment and protects your knees...just FYI....:)

Thank you.

I have tried that as well as a special knee pillow but a combination of hip osteoarthritis and pressure pain on the inside of both knees means it is painful either way.

Fortunately Pauline say's I could sleep on a washing line as i I go to sleep very quickly but when I wake in the morning is when the pain is at its worst.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Many congratulations to your grand nephew for his graduation and honour roll yesterday Ann.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. He had a rough start because his parents were both addicts. He deals with ADHD, but does not let it stop him. He is a computer, robot-building guru, and he had an amazing math teacher who saw in him the potential to tackle & overcome high school algebra.  

I am just a little bit proud of him.😎

• Like 33

Good morning from sunny central Texas.

Sally K. Ride was a true pioneer for women.  My mother was a redhead, more auburn, but at times she did have a temper.  I an not a big fan of Dracula.

When I read the qoute, my thought was, I must have tried more new things than I realized.

We'll pass on the meal and wine, but might try the wine even with hints of latex and band-aid.

We have not been to today's port.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope the cabin change goes smoothly.

@grapau27  Graham, the steroid shots can work wonders.

@kazu  Jacqui, glad you aren't having a bad reaction to the booster.  I also think a slight reaction is a small price to pay.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana is in for many better days and nights.

@cat shepard  Ann, congratulations to your grand nephew.

@Heartgrove  Jack, sending good thoughts for continued improvement for your brother.  Glad he did not have a heart attack.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny central Texas.

Sally K. Ride was a true pioneer for women.  My mother was a redhead, more auburn, but at times she did have a temper.  I an not a big fan of Dracula.

When I read the qoute, my thought was, I must have tried more new things than I realized.

We'll pass on the meal and wine, but might try the wine even with hints of latex and band-aid.

We have not been to today's port.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope the cabin change goes smoothly.

@grapau27  Graham, the steroid shots can work wonders.

@kazu  Jacqui, glad you aren't having a bad reaction to the booster.  I also think a slight reaction is a small price to pay.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana is in for many better days and nights.

@cat shepard  Ann, congratulations to your grand nephew.

@Heartgrove  Jack, sending good thoughts for continued improvement for your brother.  Glad he did not have a heart attack.

Lenda

Thank you for the information Lenda.

The doctor said the steroids should help but it will be a few weeks before he does a steroid injections surgery.

He said he would do 1 knee first to see how it reacts with me.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  I’m typing on my IPhone so please bear with me on any typos. I read yesterday and today’s Daily so would like to thank you all for your Bon Voyage wishes. I have decided I will wave to the Port Everglades webcam people today when Island Princess leaves FLL, scheduled for 4 pm but who knows when it will actually happen. We’re the only ship in port. My balcony is on starboard side so I plan on standing on the port side top deck under the Island Princess sign. I’ll be wearing a dark pink tee and if DH is there he has on a sage green polo shirt. It should be fun!

We got an email this morning from Princess saying due to new rules on hauling heavy fuel in Spitsbergen territorial waters that stop has been cancelled. We are going to Alta and Lofoten Islands instead. Major disappointment since that is a major highlight of this cruise. We were there once already fortunately. 

Prayers said today for all the families of those stricken in Uvalde, all teachers and students hurting because of the horrible news, our Daily family and all the people of Ukraine. My DD is a fourth grade teacher and she says yesterday was hard. Today is the last day for her students. Then hopefully a full summer of happy fun times - the same thing those Texas kids were planning on. May they rest in peace.  

Thanks to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor posting my photos yesterday for beautiful Oslo. Today is Dalian and I have photos of that visit too though not so beautiful. 😉 LOL

Miss you all!

• Like 30

48 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

I have tried that as well as a special knee pillow but a combination of hip osteoarthritis and pressure pain on the inside of both knees means it is painful either way.

Fortunately Pauline say's I could sleep on a washing line as i I go to sleep very quickly but when I wake in the morning is when the pain is at its worst.

Graham.

The knee pillow.

IMG_20220526_142421.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Sally Ride was a remarkable woman who died too young.  We eat enough garlic from time to time that there's no way Dracula would ever lurk around here.  I've known some very feisty redheads.  After reading today's quote, I guess I must have tried a lot of new things.

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day - although it was a sad time to gather to say goodbye to a dear uncle, it was also a time for family to reconnect.  Because this is my birth family, even after all these years, I haven't met all of my cousins.   Yesterday helped in that respect, and it was so nice being welcomed by them as if we'd always been part of the family.   The funeral service was a typical Catholic mass, followed by the internment of ashes at a cemetery in the countryside.  While there it was just so peaceful with birds singing and the sound of frogs croaking; it made everything so light and pleasant that everyone left with a smile on their faces.  

When we returned home in the late afternoon, DH was anxious to get working on the plants, insisting we had to move some of them from indoors to outside.  I had a date with the television (Survivor finale), so helped with a couple of them and excused myself.  He continued to work for about an hour, then came in to do some computer things.   Have you ever heard a little girl scream?  Well, that's about what DH sounded like - I went running into the computer room to hear "There's a tick on my neck, there's a tick on my neck!"  LOL  Fortunately it hadn't attached itself, so I used a nearby ruler to scoop it onto a sheet of paper and stuck it into an empty container.  There's an app called eTick that you can download to your phone and after registering, you can then upload a photo of the offending critter and they will identify it for you.  It seems ours was the common "dog tick" that thankfully doesn't carry Lyme disease, it just makes men's voices go into shriek mode.  LOL   Just for good measure, we both did full body scans with mirrors and then showered using loofahs to be sure there weren't any more around.

@StLouisCruisers and @kb4683Bon Voyage; I'll watch for you at sail-away today!

@kazuI hope your FB was able to get things straightened out for you, and that the garden people did what they were supposed to.

We've got more yard work in the plans for today, so I think we'll be using insect repellent on our clothing and being sure to check one another regularly.  Because we'll be busy, I won't be doing a whole lot of cooking, so DH has said he'll cook dinner, which will likely be burgers (I'm good with that).  I'll put together a tossed salad and we'll have an easy dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.  Although, I'm not sure even at the low price of $9.98 per bottle, that I'd appreciate notes of latex and band-aid.  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the families and friends of those innocent victims in Texas and for the people of Ukraine and all they're having to endure.  Extra also for our Daily family who are having struggles.  We'll clink the wine glasses together to celebrate all who are on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, check for ticks, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 31
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We have had several  days of  Tana doing poorly and coupled with the school shooting in Texas ,the general mood of the household was low. We did have a better night last  night. Hopefully things will continue  to improve.

Hoping things do continue to improve for you all 🙏 

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

My grand nephew made the honor roll, and graduated with a credit in high school algebra. He worked hard for that one. 

Your pride is well deserved with the challenges he had 👍 Good for him!

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

The doctors have ruled out that my brother suffered a heart attack. He has a therapist working with him to get him to swallow as he has only had a feeding tube. Also he is only semi-coherent with "Yes or No" responses. The plan is another 3 to 4 days being hospitalized and then moved to a rehab facility.

Glad to hear that he didn’t suffer from a heart attack. 👍 Hoping the rehab facility can help him improve 🤞 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Melanie.

I am trying to sleep on my back at night now which has eased the pain a lot.

My moderate hip osteoarthritis means while sleeping on my side my knees are touching each other when sleeping which is painful when I wake up.

Graham.

I used the cortisone shots in the knees for a couple of years and they did provide relief.  When they stopped being as effective we switched to hyaluronic acid injections.  They helped for a while and they do last longer than the cortisone shots.  Finally, I had both knees replaced.  

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

Graham...sleep with a pillow between your knees....it keeps your hips in alignment and protects your knees...just FYI....:)

It is a shame that didn't help you because it was great for me.  What I ended up doing is putting the pillow just in front of the bottom leg and putting the top leg on the pillow.  That way the knees weren't on top of one another.  It also changes the pressure on the hip.

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you Graham. He had a rough start because his parents were both addicts. He deals with ADHD, but does not let it stop him. He is a computer, robot-building guru, and he had an amazing math teacher who saw in him the potential to tackle & overcome high school algebra.  

I am just a little bit proud of him.😎

As well you should be!  Congratulations!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I’m typing on my IPhone so please bear with me on any typos. I read yesterday and today’s Daily so would like to thank you all for your Bon Voyage wishes. I have decided I will wave to the Port Everglades webcam people today when Island Princess leaves FLL, scheduled for 4 pm but who knows when it will actually happen. We’re the only ship in port. My balcony is on starboard side so I plan on standing on the port side top deck under the Island Princess sign. I’ll be wearing a dark pink tee and if DH is there he has on a sage green polo shirt. It should be fun!

We got an email this morning from Princess saying due to new rules on hauling heavy fuel in Spitsbergen territorial waters that stop has been cancelled. We are going to Alta and Lofoten Islands instead. Major disappointment since that is a major highlight of this cruise. We were there once already fortunately. 

Prayers said today for all the families of those stricken in Uvalde, all teachers and students hurting because of the horrible news, our Daily family and all the people of Ukraine. My DD is a fourth grade teacher and she says yesterday was hard. Today is the last day for her students. Then hopefully a full summer of happy fun times - the same thing those Texas kids were planning on. May they rest in peace.  

Thanks to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor posting my photos yesterday for beautiful Oslo. Today is Dalian and I have photos of that visit too though not so beautiful. 😉 LOL

Miss you all!

Lovely to hear from you on your cruise Sandi.

I hope you both have the best cruise ever.

Graham 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Sally Ride was a wonderful influence back when I was a Girl Guide leader. I’ve never been a natural redhead, but dyed my hair bright red for a while after my first marriage ended. I needed a change of head space, and being a redhead for a while certainly did the trick!

We are back on the mainland now. My rose bushes are absolutely loaded with buds. None have quite opened yet, but it’s going to be quite a show. Even two of the three newly planted ones have buds.The long cold spring has held them back, but they seem to want to make up for it. The banana plants that did so well last year have finally sent up shoots. This time last year they were leafy and about two feet high. Now they are six inch single spikes, but they survived that harsh winter after all, which is the main point.

Happy Thursday, everyone! For those cruising, be happy you’re  on a BHB and not the Carnival Freedom, with the smoke stack on fire in Grand Turk!

2EB673BB-5AB6-49D0-B1C7-51B3A88F7405.thumb.jpeg.743414145400bfae589e22c2a3e8559f.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@grapau27  Graham, DH uses Aspercreme on his knees at bedtime, and it works all night.  If you don't have Aspercreme in the UK, it is a cream or lotion that has lidocaine as an ingredient.  It can also be applied every few hours.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

This was recommended by Pauline's cousin in Australia where humans swear by it 

It is for horses and dogs and we bought it on line from the pet shed.

It certainly works but if I rub anything into my knees to long I must have soft tissue damage because the inside of my knees ache.

16535784899441636545404874652778.jpg

• Like 15

Good morning all!

I didn't get here yesterday, it was a busy day.  DH and I went to a matinee to see Downton Abbey: A New Era (excellent movie and must-see for all Downton lovers!)  and as soon as I got home I put a second coat of stain on the deck.  We thought that by going mid-week and to an early matinee we would be safest -- and it was great for the most part.  Everyone was spread out in the theater --- until about 2/3 way through the movie, when a group of 3 or 4 people came stumbling into the theater in the dark and proceeded to sit --- you got it, right behind us.  😡  the topper was when one of their phones rang!  Who comes that late to a movie??  Geesh. I seem to be a magnet for people like that.   Anyway, it was so well done, and DH and I always enjoy seeing exterior shots of Highclere because we were there in 2014, the first year they started tours.  I'm ready to watch the movie again already.

I salute Sally Ride, pass on Dracula.  I was a strawberry blonde which turned later to auburn and then light grey.  And yes, there have been many times I've been called feisty, and have a temper (but only when crossed LOL)

Will pass on the meal, drink and wine and haven't been to China.  

Another busy day, more staining the deck if the weather cooperates, groceries, and tonight we're going to the zoo with DD and the grandsons.  It's member appreciation day, so open only to members after hours.  There's a bit of rain in the forecast....we'll see how it goes.

@smitty34877Terry I hope things continue to improve.

@cat shepardAnn you must be rightfully proud of your grand nephew's achievements.

@StLouisCruisersSandi and @kb4683Kay Bon Voyage!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, All.  I like the old Dracula movies.  Maybe we'll binge watch some today, as DH is still in quarantine.  We could probably find a Lucille Ball movie as well, to pay our respects to red-heads.

I'm sorry to hear that you won't stop in Spitsbergen, @StLouisCruisersSandi.  But your cruise does have many interesting stops, so it should be wonderful nonetheless.  

We booked the nice 30-day Atlantic Sunsets and British Isles for next May.  I had booked a Cunard crossing and DH was not enthusiastic about having to dress for dinner every night.  He offered to find a good alternative.  His choice won't exactly be torture. lol

I thought I'd give a covid update, just because this virus continues to surprise.  DH is still testing positive for the 8th day.  I'm still negative.  We have confidence in the tests because we've used three different brands and both our results are consistent. It's curious because DH is usually the healthier of the two of us.  I typically catch everything.  We both had four jabs.  I had Pfizer all four; DH did three Pfizer and one Moderna.  We wonder if that made a difference.  Who knows?  His symptoms are mild -- a bit tired.  

@grapau27, nobody believes us, but DH and I swear by eliminating nightshades from the diet -- tomatoes, peppers, eggplant -- to ease arthritic pain.  We both have bad knees and hips and really do notice less inflammation if we stick to the program.  Pizza and spaghetti are hard to pass up, but we do try.

That's about it here today from sunny San Diego.  Wishing all a lovely day -- whether on land or at sea.  😊

Maxine

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All,

@bennybear

This is just a fast post to provide the recipe to the Passion Fruit Cake as promised. 

I used these recipes as a base:

Lemon Layer Cake:
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/lemon-cake/

https://www.thelittleepicurean.com/2021/04/passion-fruit-cake.html

https://www.thelittleepicurean.com/2021/03/passion-fruit-curd.html#wprm-recipe-container-27098

passion fruit frosting
https://www.passionforbaking.com/blog/2018/04/11/passionfruit-frosting/

The sorted out instructions are in the attached PDF. I plan to make the cake again, with the left over ingredients, but will use the cake base from the Little Epucurean. Incidentally, the lemon layer cake is really good with the frosting as written. 

3F395501-17B0-46E3-8FC0-5653DEAB7642.thumb.jpeg.a1e1807b0af56c6f021b3acf0ce6530e.jpeg

Now off, to see Dad. (Our weekly "date").

Have a great day everyone!

Passion Fruit Layer Cake.pdf

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5