Viking final payment date

HSBC

For ocean cruise, normally the final payment date is 90 days prior to the sailing date.

For Viking River cruise, when is the final payment date?

Thanks!

You mean, for ocean or river cruise on MOST cruise lines.  Viking is notorious for demanding final payment far, far in advance of everybody else.  Some people report being able to get Viking to give them slightly better terms, but never as good as 90 days.

• Like 3

My last "normal" Viking river cruise reservation was made January 2018 for a September 2019 cruise. They wanted final payment June 30, 2018. Crazy!

My upcoming river cruise was a cancelled pandemic reservation, so it was paid in full two years ago. For my upcoming 2023 Viking ocean, I reserved it February 2021 and they wanted final December 31, 2021. I told them that was a bit ridiculous, so now it's due by November 2022, which is 6 months before sailing. 

• Like 1

Viking is so far the only company that I have read demand final payment one year before the cruise date. All other companies have been reported here on CC as asking anything between six months and 60 days, and even just 30 days I remember.

As has been mentioned, you can push Viking in the right direction, but not far enough for my liking.

notamermaid

• Like 3

The odd thing about Viking bookings - posts are correct, they usually demand payment within 30 days of booking, even for cruises year out. Unless two cruises are booked, and then second cruise can be extended to 6 months out.

However for Other Countries - they allow final payment at 60 days from trip. Never understood why, but other international travelers have confirmed information is correct. 

Viking is aware other companies give much more leeway in payment terms.  But they seldom budge, even for frequent guests.  Their attitude seems to be - “then book with the other company”.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, milling73 said:

However for Other Countries - they allow final payment at 60 days from trip. Never understood why, but other international travelers have confirmed information is correct. 

In the European Union which until recently included the UK (and that country may continue to stick to such laws) consumer rights as far as I understand it, do not allow the US terms and conditions of Viking to be applied one to one. I am of course not familiar with details, but the US Viking and the UK Viking website and fine print differ from each other and the final payment date thing sticks out from that as a major difference, but there will be other more subtle differences as well.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Notamermaid - thanks for clarification. Be nice if us here could somehow book under European residency!!!! 

When older it is a test of optimistic faith to spend that much money year or more out, that we will take trip.
but as travel eases and more return, if we wait to within couple of months of when wanting to go - tours are sold out…

So its a catch 22. 
I just make sure our children have the booking info and company of future plans - to either get refund or change to their name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

I have a feeling that Australia has similar controls.

Yes, I remember from comments of Australian cruisers and general travel info on the net getting the impression over the years that Australia is big on consumer rights as regards travel.

notamermaid

I'm considering going on a river cruise for the first time in fall of 2023 and I'm just astounded at Viking's full payment policy. Granted, I'm used to ocean cruises with full payment 90 days before departure. As mentioned in the thread already it appears that Viking is the only (river) line with this type of policy. I'm curious as to why more people don't balk at this? They're earning interest on your money for an entire year! Doing this during the ongoing COVID saga makes me scratch my head even more....is Viking really that good vs. other lines that people simply don't care about giving them the entire amount a year in advance?

5 hours ago, IUwdwcp2001 said:

I'm considering going on a river cruise for the first time in fall of 2023 and I'm just astounded at Viking's full payment policy. Granted, I'm used to ocean cruises with full payment 90 days before departure. As mentioned in the thread already it appears that Viking is the only (river) line with this type of policy. I'm curious as to why more people don't balk at this? They're earning interest on your money for an entire year! Doing this during the ongoing COVID saga makes me scratch my head even more....is Viking really that good vs. other lines that people simply don't care about giving them the entire amount a year in advance?

Viking's ads on PBS make it the only river cruise line many people have ever heard of.  So they think this is normal.  You, as an astute member of Cruise Critic, know better!  And the sticky's at the top of this thread will help you discover and compare the many other river cruise line options.  Enjoy your research, and bon voyage!

• Like 1

So we just booked a viking nile river cruise for September 2024 and they wanted full payment by August 2022.. CRAZY- other river cruises and Nile land tours are 60-90 days before. I am going to try to push it forward !!!!  We'll see if I succeed....or perhaps rethink this.....

Edited by suefrankw

Cancellation Fee Schedule Effective for Cruise Tours (other than Grand & World Cruise Voyage) booked on and after August 1, 2018:
Written Notice received Days Prior to Departure Date -- Cancellation fee Per Passenger
120 or more $100.00
119 to 90 20% of Full Fare
89 to 70 35% of Full Fare
69 to 50 50% of Full Fare
49 to 30 75% of Full Fare
29 or fewer 100% of Full Fare

Viking is good, no doubt. We have enjoyed all of our trips. But I think the reason they get so much business is due to their advertising dept. They are pretty much the only cruise line we see on tv ads, mail catalogs, and travel websites.  
But pretty much all cruise lines use the same rivers and ports, with similar boats. 

if not for vouchers we needed to use  - we would have probably moved to Avalon (a Globus company). Prices and itineraies are very similar, and Their booking policy much more fair. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, loriva said:

Emerald has been advertising on the Orlando NBC affiliate, WESH 2, for the past month.  First time I've seen any river cruise line advertising on that station.

I can’t recommend booking a cruise on emerald. Plenty of complaints here on cruise critic about their complete lack of customer service or communication. Even if your cruise is wonderful, you have 6 - 12 months or more of radio silence. Travel agents and customers spend hours, literally hours on hold. Little to no information available on their website. Avoid avoid!