Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

Also reminds me of when I was booking a Cancun trip. Of course, many gravitate towards "all-inclusive" because it is convenient, and you "don't have to worry about charges". Meanwhile, when pricing it out, it was $750 for the Ritz and $2200 for the Riu. I could buy a pack of beer and bottle of bourbon at the store (which I usually do), and other drinks when I want them. Not to mention I want local eats in Cancun, not the AI slop. 

Just went to Vegas and everyone wanted to buy these huge bundles of things to do "because it would be so much cheaper than buying it separate". I was the only one against it. They weren't happy at first. Then in the end, when we ended up being satisfied doing what we wanted to do, with the choices we were free to make on our own, for a fraction of the price. There was no savings in these bundles. Just feel-good up-sells.

Seriously, people are overly and completely obsessed with "unlimited" and "bundles" on vacation. Like companies are giving away free beachfront property. I've heard all of the amazing reasons why it's relaxing to blow the budget out of the water before you even consider what you truly need. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Also reminds me of when I was booking a Cancun trip. Of course, many gravitate towards "all-inclusive" because it is convenient, and you "don't have to worry about charges". Meanwhile, when pricing it out, it was $750 for the Ritz and $2200 for the Riu. I could buy a pack of beer and bottle of bourbon at the store (which I usually do), and other drinks when I want them. Not to mention I want local eats in Cancun, not the AI slop. 

Just went to Vegas and everyone wanted to buy these huge bundles of things to do "because it would be so much cheaper than buying it separate". I was the only one against it. They weren't happy at first. Then in the end, when we ended up being satisfied doing what we wanted to do, with the choices we were free to make on our own, for a fraction of the price. There was no savings in these bundles. Just feel-good up-sells.

Seriously, people are overly and completely obsessed with "unlimited" and "bundles" on vacation. Like companies are giving away free beachfront property. I've heard all of the amazing reasons why it's relaxing to blow the budget out of the water before you even consider what you truly need. 

Not sure why you're ranting about how others spend their money when it doesn't affect you in the least.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

And some people can't afford the vacation or the package. Your point? A lot can be done with $1200 that is more valuable than this.

I mean then let’s all donate the money we were going to spend on our cruises to a local shelter if that’s the case if since we’re going to just subjectively tell others what is or is not worth the money that they earned and now want to spend.

Edited by doppelganger2621
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I've heard all of the amazing reasons why it's relaxing to blow the budget out of the water before you even consider what you truly need. 

If the issue was "what you truly need", then no specialty restaurants would be on board.  Take the Spa out.  Demolish all the cabanas on Labadee and Coco Cay.  Bye Bye to the Ship's Tour.   They can get more room by taking out the arcade.  Heck, shrink the cabins to a single size and put in bunk beds.   

If someone wants to get the drink package, more power to them.  My family is getting the refreshment package.  It's not a "need", we'd survive without it very easily, but it's a "want"... as is much of a vacation... anywhere. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

And some people can't afford the vacation or the package. Your point? A lot can be done with $1200 that is more valuable than this.

Pointing out that the cruise line is just trying to make large amounts of money here. A far cry from the constant "break even plans". Almost no one purchases all of these cocktails and vitamin waters on their own. It is silly math.

As a bourbon drinker myself, I far prefer Carnival's options. I can buy a 1 liter of bourbon for $130. That will last me the whole vacation. Drink a beer and a cocktail when I want it, bring wine, drinks at port. We never have broken $300 total. I know everyone is ready to tell me a story of conveniences, water bottles, and whatever "premium stuff" I can get in a cup or bottle. Yet somehow, that is not the questionable logic when I can spend 4x the price for what?

Trying to break it down doesn't change the fact that $1200 is $1200. A lot of us also know that one half is likely not going to use it as much. Perhaps my situation is heavily influenced by having another half that doesn't want to drink.

I have traveled with friends, girlfriends, family, friends of family and friends, and so on. Never have I ever seen anyone buy 5 "drinks" a day, for a week. Not to mention at full markup price and as a couple. Recite all of the marketing lines you want. 5 drinks a day is over-simplifying what it really is. Take $15 cocktails. At $1200, that is 80 between the couple for a week. is the average couple really craving 80 cocktails?

Sure the new prices don't help. I've done drink packages before. Each time I regretted it. I overdrank and felt the need to get things I would have never wanted to "get my monies worth". I felt sluggish from all of that crap. Day 1 or 2, it's really fun. By 3 or 4, it's not as fun. At port, it loses more value. Especially when you go to port and you find a dive or even a shop that sells drinks real cheap. 

Many people think they are "pulling a fast one" by breaking even. The cruise line couldn't care either way. Either way, you have made them a crap ton of money.

Call me crazy, I also like to take a break or a light drinking day here and there on vacation. I don't need it all the time to have fun.

It's all well and good, but we're not all bourbon drinkers. On average on a cruise I drink:

- Specialty coffee and fresh orange juice for breakfast

- A few beers at the pool. Maybe a cocktail.

- A few glasses of wine during dinner

- A few beers at night

Newsflash: before the drink package existed (yes, there was such a time), I probably would have skipped the breakfast drinks but no reason to limit yourself on a vacation. Doesn't mean getting stupid drunk every day. Just enjoying yourself. So yes, the "math" does work for most of us. And yes, most of us are upset that the drink package pricing went up by 20%.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, $1,200 for OP is based on $85 a day a person. They can do much better.

Enjoy your bourbon on the next cruise. I'm enjoying not having to worry about a huge alcohol bill after my cruise.

1 hour ago, exm said:

- Specialty coffee and fresh orange juice for breakfast

- A few beers at the pool. Maybe a cocktail.

- A few glasses of wine during dinner

- A few beers at night

If I had a cruise with all sea days, the DBP would "make sense" for me.  Doing some rough math based on the above, looks like ~$100  (assuming "a few beers" = 3 and "a few glasses of wine" = 2).  

However, port days is where I lose interest.  So the drinks I would normally have on board (at least 2-3 if not more), I can't take advantage of in port, so that means I need to "make them up" on other days.

9 hours ago, Big_G said:

Not sure why you're ranting about how others spend their money when it doesn't affect you in the least.

This is what I’m not understanding. There has to be other reasons why someone would care how another person spends their money. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

This is what I’m not understanding. There has to be other reasons why someone would care how another person spends their money. 

I don’t think the poster “cares” how others spend their money. It’s just the flip side opinion to the posts from others on how the drink package makes sense.

Not everyone is going to feel the same way about something and that’s ok. No need to attack someone for a different opinion.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2022 at 9:43 PM, grandgeezer said:

The $22 per drink is for one day, per drink. The $72 is per day times the number of days, say 7. 7 x $72 = $504. Must be the new math.

Don’t forget auto gratuity.  That makes it about 600 which seems to be the new norm for most 7 night cruises in the Caribbean market.  My next cruise this summer is priced at 79 per day plus gratuity.  The refreshment package itself is 29 per day.  They must really kill it off that one.

The cost of refreshment package drinks is very cheap for almost all of the drinks (a bottled water probably cost them far less than 10c per bottle for example).  Fountain soda is also very low cost.   Some of the others may have higher costs, but overall they must have extremely high profit margins on refreshment package drinks.  I say that knowing they already have high margins for the deluxe package.  

13 hours ago, doppelganger2621 said:

The difference between a package costing $1200 and a package costing $800 is roughly two drinks per day per person. If you’re a person who drinks, on average, 5 drinks per day (and that doesn’t even included specialty beverages, bottled water, etc), then it’s essentially worth it because you’re going to spend that money anyway.

If you’re someone who drinks 4 per day, then no it’s not going to be worth it, but in the end, who cares? You’re saving money by not getting the beverage package.

Again, I tend to think the people most upset  are the folks who remember grabbing the package at $40-50 who aren’t getting way more than their money’s worth. And like everyone has basically admitted on this thread—Royal isn’t pricing this so cruisers can get their money’s worth.

It’s not about being a sucker, it’s that they are banking on people not being smart consumers

You think Royal is banking on customers being “not smart” to sell their products?   I guess you could say this about every company then?   

Royal and other companies have always made a great deal of their profit on alcohol.  Packages don’t necessarily increase or decrease their profit.  

Packages, in part, help them more accurately forecast and budget.  By knowing months in advance that you have X number of folks that have already spent X amount on beverages it provides for more accurate revenue intake and reduces the need for onboard marketing strategies (which require significant onboard resources).  Add to this Royal gets prepaid for all the drinks (again months in advance).  Packages also help the cruise companies present their product as having more all inclusive options which help them compete with types of businesses.  All these same factors apply to dining packages too. 

There are many strategic layers to these packages.  It isn’t all about them hoping the customer isn’t smart.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I don’t think the poster “cares” how others spend their money. It’s just the flip side opinion to the posts from others on how the drink package makes sense.

Not everyone is going to feel the same way about something and that’s ok. No need to attack someone for a different opinion.

You have obviously missed many of the posts that have been removed or you would understand my comment. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Thank you for saying this. Even the OP who seemed to get a lot of people upset was just stating an opinion.   If the cost outrages you, the price is "outrageous."  If it doesn't, then it's not.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

You think Royal is banking on customers being “not smart” to sell their products?   I guess you could say this about every company then?   

Royal and other companies have always made a great deal of their profit on alcohol.  Packages don’t necessarily increase or decrease their profit.  

Packages, in part, help them more accurately forecast and budget.  By knowing months in advance that you have X number of folks that have already spent X amount on beverages it provides for more accurate revenue intake and reduces the need for onboard marketing strategies (which require significant onboard resources).  Add to this Royal gets prepaid for all the drinks (again months in advance).  Packages also help the cruise companies present their product as having more all inclusive options which help them compete with types of businesses.  All these same factors apply to dining packages too. 

There are many strategic layers to these packages.  It isn’t all about them hoping the customer isn’t smart.  

Packages help increase engagement of a product too. It's similar to the psychology of a fast food "all soft drinks are the same price". Since the large is the same price as the small, you are getting a good deal by buying the large. They could have marked down the small, but it wouldn't have the same psychological effect. In the end, their goal was just to get you to buy a drink with massive markup. 

The average cocktail margin is 80%. If what brings you enjoyment on your vacation by drinking them by the gallon, then there's nothing wrong with that. But for the rest of us to have to take your financial advice on how it's a "no-brainer," it isn't. It's smart business of the cruise lines to take a product that restaurants want to sell you very badly, and make people commit thousands to that same cause. 

The average American has a net worth of $121,000. Many could have far more if they spent their money more wisely. Good on those who have been able to reach something higher. I've sat through far too many stories of "good deals" people got on expensive stuff they didn't need and/or how they need to splurge because they can't afford it often and/or how I am lucky to be able to afford travel so much. I've watched so many people get these packages "because it's nice" and not utilize it. Yet the winners seem to be those that force themselves to drink extra stuff. Seems to me that either aren't winning. 

"It is easier to food people than to convince them they have been fooled"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Packages help increase engagement of a product too. It's similar to the psychology of a fast food "all soft drinks are the same price". Since the large is the same price as the small, you are getting a good deal by buying the large. They could have marked down the small, but it wouldn't have the same psychological effect. In the end, their goal was just to get you to buy a drink with massive markup. 

The average cocktail margin is 80%. If what brings you enjoyment on your vacation by drinking them by the gallon, then there's nothing wrong with that. But for the rest of us to have to take your financial advice on how it's a "no-brainer," it isn't. It's smart business of the cruise lines to take a product that restaurants want to sell you very badly, and make people commit thousands to that same cause. 

The average American has a net worth of $121,000. Many could have far more if they spent their money more wisely. Good on those who have been able to reach something higher. I've sat through far too many stories of "good deals" people got on expensive stuff they didn't need and/or how they need to splurge because they can't afford it often and/or how I am lucky to be able to afford travel so much. I've watched so many people get these packages "because it's nice" and not utilize it. Yet the winners seem to be those that force themselves to drink extra stuff. Seems to me that either aren't winning. 

Please enlighten me on where I have given financial advice or called something a no brainer?   Seems to me you are really twisting my comment, which seems to happen all the time on CC.  

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I've watched so many people get these packages "because it's nice" and not utilize it. Yet the winners seem to be those that force themselves to drink extra stuff. Seems to me that either aren't winning. 

Case in point:  there's a person posting on this thread who claims they get 5 free drinks per day due to their past cruising status,  uses none of them, but buys a drink package and uses that.

18 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Case in point:  there's a person posting on this thread who claims they get 5 free drinks per day due to their past cruising status,  uses none of them, but buys a drink package and uses that.

I don't see that as the same thing at all.... they utilize the drink package because even with the free drinks, it's financially better for them to get the package.  

Why would you bother to use the free drink vouchers if you had the package anyway?  (I guess you could use them to buy drinks for people around you, but you're under no obligation to do so.)

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I don't see that as the same thing at all.... they utilize the drink package because even with the free drinks, it's financially better for them to get the package.  

Why would you bother to use the free drink vouchers if you had the package anyway?  (I guess you could use them to buy drinks for people around you, but you're under no obligation to do so.)

I wouldn't buy the drink package.  Why would I - so I can "save money" on an additional 5+ bar drinks each and every day?

30 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The average markup for a cocktail and what the cruise line marks them up isn’t even in the same zip code. About the only cocktail we drink at home is Jack and Coke. On sale the Jack is about $34, tax included for a 1.75 liter. Coke, on sale, is $.33 per can. I don’t know what it cost on the ship, but I’m guessing the $34+ will get me 3-4 glasses. 

What we do drink is domestic beer. On sale (Memorial Day) I got it for $.55 per 12 oz serving. On the ship, I think it would be $9-$10 dollars at least. My price was for one case, I’m sure, at the quantities they buy, the lines pay a whole lot less. 

We don’t buy drinks much, but when we do the beer is about $4 and Jack $6.50, both plus tip.

On cruises we actually drink more than we do at home and that’s drinking the free drinks we get for our status with the particular line.

As far as affording it, money is the least of our worries even in this down market, recession, or whatever you want to call it.

15 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

I wouldn't buy the drink package.  Why would I - so I can "save money" on an additional 5+ bar drinks each and every day?

I'm with you. With our D+ 5 a day, it's much cheaper to buy a few more if we want. In a recent port intensive cruise, it was difficult to drink the 5 we already got.

• Like 2

Here is a comparable for UBP pricing on a couple sailings.

For our sailing, NYE on Harmony, the drink package was $75 US as of yesterday. For Mariner in October it is $100 US, when we last looked.

Are they deals or not, that is up to the individual.  

Edited by A&L_Ont

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Here is a comparable for UBP pricing on a couple sailings.

For our sailing, NYE on Harmony, the drink package was $75 US as of yesterday. For Mariner in October it is $100 US, when we last looked.

Are they deals or not, up to the individual.  

$100 pp per day......Look into purchasing a brewery...........That's license to steal, just don't bend over. 😲

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

For Mariner in October it is $100 US, when we last looked.

Are they deals or not, that is up to the individual.  

Yikes....now I am starting to think that theory someone posted, that RC are trying to avoid running out of their limited supply of booze might be on point.  Mariner i s a rather small ship and these are higher than Oasis prices, so the theory makes sense.

26 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The average markup for a cocktail and what the cruise line marks them up isn’t even in the same zip code. About the only cocktail we drink at home is Jack and Coke. On sale the Jack is about $34, tax included for a 1.75 liter. Coke, on sale, is $.33 per can. I don’t know what it cost on the ship, but I’m guessing the $34+ will get me 3-4 glasses. 

What we do drink is domestic beer. On sale (Memorial Day) I got it for $.55 per 12 oz serving. On the ship, I think it would be $9-$10 dollars at least. My price was for one case, I’m sure, at the quantities they buy, the lines pay a whole lot less. 

We don’t buy drinks much, but when we do the beer is about $4 and Jack $6.50, both plus tip.

On cruises we actually drink more than we do at home and that’s drinking the free drinks we get for our status with the particular line.

As far as affording it, money is the least of our worries even in this down market, recession, or whatever you want to call it.

Long time ago was a Restaurant/Bar Manager. Food Costs 2 places I worked ran low as 14% for Fast Food Mexican Rest and high as 33% for Full Service with Premium Food Cuts. But Liquor costs were 5% and being on College Campus Drinking was our Bread and Butter!

Edited by ONECRUISER

19 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Yikes....now I am starting to think that theory someone posted, that RC are trying to avoid running out of their limited supply of booze might be on point.  Mariner i s a rather small ship and these are higher than Oasis prices, so the theory makes sense.

If it's a 5 nighter with stops at Labadee and Coco Cay, the per day is going to be at the upper end of the price scale since you can use it off the ship as well.  And it being easier to drink heavily for 5 days straight compared to 7.

Edited by billslowsky
  • Like 1