Kusadasi, Turkey

Agree with Alfaeric...you can do both.

We just came back from Kusadasi (twice)...visited Ephesus and the House of the Virgin Mary. If you tell the driver NOT to stop at a leather factory or a carpet shop, you will have plenty of time to walk around town.

* As you exit the cruise terminal, you'll have 3 options where to walk.

1.  Walk directly across the street and you'll see all the stores.

2. Walk left, and you'll see a wonderful and lively oceanview promenade.

3. Walk right, (50 yards of the promenade still under renovation), it's an 8-minuts walk to Pigeon Island...if you're adventurous and love to walk..continue up the road, 15-minute walk is Jade Beach.

• Like 1

can I ask a question here. I asked it in the port board, but no one answered.

I will be in Kusadasi in July. We have a tour of Ephesus booked and I've asked to be dropped off at 1:30 at Ladies Beach for lunch and leisure.  I wondered what the best way to get back to port was?

Thanks

8 hours ago, vjmatty said:

We’ve already been to Ephesus so for our next port visit to Kudadasi I’ve booked a rental car to see the ancient ruins in Priene, Didyma and Miletus. 

Three amazing and under visited sites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Go to Ephesus. Downtown was a pain with the markets. I got tired of saying “no thanks” every other step.

Great advice.

We got a taxi to Ephesus.

Driver took us and waited for the two hours it took to visit.

We declined the obligatory carpet stop on the way back.

I was in Ephesus yesterday on a ship’s  tour and we stopped at the carpet and jewelry place.  An hour of nothing but high pressure salesmanship.  They did give us a glass of wine (or beer, oozo, or coke) and a snack to enjoy (?) during their presentation.

You should have time for both.  We took the ship's tour to Ephesus and then shopped in town.  The rugs were a hard sell (no interest), but I did purchase a leather jacket.  They're known for their quality leather, so you may be interested if you're in the market for a new belt.

Ephesus is a must see.  Kusadasi is good for shopping if you want to be solicited nonstop to buy.  We did buy some leather goods there, but given the choice between there and Ephesus, would opt for Ephesus every time.

I enjoyed Izmir as well, are they offering tours to Izmir?  I echo the Ephesus trip and House of the Virgin but would argue that the rug places are fun to see too.   Even if you don't buy they do the whole demonstration sales pitch and I found that fun to watch.  As a child we used to see that mimicked  in cartoons and I always thought it was exaggeration but no! too fun, a real spiel.  The traditional pottery is lovely too if you like majolica and the pottery places are often included on the tours. Watch out for the beggar children and do not give them any money.... Some of them have been trained to steal (we toured with a diplomatic representative and were so advised).  This is a beautiful area with lovely beaches.  We have stayed in a resort in Cesme and I could go back anytime!

here is the difference between the shops at the port and the ones at Ephesus, 

fake items at the port are Chinese produced and there u get what you pay for and less.

Shops at Ephesus have bags etc made in Turkey, much higher quality and many items are done local, price is same or better. 

ie A LV bag made by the chinese you will see if you look offset patterns, or bad colours, same type bag made in Turkey you cant see this offset and colours are closer to the genuine item...

You can do both as we did, week ago and was fantastic went to some local stores too grabbed some great local items, real saffron, EVOO, Holy Water, other spices, and rubbing oils...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welly9 said:

here is the difference between the shops at the port and the ones at Ephesus, 

fake items at the port are Chinese produced and there u get what you pay for and less.

Shops at Ephesus have bags etc made in Turkey, much higher quality and many items are done local, price is same or better. 

ie A LV bag made by the chinese you will see if you look offset patterns, or bad colours, same type bag made in Turkey you cant see this offset and colours are closer to the genuine item...

You can do both as we did, week ago and was fantastic went to some local stores too grabbed some great local items, real saffron, EVOO, Holy Water, other spices, and rubbing oils...

Thanks Welly. What did you pay for the spices and oils? 

ohhh geeze, I cant recall exactly a few euros, different sizes, but prizes seemed very good, there were therapeutic oils too, drank some teas as samples, showed us how to make sure the saffron was real, etc were sampled/sipped oils even , tried Turkey candy too lol,