Pre purchasing OBC

Hi all, I am in Aus, have been on many cruises and I recall few years ago I purchased OBC thru RCCL page (I have a feeling it was in the gift section) does anyone know is this still available at all as I cannot see and can’t find any info about it. As we have 2 cruises booked (both from Aus) on Quantam of the seas (US onboard ) 
thank you in advance.

Thanks molly361. Yes we in Aus. I have called RCCL here and they say we can’t, 🙄I know we did but as said it was quite few years ago. Thanks anyway. I will keep searching. 😀

You can also go to their gift certificates page and purchase OBC that way (that's how we do it for every cruise since the restart). The last time we tried to pre purchase by calling, they mistakenly posted the OBC amount as a debit on the cruise and then emailed us that we owed that amount.

https://royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

Edited by orville99

Unless you want to gift OBC, or are trying to travel without using a credit card, I don't see any advantage to pre-purchasing OBC this way, but I do see a risk in doing it.  You have to redeem the gift certificate for OBC no less than 10 days before the cruise.  It seems that once redeemed, if you don't take the cruise, then you lose the OBC.  I would guess if RCI cancels, then it would get refunded or become FCC.  If you have travel insurance, you'd want to make sure the amount of this OBC is factored in.

I've seen a lot of people talking about buying on board credit. Some people are saying they do that instead of paying for a drink package.

I don't get it. What is the benefit in doing this? I'm trying to come up with a scenario for which I'd want to give RC money that I don't owe them, before I've spent it, instead of just having them bill my credit card as I make purchases on board. Is there a discount offered for buying/using OBC?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The number I posted is not for Gift Certificates.  They will take your credit card number and give you OBC for any amount.  No need for buying and redeeming gift certificates

True. Two completely different methods, which is why I made the statement that presents a second method:

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

You can also go to their gift certificates page and purchase OBC that way

22 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I've seen a lot of people talking about buying on board credit. Some people are saying they do that instead of paying for a drink package.

I don't get it. What is the benefit in doing this? I'm trying to come up with a scenario for which I'd want to give RC money that I don't owe them, before I've spent it, instead of just having them bill my credit card as I make purchases on board. Is there a discount offered for buying/using OBC?

Personally I don't see it either. But as you saw from reading those drink package discussions, some people find it "convenient" to pay in advance. As said, doesn't make sense to me, but for them it does.

That said, I can think of other reasons as well. For example, because the price onboard is in US dollars, but most of those overseas pay in another currency, prepaying is a chance to lock in the current rates. That may be either as a safeguard against your own currency depreciating, or that you think it's a good time to buy and the USD will get stronger later (similar effects).

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The number I posted is not for Gift Certificates.  They will take your credit card number and give you OBC for any amount.  No need for buying and redeeming gift certificates

OK, so to directly add OBC you call and give them a credit card.  I assume that would be refundable, as with other pre-purchases (DBP, UDP, shorex) if the cruise is cancelled?  I still don't see any advantage to that.

22 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Right? Since basically everything goes on the Seapass anyway, I don’t really get it from a convenience or economic standpoint. I’d also like to have the peace of mind to dispute charges directly to my credit card company should the need arise. After you buy the OBC you basically have no real recourse if there’s any issues.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

OK, so to directly add OBC you call and give them a credit card.  I assume that would be refundable, as with other pre-purchases (DBP, UDP, shorex) if the cruise is cancelled?  I still don't see any advantage to that.

2 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

Right? Since basically everything goes on the Seapass anyway, I don’t really get it from a convenience or economic standpoint. I’d also like to have the peace of mind to dispute charges directly to my credit card company should the need arise. After you buy the OBC you basically have no real recourse if there’s any issues.

Op asked if OBC can be purchased and put into their account before boarding.  It's none of my business nor do I care why they want to do that

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, doppelganger2621 said:

I was thinking this as well.

(For some reason it deleted your comment, but I was trying to quote the part where you mentioned about being able to dispute charges with your credit card).

Edited by ARandomTraveler

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Op asked if OBC can be purchased and put into their account before boarding.  It's none of my business nor do I care why they want to do that

If there's a discount or some sort of financial benefit to do so, why should I not be allowed to ask and find out? Why are you being so sensitive about me wanting to get in on the benefits? Is it a secret only for Diamond members or something? 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

If there's a discount or some sort of financial benefit to do so, why should I not be allowed to ask and find out? Why are you being so sensitive about me wanting to get in on the benefits? Is it a secret only for Diamond members or something? 😂

I believe the issues is that the OP did not ask, "Should I pre-buy OBC, why or why not?" but instead asked, "How to I pre-buy OBC?"  Some people are very particular about comments in threads going outside the scope of the  question that was asked.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I believe the issues is that the OP did not ask, "Should I pre-buy OBC, why or why not?" but instead asked, "How to I pre-buy OBC?"  Some people are very particular about comments in threads going outside the scope of the  question that was asked.  

🙄😂 Something tells me that even had the OP framed the question that way, I would have been reprimanded if I hadn't expressed the correct opinion.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

Years ago thrh were offering Canadiznz OBC at a 10% exchange rate vs over 35% at the bank.

I have clients that purchase it as a gift for someone's cruise.

There are people out there that want everything paid ahead of time. 

Some do not have a credit card.

Lots of different personal reasons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Why would anyone want to pay for OBC ahead of time?

If you use a Royal Caribbean cc, not only is it like an interest free refundable cash advance, but you also get double points that you can redeem for gifts and OBC on your cruise. Also, OBC is a good way to top off to the next level of points to allow the next redemption. Then you get on board, and at the end of your cruise you can withdraw what you don’t use as cash.

Yes you can also use the RC cc to simply run up your onboard account and earn points that way, but without an RC cruise scheduled in the future, there’s no guarantee I’ll use them. 

I’m aware it’s not for everyone. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

If you use a Royal Caribbean cc, not only is it like an interest free refundable cash advance, but you also get double points that you can redeem for gifts and OBC on your cruise. Also, OBC is a good way to top off to the next level of points to allow the next redemption. Then you get on board, and at the end of your cruise you can withdraw what you don’t use as cash.

Yes you can also use the RC cc to simply run up your onboard account and earn points that way, but without an RC cruise scheduled in the future, there’s no guarantee I’ll use them. 

Honestly this is a good point and I didn’t think of it, and I’m a RC cardholder lol. 

My statement just closed and I was like $60 away from a redeemable OBC through the credit card so I went to the store and bought a bunch of toilet paper and paper towels, shoulda just bought OBC lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doppelganger2621 said:

Honestly this is a good point and I didn’t think of it, and I’m a RC cardholder lol. 

My statement just closed and I was like $60 away from a redeemable OBC through the credit card so I went to the store and bought a bunch of toilet paper and paper towels, shoulda just bought OBC lol

Well those are very important items to have as well 🙂

49 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Ah, ok. I see how that could make sense in regards to maximizing points etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doppelganger2621 said:

I stopped using my RC CC about 15 years ago.  Only 1 point for most purchases and a hassle using them. I mainly use capital one and get 2 points and very easy to use the points.  And never have to worry about a certain number to use them.  

• Like 1