4* Mariner Check-In

KBC73

To recent cruisers, I have a question. Is there a dedicated line for 4* and above mariners?

There was pre covid, but on my boarding pass I have a scheduled check in time. My time is after 1:00 PM. I was usually on the ship before that.

I also use a shuttle from home to pier and would like to give them an approximate pick-up time. 

I am a 5-star Mariner but was not given a priority status when boarding the Zaandam on May 12.  Check-in has changed - big time.  I was given a check-in time of 2:00 but checked in with the noon group. (Lucky me) I was sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Canada, so I had to go through about 3 or 4 processing stations.  No more picture taking at the counter. I was met by someone for a Facial Recognition station to match my passport photo. I failed at first, until I took my glasses off.  My room key was NOT given to me at the counter but was waiting for me in the mailbox at my cabin.  Again, prepare for changes, and please be patient.

On our Dec and April cruises there were 4 & 5 Star and Neptune passenger separate checkin lines.  Sailed out of Fort Lauderdale and San Diego.  We also were allowed on the ship first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

On our recent departure from Seattle, our boarding went really quickly because we had completed the Verifly app and had that ready to be scanned.  The non-Verifly line was very long.  Our five stars didn't really make a difference.

Was there a second line to checkin after they checked your Verify?

We have previously posted our story about checking-in for the Prinsendam's Grand Med cruise (a few years ago).  The "laws" of check-in do not change :).  On that cruise there were only around 600 passengers who were checking-in at Port Everglades.  There was a priority line for suites and another priority line for 4-5* Mariners.  There was a third line for everyone else.  When we arrived at the port we were shuttled into the 4-5* Mariner line which was quite long and moving very slow.  I noticed that the non-priority line was empty (it turned out that about 80% of the passengers were 4-5 *).  So DW and I ducked under the rope and got in the "other" line and were immediately led to the check-in counter.  About a minute later we were walking towards the ship when we heard a lady, who was in the 4-5* line say to her partner, "I worked hard to get get in this line and I am not going to the regular line."  I suspect we were on the ship and at lunch by the time that lady was finally checked-in!

So now we have HAL (and most other lines) trying a system to stagger check-in times.  But the reality is that the system does not and cannot work.  Why?  Many folks cannot control when they go to the port.  Those that fly-in the day of a cruise either sit at the airport or go to the port (guess what they do?)  Those in nearby hotel need to check-out by noon and where do they go?  The port.  So, expecting folks to come to the port at 3:00 is just a ridiculous idea.  

My advice to those here who do not want to wait in lines at the Port is that you simply go on a cruise line that has smaller ships ).  

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Was there a second line to checkin after they checked your Verify?

There was.  And it just was everyone merging into one big cluster.  After we got through the cluster, I think there may have been a dedicated line for 4*, suites, etc., but I can't really remember, because the "cluster" part took so long to sort itself out.  

This is just what we experienced in Seattle.  I wanted to make the point that Verifly made things go a lot faster, so control the controllables, I guess.

We're 4-star. Our assignet boardingtime for the MS Rotterdam leaving Amsterdam was 1:20PM. We arrived at the terminal at 11:30 AM. Looked for the mariner check-in. No problems to get on the ship. At noon we were in the main dining room for the mariners welcome back lunch. 

Thanks to all for the replies. We will go around noon and see what happens. I understand the precautions due to covid, but I think one line for upper level mariners would be a good idea.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:20 AM, Hlitner said:

We have previously posted our story about checking-in for the Prinsendam's Grand Med cruise (a few years ago).  The "laws" of check-in do not change :).  On that cruise there were only around 600 passengers who were checking-in at Port Everglades.  There was a priority line for suites and another priority line for 4-5* Mariners.  There was a third line for everyone else.  When we arrived at the port we were shuttled into the 4-5* Mariner line which was quite long and moving very slow.  I noticed that the non-priority line was empty (it turned out that about 80% of the passengers were 4-5 *).  So DW and I ducked under the rope and got in the "other" line and were immediately led to the check-in counter.  About a minute later we were walking towards the ship when we heard a lady, who was in the 4-5* line say to her partner, "I worked hard to get get in this line and I am not going to the regular line."  I suspect we were on the ship and at lunch by the time that lady was finally checked-in!

So now we have HAL (and most other lines) trying a system to stagger check-in times.  But the reality is that the system does not and cannot work.  Why?  Many folks cannot control when they go to the port.  Those that fly-in the day of a cruise either sit at the airport or go to the port (guess what they do?)  Those in nearby hotel need to check-out by noon and where do they go?  The port.  So, expecting folks to come to the port at 3:00 is just a ridiculous idea.  

My advice to those here who do not want to wait in lines at the Port is that you simply go on a cruise line that has smaller ships ).  

Hank

There is a very simple solution to this. Do what the airlines do. This is your boarding group. If you wish to board earlier pay an upgrade fee. Make people who have later boarding times board at the assigned time. That will straighten out the long lines real quick. 

We were on the Zaandam May 12th sailing from Port Everglades. Our check in was 2:00, but the shuttle from our hotel said be ready for 11:30. No one questioned us.  There was a check in line for 4 & 5 * mariners. As long as you have all your documents( either printed or electronic) check in is a breeze.

Two weeks ago boarding the Eurodam in Seattle was a breeze. We had completed VeriFLY so walked right past that line. The luggage scan line was very short then it was facial recognition which worked fine. We were Group A (noon) and were directed to an area to sit. Suites, 4 & 5 star mariners boarded first then it was our turn. The boarding passes on Navigator are scanned as you board the ship. We were on board by about 11:45am but sadly they were not serving the Mariners lunch in the MDR. Luckily the Lido was not crowded since there was only around 1200 passengers. We had a great cruise except for cold, rainy weather in Juneau.