Fly in a day early but still use Princess transfer from airport to ship?

wildfan2k

Does anyone who flies in a day early for a Princess cruise ever stay at a hotel near the airport, then shuttle back to the airport the following day to use a Princess transfer to the ship?  Does Princess allow that?

• Like 1

It is allowed, but often times the logistics don't work out.  The primary reason to fly in early is to visit the city that you are leaving from, or visit some location nearby.  Odds are that where you want to be is not near the airport.  The effort to get back to the airport only to have to pay Princess to take you to the port is rarely going to make more sense than just taking a taxi or Uber to the port from wherever you are visiting. For example, if you fly in to Athens a day or two early to see the city, it would hardly make sense to make your way back to the Athens airport only to pay to get on a Princess bus to Piraeus. It would be much easier (and hours faster) to simply take a taxi to Piraeus from Athens.  I can't think of too many departure ports where backtracking makes sense.  Maybe Anchorage to get to Whittier.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

It is allowed, but often times the logistics don't work out.  The primary reason to fly in early is to visit the city that you are leaving from, or visit some location nearby.  Odds are that where you want to be is not near the airport.  The effort to get back to the airport only to have to pay Princess to take you to the port is rarely going to make more sense than just taking a taxi or Uber to the port from wherever you are visiting. For example, if you fly in to Athens a day or two early to see the city, it would hardly make sense to make your way back to the Athens airport only to pay to get on a Princess bus to Piraeus. It would be much easier (and hours faster) to simply take a taxi to Piraeus from Athens.  I can't think of too many departure ports where backtracking makes sense.  Maybe Anchorage to get to Whittier.   

We would be flying in a day early (to San Francisco) because we're coming from Minnesota in December and just want some cushion in case of snow delays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way easier to take private transportation from S.F. Airport to your hotel and from the hotel to the ship. Also I would select a hotel somewhere near Fisherman's Warf area and the pier. There is nothing really around the airport area to do or see. I would also recommend at least two days early as there is lots to see and do in S.F.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, wildfan2k said:

Does anyone who flies in a day early for a Princess cruise ever stay at a hotel near the airport, then shuttle back to the airport the following day to use a Princess transfer to the ship?  Does Princess allow that?

Yes we do this all the time. For b2b Alaska cruises in August we are taking Amtrak to Seattle, staying at an airport property and then taking the transfer to Canada Place. We would ordinarily train to Vancouver but those trains are not currently running. You do what you need to do. We also hate the Vancouver airport. This way once Princess has our bags and we are on the bus we can relax

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wildfan2k said:

Do it all the time.  Work out the logistics to fit your needs.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have done this at Heathrow.

• Like 3

It all depends on the port location.  If there is nothing to do near the actual pier or it is a late flight, I have spent the night at the airport.  If there is a lot to do near the port, like in San Francisco, Manhattan or Long Beach, or if I can get us a hotel that is walking distance the cruise port so I can do my fitness walk as I watch the ship pull in, I will do that.  In fact, San Francisco is probably the city where I would most likely stay nearby.

We would be flying in a day early (to San Francisco) because we're coming from Minnesota in December and just want some cushion in case of snow delays.

Going back to SFO to connect with a Princess Shuttle to get to the pier would cost you 2-3 hours of time.  To get from a downtown SF hotel to the pier would take anywhere from 1-15 minutes depending on where you stay.

• Like 2

If you can manage your luggage, I would recommend taking BART from the airport to Embarcadero station and staying at the Hyatt.  It's walking distance from BART to the hotel (less than a block). 

On Embarkation Day,  it's a quick cab ride to the pier. You can also take a pedi-cab or walk (a little over a mile) to Pier 27. 

• Like 1

Yes,we have used the Princess transfer from airport several times,we return to the airport from hotel shuttle and Princess reps check you in and places you on their pier shuttle bus,a very good service,well worth the price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R**T said:

Us too. Stayed at a hotel  terminal 4 at the airport. Took the  Underground for sightseeing then morning of the cruise went to terminal 3 and took Princess bus to port. SO easy ! Many times in the personalizer if you have purchased the transfer it will give instructions on where to go to get the transfer if you come in a few days early.They are used to that situation.

Edited by jinpasco
Misspelled word
  • Like 2

We plan to do this with our trip to Rome this fall. Since we have to test with in 2 days of cruise we want to do this in the states fly in spend the night and get on the cruise the next day. We have been to Rome in the past (we would have liked to have spent more time but that would not work this time) We are doing all with Princess air and spending the night at an airport hotel then will take the Princess transfer to port. I know there are less expensive ways but it works for us. I had to have my PVP make the transfer reservations as it would not allow it since I fly in a day early.

12 hours ago, wildfan2k said:

Yes... we did just that only a few weeks ago to board the Caribbean Princess.

Flew into SFO from Tucson and stayed at a La Quinta only six minutes away in Millbrae. Took the hotel's free shuttle from airport to hotel, then again back to SFO late the next morning to board the Princess transfer. The airport hotel was only $110 as opposed to the utterly ridiculous prices of hotels near the ship. 

Drop your bags before getting on the transfer, and they end up in your cabin.

Edited by teecee60

Funny you should ask this.   I did a lot of figuring out whether we should or shouldn't take a Princess transfer (a day early) to our hotel.

Here's what I found out in a nutshell.    They told me they only used a couple hotels in SF thus you were subject to their choices (which were expensive).    So, we are taking an Uber to our hotel from the airport.  We are staying at Columbus Motor Inn which is fairly close to the pier.   We will take a cab to the pier the next day.   I booked them directly and they don't charge your credit card and you can cancel up to 24 hrs in advance.   It's got good ratings and it's a lot cheaper than places like the Sheraton, Marriott, etc.    I suggest booking it while you look around at other options....prices go up quickly and they run out of rooms at a lot of the hotels.

The reason we are taking the Uber is:  You may have to wait around for them to fill a transfer or shuttle bus and the cost is about the same.   Added with the fact you are sitting on a bus with a bunch of people (covid is still here).     On the way back to the airport we signed up for the Princess transfer.   Our flight is kind of early and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get an Uber with 3,000 people getting off the ship at the relatively the same time.

17 hours ago, R**T said:

That is what we intended to do in 2020 for a cruise from Southampton, but the summer of 2020 obviously was not a time that cruises actually happened. 

Our TA said it would not be a problem coming in a day early and taking the transfer from the airport.

22 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

MY main reason to fly in early is to make sure I'm there before the ship leaves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

MY main reason to fly in early is to make sure I'm there before the ship leaves.

And if you are there say 24 hours or more before boarding the ship, what are you going to do for all that time at the airport?

14 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

And if you are there say 24 hours or more before boarding the ship, what are you going to do for all that time at the airport?

We don't spend any time at the airport. The times we fly (rare), we go to a hotel that has shuttle service from the airport and to the port. Last time we flew in to FLL we went in 3 days early to do some sight-seeing. Total fail. The hotel we booked was full and they moved us to a "nicer" hotel at the same price, but further away from the things we planned to do. Our room was frigid, the heat didn't work. Complained and 2 days later they moved us to a different room. While we were in the old room, the elevator died. We were on the 14th floor! Plus when it died we were in the lobby.😂 Started walking up. Got to 8 and found someone who showed us where the staff elevator was...it worked. We were comped for almost the whole bill. 

Then the weather failed us. It was cold & raining the whole time we were there.🤷‍♀️

22 hours ago, partybarbie said:

If you can manage your luggage, I would recommend taking BART from the airport to Embarcadero station and staying at the Hyatt.  It's walking distance from BART to the hotel (less than a block). 

On Embarkation Day,  it's a quick cab ride to the pier. You can also take a pedi-cab or walk (a little over a mile) to Pier 27. 

Spot on.  OP, do this!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We don't spend any time at the airport. The times we fly (rare), we go to a hotel that has shuttle service from the airport and to the port. Last time we flew in to FLL we went in 3 days early to do some sight-seeing. Total fail. The hotel we booked was full and they moved us to a "nicer" hotel at the same price, but further away from the things we planned to do. Our room was frigid, the heat didn't work. Complained and 2 days later they moved us to a different room. While we were in the old room, the elevator died. We were on the 14th floor! Plus when it died we were in the lobby.😂 Started walking up. Got to 8 and found someone who showed us where the staff elevator was...it worked. We were comped for almost the whole bill. 

Then the weather failed us. It was cold & raining the whole time we were there.🤷‍♀️

Yikes... might as well have stayed at the airport 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Sounds like an old Albert King blues song---"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2