Tea/Coffee making on Enchanted out of Southampton

Cruise Puss

18 minutes ago, Cruise Puss said:

Hi all,

Can anyone either just off Enchanted, or currently on board, confirm whether or not there are tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins or not?

Many thanks. ☺️

CP

Shouldn't be a problem on round trips out of Southampton.

We did a round trip out of Southampton on the Regal last October. Kettles were provided in the cabins. We did a Transatlantic from Southampton on the Regal last November and a Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton this April. Kettles were provided on request grudgingly.

Edited by billco

20 minutes ago, billco said:

We did a round trip out of Southampton on the Regal last October. Kettles were provided in the cabins. We did a Transatlantic from Southampton on the Regal last November and a Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton this April. Kettles were provided on request grudgingly.

Many thanks.

We were on Regal in September last year and they were provided, but I wasn't absolutely sure they'd continue with it.

Thanks for confirming. ☺️

If they are provided, I've got to hand it to Princess for being in tune with the local market!  I was on the Enchanted out of Fort Lauderdale in January and there was nothing in the cabins.  But bear in mind you can use Dine My Way via the TV remote control or the Medallion App and a steward will magically appear with tea or specialty coffee!  On average, that took 15-30 minutes for us - but our cruise was only about 50% full.

4 hours ago, billco said:

Not that I care one way or the other but I can't help wondering what the reasoning is. 🥺

53 minutes ago, TiggerTony2 said:

Currently on the Enchanted (set off from Southampton an hour ago). Tea/coffee making facilities are available in the stateroom.

Fantastic. Many thanks for this. ☺️👍

• Like 1

I think kettles aren't as popular in the US because they take longer to boil due to the lower voltage ... (and also they don't drink a lot of tea there.. unlike us Brits)🙂

You rarely see one in American movies or TV.

Happy now that some American cruise lines put kettles in the cabins when based in Southampton.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TiggerTony2 said:

Currently on the Enchanted (set off from Southampton an hour ago). Tea/coffee making facilities are available in the stateroom.

I’m on it too, no kettle in our room ☹️

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Has anyone ever asked for a kettle on sailings departing elsewhere than the UK?

We did on our recent Transatlantic cruise on the Enchanted Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. At first, our steward said he didn't think he could provide one, but he would check. That afternoon, there it was. Apparently, they keep a few in storage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, uspearls said:

We should be worried about bigger issues here in the U.S.! 

If you meant a bigger issue than the risk someone starting a fire at sea, I can assure you from experience that in that moment of smelling smoke, hearing the ship's alarms and looking out at the landless sea, the problems of the world pale to insignificance.

5 hours ago, sammybonny said:

I think kettles aren't as popular in the US because they take longer to boil due to the lower voltage ... (and also they don't drink a lot of tea there.. unlike us Brits)🙂

It does take longer, but that is not the reason. No problem finding kettles in a store, so there is a market for them. But generally, Americans prefer coffee and most prefer Arabica bean brewed over the sharper tasting Robusta bean instant, so a kettle taking up counter space doesn't work for many of us. 

If you said Americans don't know good tea or good technique to make it right, I'd be one of those.

We have taken our own kettle on each of our cruises. Read the fine print  "Thermostaically controlled kettles are allowed".  It is the power strips that we have had problems with and understand. We no longer take them,

Every cruise we have been that has left from Southampton there has been a kettle in the room. Oh and that's not just Princess,  Royal Caribbean and P&O do to. As said we brits like our tea, but I seem to remember someone saying princess and rccl have them in their cabins because P&O do and they have the biggest UK market. I do remember a few years back hearing that after the sapphires dry Dock where they replaced the mattresses and tvs, they didn't put the kettles back. They got so many complaints that they had to bring them out of storage. We were on the 2nd cruise after this and we had them when we got on board. Now I'm expecting a kettle and tea and coffee set up when we get on the enchanted in July, but I'm not sure we will use it much. I say this as we sailed twice last year on regal and sky with princess plus drinks. We used the room. Kettle half as much as we usually would as it was so easy to order off the medallion a special coffee or a hot chocolate to the room. As we are not heading for the med but Iceland and Norway we may drink more hot drinks so may end up doing the same again. Again I'll be surprised if there isn't one waiting for us when we sail next month. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 8:56 PM, minikiss said:

Every cruise we have been that has left from Southampton there has been a kettle in the room. Oh and that's not just Princess,  Royal Caribbean and P&O do to. As said we brits like our tea, but I seem to remember someone saying princess and rccl have them in their cabins because P&O do and they have the biggest UK market. I do remember a few years back hearing that after the sapphires dry Dock where they replaced the mattresses and tvs, they didn't put the kettles back. They got so many complaints that they had to bring them out of storage. We were on the 2nd cruise after this and we had them when we got on board. Now I'm expecting a kettle and tea and coffee set up when we get on the enchanted in July, but I'm not sure we will use it much. I say this as we sailed twice last year on regal and sky with princess plus drinks. We used the room. Kettle half as much as we usually would as it was so easy to order off the medallion a special coffee or a hot chocolate to the room. As we are not heading for the med but Iceland and Norway we may drink more hot drinks so may end up doing the same again. Again I'll be surprised if there isn't one waiting for us when we sail next month. 

P&O have always had tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin, at least they have for the last 20 years!  Cunard also have them.

As you say, other international cruise lines sailing out of England tend to put them in as they know us Brits like a cuppa, whether it's tea or instant coffee.  Personally I don't use it, but my Husband does and my Mother-in-Law cannot do anything without her cup of tea first thing in the morning.

The other problem is that my Mother-in-Law is not at all technological, she doesn't have a smart phone for a start, so she will not be able to order anything from the TV or mobile. The only thing that I know she will love is the fact the Medallion unlocks her cabin door for her.  This will be an improvement on getting to the cabin door and her routing around in her handbag to try and find it - this can easily take 5 mins or so!

I, for one, am hugely looking forward to getting some hot sunshine and warm nights!  😊

Cheers.

CP

Edited by Cruise Puss

10 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

P&O have always had tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin, at least they have for the last 20 years!  Cunard also have them.

As you say, other international cruise lines sailing out of England tend to put them in as they know us Brits like a cuppa, whether it's tea or instant coffee.  Personally I don't use it, but my Husband does and my Mother-in-Law cannot do anything without her cup of tea first thing in the morning.

The other problem is that my Mother-in-Law is not at all technological, she doesn't have a smart phone for a start, so she will not be able to order anything from the TV or mobile. The only thing that I know she will love is the fact the Medallion unlocks her cabin door for her.  This will be an improvement on getting to the cabin door and her routing around in her handbag to try and find it - this can easily take 5 mins or so!

I, for one, am hugely looking forward to getting some hot sunshine and warm nights!  😊

Cheers.

CP

No kettle in our Enchanted cabin on arrival but we just asked and all was provided. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

No kettle in our Enchanted cabin on arrival but we just asked and all was provided. 

I wonder if they would provide one for the Caribbean cruises in the fall if someone insisted?

Kettle misuse is not just limited to UK hotels stayed in a villa in Florida some years back and there was rice stuck in the bottom of the kettle.  No self respecting Brit cooks rice in a kettle. 

• Haha 4