Face masks are back on North and Southbound Alaska

Jeter02

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm perfectly A-Okay with following protocols and guidelines and for any of those who would like to cancel due to personal preference and comfort levels the more the merrier. I absolutely love sailing at a low capacity percentage it is such a dream. I keep saying to myself when that time comes for the number to rise it will take time to get used to those full capacity at 100%. I think for my spring break Caribbean sailing in March that was like 70% and you definitely felt that extra 20% increase

We cruised on April on the Majestic in April at 60% capacity. Wonderful service. We masked in crowded areas like elevators and walking into bars and restaurants. About 40% did the same. Felt very safe. Pretty much like we live our lives here in Oregon

• Like 1

Doing the turn around day here in Whittier. Wife and I have been wearing our masks the first week. I’d like to thank the people who when entering an elevator we were just n for putting on their mask. Outside no need, but too close can be trouble. As the week went, we saw more and more heads popping out from the Covid quarantine deck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Some people will not cruise if masking is required. Masking requirements pretty much determined by the number of cases on board (which only the cruise lines know the real number.  If case counts are too high, then you have an entirely different group that will not cruise.  So in either case the cruise lines are going to have a difficult time of it.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  We always had one or two cruises booked at all times and I am sure we aren't the only ones.  Now with the protocols nothing.  We were lucky to be moving when this all started and just happened to not have anything booked so didn't have credits to use up.  Once people who had credits have taken their cruises will they cruise again with the protocols?  Will the people who are not cruising because of the protocols come back or will they have found other vacations they like just as well?  The ships at some point need to have repeat customers and full ships.

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I booked cruises and won't cruise with any mask mandates, even for free. They know many won't sail with masks and I'm sure they'd issue a refund if you booked when masks weren't required and they made a huge change to reinstate them. 

Um, no way. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm perfectly A-Okay with following protocols and guidelines and for any of those who would like to cancel due to personal preference and comfort levels the more the merrier. I absolutely love sailing at a low capacity percentage it is such a dream. I keep saying to myself when that time comes for the number to rise it will take time to get used to those full capacity at 100%. I think for my spring break Caribbean sailing in March that was like 70% and you definitely felt that extra 20% increase

We will too!  Masking is such a small thing to us.  We just want to be on the sea!  We’ve had 6 cruises this year.

The website clearly states that masking is recommended and that it may change in some venues and will be advised and signage on the ship.  This is not a surprise.  Many ships and cruise lines have had to mandate masking to slow down the spread.  

This is just the reality of cruising right now.  Protocols are constantly changing.  Just watch the health protocols of the cruiselines.  Last update was yesterday in Princess.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

This is the letter from a passenger on The Grand  

(snip)

Quote from the letter:  We've provided surgical masks for your convenience in your stateroom.

Thanks for sharing.  I find it interesting that Princess' complimentary mask policy has bounced around some in the months since the restart.  Here's a list of all the cruises I've been on since last September, their mask policies, and the masks they provided:

September 2021, Celebrity Summit, mask not required, cloth masks provided

November 2021, Regal Princess, mask required in most indoor locations, no masks provided

February 2022, Celebrity Summit, mask not required, cloth masks provided

March 2022, Mariner of the Seas, mask not required, surgical masks provided

April 2022, Majestic Princess, mask not required, KN95 masks provided

June 2022 (in two weeks), Carnival Panorama, I don't expect a mask requirement, masks provided TBD

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We will too!  Masking is such a small thing to us.  We just want to be on the sea!  We’ve had 6 cruises this year.

The website clearly states that masking is recommended and that it may change in some venues and will be advised and signage on the ship.  This is not a surprise.  Many ships and cruise lines have had to mandate masking to slow down the spread.  

This is just the reality of cruising right now.  Protocols are constantly changing.  Just watch the health protocols of the cruiselines.  Last update was yesterday in Princess.

On the north and south bound Vancouver /Whittier the are now required indoors except when eating and drinking. 

• Like 2

Clearly, the majority of posters complaining about masks have never dealt with the trip interruptions from being sick/testing positive. Or choose to not self-report. By all means, stay home. You are not the majority view that you think you are. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Quote from the letter:  We've provided surgical masks for your convenience in your stateroom.

Thanks for sharing.  I find it interesting that Princess' complimentary mask policy has bounced around some in the months since the restart.  Here's a list of all the cruises I've been on since last September, their mask policies, and the masks they provided:

September 2021, Celebrity Summit, mask not required, cloth masks provided

November 2021, Regal Princess, mask required in most indoor locations, no masks provided

February 2022, Celebrity Summit, mask not required, cloth masks provided

March 2022, Mariner of the Seas, mask not required, surgical masks provided

April 2022, Majestic Princess, mask not required, KN95 masks provided

June 2022 (in two weeks), Carnival Panorama, I don't expect a mask requirement, masks provided TBD

We got Kn95 today in Whittier. Were you HPD? We've been wearing our masks the past week and actually feel better that it will be manditory inside. There was ALOT of luggage on da Covid bus this am. No thx. Getting better tan than I do at home. This cruise is awesome, never seen wx this good. I don't want to be confined to my room.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Um, no way. 

I got refunds for four cruises when they went to masking, so yes way. Granted, I never took cruise credits or company money so that may be an issue for those that have.  I rebooked three cruises after they went back to mask optional and have taken one. I'd certainly cancel the other two if masks were required and I would expect to be refunded again, just like last time.   

• Like 1

We returned from our Cruise Land Tour on May 24th.  My partner was feeling bad the night before we flew home from Fairbanks.  She pretty much wore a mask the whole time and has two boosters.  She tested positive the day after we got home and now is in the hospital.  People were coughing on the busses and no one was making people use sanitizer.  I am very disappointed that Princess did not enforce the rules, and even more disappointed that people did not obey the rules.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, Keksie said:

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  We always had one or two cruises booked at all times and I am sure we aren't the only ones.  Now with the protocols nothing.  We were lucky to be moving when this all started and just happened to not have anything booked so didn't have credits to use up.  Once people who had credits have taken their cruises will they cruise again with the protocols?  Will the people who are not cruising because of the protocols come back or will they have found other vacations they like just as well?  The ships at some point need to have repeat customers and full ships.

We usually have cruises booked, was planning on 100 days cruising during 2020.  We only have two booked at this time, Not because over concern over the protocols, We did four cruises when masking as required, and one so far since masking has not been mandatory. So that does not bother us if masking is required for a specific cruise.

We are not doing many cruises in advance due to uncertainty if some of the cruises we are interested in are actually going to occur or not.  We are instead booking 30 days out when schedules seem to be more certain.

Another impact is the current problems that airlines and airports are having.

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You'll never cruise again. It's not going away.

Remember the Spanish flu? Flu is still here and flourishing inspite of vaccines.

I was saying that to the person I quoted. We just did our first cruise since the restart.

Edited by AE_Collector

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I got refunds for four cruises when they went to masking, so yes way. Granted, I never took cruise credits or company money so that may be an issue for those that have.  I rebooked three cruises after they went back to mask optional and have taken one. I'd certainly cancel the other two if masks were required and I would expect to be refunded again, just like last time.   

You had four cruises booked, changed your mind because of mask mandates and got cash refunds? Not non-refundable FCCs…those aren’t cash refunds. They’re simply holding on to your money with those. No, you implied cash refunds. Was this after final payment? I mean, most cruises are refundable before final payment. But I’m talking about when mandates change two weeks before you leave, and you don’t want FCCs. Even with insurance, they’ve got your money.

• Like 1

Just now, PescadoAmarillo said:

You had four cruises booked, changed your mind because of mask mandates and got cash refunds? Not non-refundable FCCs…those aren’t cash refunds. They’re simply holding on to your money with those. No, you implied cash refunds. Was this after final payment? I mean, most cruises are refundable before final payment. But I’m talking about when mandates change two weeks before you leave, and you don’t want FCCs. Even with insurance, they’ve got your money.

Correct. I have never taken a cruise credit of any kind and won't. 

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Correct. I have never taken a cruise credit of any kind and won't. 

Well give your TA a gold star, because you are the one and only person I’ve ever heard of that cancelled after final payment and got a full refund simply because of a change in mask mandates. I’m sure many others on here will be most interested in exactly how that happened. 

ETA:  but I totally agree with you about FCCs. Not interested, not interested, not interested. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Well give your TA a gold star, because you are the one and only person I’ve ever heard of that cancelled after final payment and got a full refund simply because of a change in mask mandates. I’m sure many others on here will be most interested in exactly how that happened. 

ETA:  but I totally agree with you about FCCs. Not interested, not interested, not interested. 

Thanks, I'll pat myself on the back since I'm my own TA..lol. I also tried to warn others on the FCC but many were blinded by "free stuff" to recognize the downsides of converting your cash into company scrip. 

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
26 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Keep in mind that terms and condition have changed for some of the cruise lines.  It really depends on the terms and conditions when you booked and if they still allow cancellation over a change in protocols.  Have not seen if Princess still allows it or not.  Their terms and conditions clearly do say that safety protocols may change without warning.  So if one only want to travel under certain protocols they need to make sure that they can cancel for any reason if the protocols do change.

Back on topic. The cruise industry would certainly like to return to 110% capacity. But, they don't have a fairy god mother with a magic wand. So, I would respectfully suggest that pax must take the mask mandate seriously. 😷

The infection situation onboard must be serious if the ships require masks again. 🙄

IMHO, pax must take into account the ebb and flow of a pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised if my ship suddenly announced a change in masking/testing requirements. Go with the flow. Be safe and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You'll never cruise again. It's not going away.

Remember the Spanish flu? Flu is still here and flourishing inspite of vaccines.

It did take about 3 years after the onset of the 1918 flu outbreak before the mortality rate returned to more normal levels.  While flu still exists the normal annual mortality rate is lower than even the current Covid rate in the US annualized.  Fortunately with the flu there are relatively few long term impacts once infection is over.  Not so much with Covid  where data shows even in mild cases that there are increases in health impacts after the infection (not long Covid) but over 50% increases in the rate of cardiac events, strokes, type II diabetes, etc in those that have been infected vs those that have not.  So still good reasons to try and avoid infection, even while cruisng, doing other travel, etc.

2 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Back on topic. The cruise industry would certainly like to return to 110% capacity. But, they don't have a fairy god mother with a magic wand. So, I would respectfully suggest that pax must take the mask mandate seriously. 😷

The infection situation onboard must be serious if the ships require masks again. 🙄

IMHO, pax must take into account the ebb and flow of a pandemic. I wouldn't be surprised if my ship suddenly announced a change in masking/testing requirements. Go with the flow. Be safe and enjoy your cruise!

Nah, if we need to be flexible then the cruise lines need to be flexible too. They have hard lines and I have hard lines, I'm not interested in cruising with a mask and if worse came to worse, I'd initiate a charge-back and be done with that line if they tried to force my hand. One way open ended conditions/contracts are generally unenforceable, despite what many believe. Obviously, I'm talking about before embarkation day, if you're mid cruise, you are a bit stuck.    

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lesnpatty said:

We returned from our Cruise Land Tour on May 24th.  My partner was feeling bad the night before we flew home from Fairbanks.  She pretty much wore a mask the whole time and has two boosters.  She tested positive the day after we got home and now is in the hospital.  People were coughing on the busses and no one was making people use sanitizer.  I am very disappointed that Princess did not enforce the rules, and even more disappointed that people did not obey the rules.

Oh no...sorry to hear that your partner had to go to the hospital.  Hope she will make a quick recovery.  I'm glad that you were able to make it home.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Oh no...sorry to hear that your partner had to go to the hospital.  Hope she will make a quick recovery.  I'm glad that you were able to make it home.

Thank you.