Face masks are back on North and Southbound Alaska

Jeter02

53 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Thanks, I'll pat myself on the back since I'm my own TA..lol. I also tried to warn others on the FCC but many were blinded by "free stuff" to recognize the downsides of converting your cash into company scrip. 

And these cash refunds were with Princess?  How recent?

Guest ldtr
47 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Nah, if we need to be flexible then the cruise lines need to be flexible too. They have hard lines and I have hard lines, I'm not interested in cruising with a mask and if worse came to worse, I'd initiate a charge-back and be done with that line if they tried to force my hand. One way open ended conditions/contracts are generally unenforceable, despite what many believe. Obviously, I'm talking about before embarkation day, if you're mid cruise, you are a bit stuck.    

You could initiate a charge back but it is unlikely you would win if the cruise line chose to fight it and the terms and conditions in the cruise contract were on their side.  That is why it is a cruise contract that you have to agree with.

Edited by ldtr

3 hours ago, Yehootu said:

We got Kn95 today in Whittier. Were you HPD? We've been wearing our masks the past week and actually feel better that it will be manditory inside. There was ALOT of luggage on da Covid bus this am. No thx. Getting better tan than I do at home. This cruise is awesome, never seen wx this good. I don't want to be confined to my room.

Thanks for sharing how things are. I'm glad you're enjoying the cruise. No, I never served in anyone's police department (I assume that's what you meant). 

7 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Doing the turn around day here in Whittier. Wife and I have been wearing our masks the first week. I’d like to thank the people who when entering an elevator we were just n for putting on their mask. Outside no need, but too close can be trouble. As the week went, we saw more and more heads popping out from the Covid quarantine deck.

Just wondering if your masking is because it is so common place in Hawaii Nei.  Malama Pono

8 hours ago, lesnpatty said:

We returned from our Cruise Land Tour on May 24th.  My partner was feeling bad the night before we flew home from Fairbanks.  She pretty much wore a mask the whole time and has two boosters.  She tested positive the day after we got home and now is in the hospital.  People were coughing on the busses and no one was making people use sanitizer.  I am very disappointed that Princess did not enforce the rules, and even more disappointed that people did not obey the rules.

So sorry to hear she’s in the hospital.  Some do get sick from this covid.  It’s so selfish not to protect others in that bus or in crowded places.  
Wishing her a speedy recovery.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I got refunds for four cruises when they went to masking, so yes way. Granted, I never took cruise credits or company money so that may be an issue for those that have.  I rebooked three cruises after they went back to mask optional and have taken one. I'd certainly cancel the other two if masks were required and I would expect to be refunded again, just like last time.   

Were your cruises after final payment date when you got these refunds?

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just wondering if your masking is because it is so common place in Hawaii Nei.  Malama Pono

Hawaii is supposed to peak in mid June. In March and April it seemed back to normal then spring break happened.

If conditions are such that masks will be required on our Alaska cruise out of Seattle in July, we will wear our masks without complaint.  We probably will anyway.  We just got off the Caribbean Princess yesterday and wore our masks the whole time (except when eating, sip and cover drinking, or in our cabin).  It really wasn't that big of a deal to us.  Several crew members actually thanked us for wearing our masks, we were among the very few who did.  Masks weren't required so folks were free to choose.  And despite the documents stating that surgical masks would be provided, 2 KN95 masks were in the cabin upon disembarkation and more were provided on request.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Well give your TA a gold star, because you are the one and only person I’ve ever heard of that cancelled after final payment and got a full refund simply because of a change in mask mandates. I’m sure many others on here will be most interested in exactly how that happened. 

ETA:  but I totally agree with you about FCCs. Not interested, not interested, not interested. 

There was a short time when they did refund people. It was weird as it was over a holiday weekend when they were allowing refunds. I remember speaking to my TA about it.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lesnpatty said:

We returned from our Cruise Land Tour on May 24th.  My partner was feeling bad the night before we flew home from Fairbanks.  She pretty much wore a mask the whole time and has two boosters.  She tested positive the day after we got home and now is in the hospital.  People were coughing on the busses and no one was making people use sanitizer.  I am very disappointed that Princess did not enforce the rules, and even more disappointed that people did not obey the rules.

In May I do not believe masks were mandatory just recommended. That was the case on our Majestic cruise LA to Vancouver 

14 hours ago, lesnpatty said:

Hoping she feels better soon. So sorry!

• Like 1

Hi,

We will be on our first Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess Aug 6th, Seattle to Seattle.

In Skagway we will be taking an outside vendor tour called Klondike Yukon Bus tour that goes into Canada.

Our last port before returning to Seattle is Victoria, Canada.

Do we need to take a Covid test before disembarkation since we visited Canada?

Is this cruise currently subject to masking? (which is fine if it is)

Just confused because I do not see any new Health updates in my Cruise Manager on this.

Thanks!

On our April /May cruise during the recommended phase we wore masks walking around the ship indoors, in elevators etc.   But took them off while seated at bars, restaurants and slot machines. This is much how we live our lives at home now so don’t feel that this is going to be a big deal 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

We will be on our first Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess Aug 6th, Seattle to Seattle.

In Skagway we will be taking an outside vendor tour called Klondike Yukon Bus tour that goes into Canada.

Our last port before returning to Seattle is Victoria, Canada.

Is this cruise currently subject to masking? (which is fine if it is)

Just confused because I do not see any new Health updates in my Cruise Manager on this.

Thanks!

The mandatory masking as of right now according to princesses Health protocol section of their website is strictly for cruises that are embarking and disembarking from Whittier to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whittier

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

The mandatory masking as of right now according to princesses Health protocol section of their website is strictly for cruises that are embarking and disembarking from Whittier to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whittier

Oh okay, Thanks so much!

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

In May I do not believe masks were mandatory just recommended. That was the case on our Majestic cruise LA to Vancouver 

That’s why we don’t take ship excursions, now, since the mask mandate was dropped.  

What I don’t understand….

If unvaccinated can only take a PCL excursion, why wouldn’t they require masks on that bus?  

If they are transporting covid positive guests to a hotel, like recently in Whittier,

AK, why wouldn’t they enforce the mask policy?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It gives me more peace of mind having the masks REQUIRED. Thank-you Princess. Hoping Princess enforces the new mask policy.  I wish the excursion buses would also require masks. I didn't understand either why they also wouldn't require masks on the excursion bus. Then I remembered reading that excursions are run by other companies, even if booked by Princess. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, memoak said:

There are places masks should be required, and tour busses are one of them.  Having busses of people doing the Land tour pre cruise (not tested) and post cruise (tested) I think caused a spike in cases. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, llarsen said:

Just did that bus tour in Skagway on May 31. Currently the Bus and Rail Tours are NOT going into Canada. Canada is making any bus/train that enters Canada to go through customs. The tours don't have the time for that, so turn around at the border.

Covid test for USA residents is only when flying into USA from an international destination. The only testing requirement (currently) for those entering by ship is at Embarkation, and not at Debarkation..

Edited by richmke

Many may not be aware of the "domino" effect of having Covid on ships right now. I can't speak for Whittier, but can tell you exactly about this in Vancouver. Let's say 50 pax test positive for Covid (a low number that many here would argue is irrelevant if you look at it as a % - true, but...). These 50 passengers must be disembarked separately, must have a quarantine plan, must have transportation, must have hotel rooms. Then their travelling party (remember, not everyone sails with only one other person - many are family groups that wish to stay together) needs to be taken care of. The tourism industry (and especially the cruise industry) shut down in Vancouver for 2 years and it is nowhere near close to being back to normal operating procedure just yet - hotel rooms are in short supply as they are unable to operate at 100% capacity due to lack of staff, transportation, such as coaches, are also very much depleted as staff that were laid off 2 years ago have moved on to other jobs. Behind the scenes, land staff are working non-stop to get all the plans in place for passengers to disembark the ship while being Covid positive and have these plans satisfy the Canadian Government/CBSA. The longer this takes, the longer it is until the ship gets cleared for new passengers to embark. Once Covid guests are disembarked, there is an intense deep clean, that also holds up anyone getting on the ship. Then you have folks, such as myself, that work at the port and are potentially exposed constantly to any of the passengers that may have decided to just not report being sick/positive or who may be carrying it but just not testing positive yet. If enough of us get Covid, there will be no staff at the port getting you on and off the ships....it really is a domino effect and I applaud any and all efforts that are made to at least TRY to keep Covid off the ships.

I guess my point is, if you are one of the people who are against masking, testing, Covid protocols, etc. that is your right, BUT please don't then complain and throw a tantrum because your are waiting 3 hours to board your ship....because it is very likely that part of the reason for this is Covid on the cruise before yours. And we rinse and repeat.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

9 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Many may not be aware of the "domino" effect of having Covid on ships right now. I can't speak for Whittier, but can tell you exactly about this in Vancouver. Let's say 50 pax test positive for Covid (a low number that many here would argue is irrelevant if you look at it as a % - true, but...). These 50 passengers must be disembarked separately, must have a quarantine plan, must have transportation, must have hotel rooms. Then their travelling party (remember, not everyone sails with only one other person - many are family groups that wish to stay together) needs to be taken care of. The tourism industry (and especially the cruise industry) shut down in Vancouver for 2 years and it is nowhere near close to being back to normal operating procedure just yet - hotel rooms are in short supply as they are unable to operate at 100% capacity due to lack of staff, transportation, such as coaches, are also very much depleted as staff that were laid off 2 years ago have moved on to other jobs. Behind the scenes, land staff are working non-stop to get all the plans in place for passengers to disembark the ship while being Covid positive and have these plans satisfy the Canadian Government/CBSA. The longer this takes, the longer it is until the ship gets cleared for new passengers to embark. Once Covid guests are disembarked, there is an intense deep clean, that also holds up anyone getting on the ship. Then you have folks, such as myself, that work at the port and are potentially exposed constantly to any of the passengers that may have decided to just not report being sick/positive or who may be carrying it but just not testing positive yet. If enough of us get Covid, there will be no staff at the port getting you on and off the ships....it really is a domino effect and I applaud any and all efforts that are made to at least TRY to keep Covid off the ships.

I guess my point is, if you are one of the people who are against masking, testing, Covid protocols, etc. that is your right, BUT please don't then complain and throw a tantrum because your are waiting 3 hours to board your ship....because it is very likely that part of the reason for this is Covid on the cruise before yours. And we rinse and repeat.  

Please know, that you are appreciated. Thank you for all you do!!! 

• Like 3

On 6/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Nah, if we need to be flexible then the cruise lines need to be flexible too. They have hard lines and I have hard lines, I'm not interested in cruising with a mask and if worse came to worse, I'd initiate a charge-back and be done with that line if they tried to force my hand. One way open ended conditions/contracts are generally unenforceable, despite what many believe. Obviously, I'm talking about before embarkation day, if you're mid cruise, you are a bit stuck.    

No need for any of this, Princess vacation protection allows you to cancel up to a day or so before you board. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 8:18 AM, ehogan said:

Not surprised in the least at the masking order. On our northbound portion of the Grand to Alaska on May 11 masking was perhaps at 60% in all venues on the ship.  On the southbound May 18 trip on the Grand mask wearing was perhaps at 2%.  By the end of the May 18 cruise coughing and sneezing was everywhere.  Venues such as the Explorer lounge were often standing room only, social distancing and surface cleaning (except for the Horizon) did not exist, elevators were often at capacity. There was a delay at disembarkation and everyone had been funnelled into hallways and lounges in close proximity.  

We did have a change of 800 passengers in Whittier May 18, many of them had come from the Denali portion, so perhaps Covid had been incubating with that group?

That cruise sounds just like the cruise we took April 4, 15 days Hawaii R/T from LA. on the Grand.   Very little masking, events in Explorer’s Lounge standing room only & dance floor was over packed & the cruise staff were pulling people down to the already crowded dance floor.  They were body to body dancing & singing, NO MASKING.   I was shocked.  It was like a teenager rager.  Staff wanted you to forget all about Covid.  At 

the Easter service they had in Explorer’s lounge, their wasn’t anyone not coughing, sneezing & hacking, which was the day before disembarkation.  After taking every precaution I was positive the day we disembarked.  My lungs are still not right, Dr said husband & I both have the long Covid.  We both still feel like crap, but while we were positive that 1st week we had very light symptoms.  Go figure!
We don’t regret going on the cruise. We loved it, but we loved the 10 day cruise we took in November where masks were mandatory & the Grand had only less than 600 passengers onboard, where we didn’t even get a cold. No coughing, sneezing, & hacking @ the end of that cruise.