Masks now June 22

19 minutes ago, 80sGal said:

Completely voluntary.  Just back from 8 days on the Horizon.   Saw masks occasionally, few and far between, mostly among the older guests.   

Thank you. We are cruising the 27th and are very happy to hear that. We are in our middle 70s and will NOT wear them.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Just keep in mind the Captain can always decide to mandate them if numbers spike.

also keep in mind local country requirements too. Some places do require mask to be worn when on buses, taxis and indoors

• Like 3

While on Glory last month we needed them to get off on one of the islands.  I think it was Jamaica.  Once there we didn't need them, but anytime getting on or off the ship we had them with us, just in case.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tw67 said:

While on Glory last month we needed them to get off on one of the islands.  I think it was Jamaica.  Once there we didn't need them, but anytime getting on or off the ship we had them with us, just in case.  

Two weeks ago we docked in Freeport. Needed the masks to go through the welcome building. Then we took them off. Same when returning to the ship. Never asked to put them on anywhere else.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 12:49 PM, tw67 said:

Might be a good place to wear them.  We are pretty sure this is where we picked up Covid on our cruise in March.  Such a densely populated area and so crowded everywhere we went.  Even though we did a ship excursion to remain in a "bubble tour" as they referred to it, once off the bus, exposure was pretty high everywhere we went.  

On 6/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Two weeks ago we docked in Freeport. Needed the masks to go through the welcome building. Then we took them off. Same when returning to the ship. Never asked to put them on anywhere else.

Gotta ask.......if you were just on a cruise 2 weeks ago, why are you asking about mask mandates?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Guest BasicSailor
On 6/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Thank you. We are cruising the 27th and are very happy to hear that. We are in our middle 70s and will NOT wear them.

8 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

Gotta ask.......if you were just on a cruise 2 weeks ago, why are you asking about mask mandates?

The OP is cruising on the 27th. More than likely a concern because covid is spreading heavily on cruise ships at the present. Carnival rules can change daily with concerns of covid.

We take the at home free test before going to Walgreens for the test. This way we have some assurance we will pass. As for covid19 spreading fast on the cruise ships. I personally have not heard that anywhere other then on CC.

10 minutes ago, Brkintx said:

I've been paying a ton of attention also - trying to see any trend information that backs up what I read here on CC.  And not because I want to argue about it, but because I want to make informed decisions.

Unfortunately, the only places I seem to be able to find talking about an increase in cases on cruise ships is CC and those who quote it as 'news' - and believe me, I'm not arguing the point, I'm really seeking the raw info that drives such assertions.

I have no problem whatsoever balancing risk and reward, but in order to do that... "Johnny Five Need Input" so to speak... 

I think all you will find is anecdotal evidence from groups from ships that stay in communication after the cruise.  Even I am tired of arguing the point.  The bottom line is that right now, although strongly recommended, very few people are wearing masks, thus rendering them pretty much useless (if you think they were ever useful).  The CDC is reporting that the case counts are rising, and there is news of a new Omicron variant.  I have read stories of 1 RCCL Capitan reinstating mask rules, but I was not there.  According to the news I like to watch, It's just gone 8 o'clock and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode.

5 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

People are getting folks worked up so it's understandable. I saw Don's fam vacay video on Youtube today about masks and it makes it seem like masks are back everywhere. I saw a few other posts in forums and other Youtube vids that are conflating limited routes with a general return to masking (which isn't the case). I just hope if it does come back, the lines do the right thing and offer folks refunds who booked understanding that masks wouldn't be required. More ill will won't serve the industry well. 

• Like 1

I think the ticket contract is clear that masks may be required, along with other measures. One example:

(c) Guest acknowledges that Carnival’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) completion of an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any health or travel-related questions as determined by Carnival in its sole discretion based on advice from cognizant government or health authorities or medical experts for each Guest prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Guest followed by a period of isolation until test results are available; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events on board and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of Guest to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Guest (except for children under the age of 2 years) of face masks in most locations outside of the Guest’s stateroom while on board, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory physical distancing of Guests outside of their cruise companions (family and/or immediate travel group) at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carnival-approved shore excursions and denial of reboarding the vessel for any noncompliance by Guest or members of Guest’s travelling party with COVID-19 Guest Protocols; (7) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Guests upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Guests to staterooms, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Guest if, in Carnival’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Guest in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Carnival to carry out its COVID-19 Guest Protocols (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), (10) vaccination of guests with documentary proof satisfactory to Carnival, according to the criteria set forth in the COVID-19 Guest Protocols in effect at the time of sailing; and; (11) other policies and procedures deemed by Carnival in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19.

Meh, the contract can say anything, enforcing it is another matter. No one likes bait and switch and it isn't right. Playing games will just end up with a lot of charge backs and ill will, especially during covid with the credit card companies being more lenient with anything covid related. I even got my money back for some travel related gift cards I had ordered when the mask rules went into effect because I bought them when masks weren't required and they changed the rules after they shipped and I no longer agreed with the conditions and refused to travel. The company tried to fight it, they clearly have a "no returns" stated multiple times, yet Amex got my loot back. Hiding behind a contract for poor customer service and unfair policies just makes them look stupid/greedy. Bamboozling your fan/customer base isn't smart business.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It is certainly legal for Carnival to ban any customer for any reason or no reason. There is no right to cruise. Frankly, some customers need to be fired.

AMEN.

• Like 3

In April we cruised to the Bahamas (Nassau & HMC). At the time when we left, we still needed to wear them at embarkation. However while we were on the cruise, they dropped the requirement for them so we did not need to wear them on debarkation. We also did not wear one anywhere in Nassau.

We cruised last week (same cruise as 80sGal) to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We didn't even pack any to take with us "in case" and I am glad we didn't. We didn't need them anywhere on any of the islands. Of course you didn't need them in airports/planes or embarkation/debarkation or anywhere in Miami either. 

I didn't even see any masks anywhere on the islands or in Miami. However the staff on the ship still wear them and there were very very few older people wearing them. 

On 6/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We take the at home free test before going to Walgreens for the test. This way we have some assurance we will pass. As for covid19 spreading fast on the cruise ships. I personally have not heard that anywhere other then on CC.

Almost every ship is in the orange category on the CDC's color status board. I think it's safe to say Covid is currently widespread on cruise ships:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Those who just got back from a cruise. What is the requirements for masks now?

Saw this morning that Princess now requiring masks at all times indoors in all public areas for Alaska sailings due to spikes in the numbers up there. As others have noted, the Captain or the cruise line can, and do, make changes mid-cruise. We have incredibly comfortable, triple filtered masks that I have worn all day at work, and for hours outside as necessary. That's the key to this entire situation, have very comfortable masks on-hand so it's a non-issue if masks are ordered for all public areas. 

• Like 3