The Daily for Monday 06/06/2022

richwmn

D-Day, WWII

Today is Drive In Movie Day, National Gardening Exercise Day, and National Yo-Yo Day

We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.--Veronica Roth, Divergent

Meal Suggestion for today - Michelada
Drink of the Day - David Beams 1838 Cocktail
Wine of the Day - Corazon del Sol 2017 Gran Reserva Revana Vineyard
Destination of the Day - Sitka, Alaska, US

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 06/07
Rotterdam   Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord
Zaandam   Destination Prince Edward Island eta 06/07

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Noordam   15:00 - 18:00

Isle of Portland, Weymouth, Dorset England

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 23:00

Juneau, Alaska

Eurodam   13:00 - 22:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Zuiderdam   10:00 - 18:00

Naples, Italy

Oosterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska

Koningsdam   09:00 - 09:30

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Westerdam  

0606World.thumb.png.e2e681adec2ff0e2e8fcf76780f5eb09.png
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! 

I do have a question for the Daily readers. Has anyone here tried the "Military, Healthcare, & First Responder Appreciation Offer" from HAL?  If you have, how long did it take to receive a reply?

IMG_1506.JPG

Edited by seagarsmoker
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thank you for the Daily Report.

It's important to remember D Day.

I haven't been to a drive in movie in years, sounds like fun.  Gardening exercise day sounds good too, I'm a little sore from working in the garden on the weekend.  I'm not good at making a yo-yo do tricks.

I like the quote.

I'm not sure what the meal is, I'll wait until I see the recipe. 

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Thanks in advance for pictures of Sitka, I haven't been there, yet.

We've got rain this morning, my garden will like that.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good morning everyone.  Where did the weekend go?  Thanks for the daily report.  Not too many drive in movie theaters anymore, the only one that I’m aware of is on the Cape.  Gardening exercise is fun but can take a toll on your knees if you aren’t careful.  I was never very good with a yo-yo.  Pass on the meal suggestion.  I haven’t been to today’s port but would like to someday.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Happy ___________ to you today!🍾

• Like 29

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Today is the 78th anniversary of D-Day.  My father who was a Gunners Mate 1st Class was there and received a Purple Heart at Utah Beach when his USN LST #523 hit a German mine off the coast as they were transporting troops to the beach. The ship sunk in minutes and he was one of the few who survived.

Thanks to The Greatest Generation for what they accomplished in WW2.

Not many Drive In Theaters left in the country but we had quite a few back in the day while growing up in Chicago, great places on date night.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 37

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Neither a gardener nor a yo-yo person, I have fond memories of drive-ins from my youth but they are now pretty much gone.  Love the quote.  Been to Sitka rarely, including my first HAL Cruise, Rotterdam V.  We must celebrate our remaining D-Day heroes.  Not sure what the meal is.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Orange and Radiccio Salad, and Chicken Kiev as served on MS Prinsendam June 6, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Sharon Dh and Bruno with covid
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
My cubmaster
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine but feeling better
From the rotation:
StLouisSal with weakening legs
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Cruising-along great visit with grandsons in Yellowstone
Dfish productively following discharge instructions
Kochleffel and rafinmd still negative24 days for travelingbums (Jewel of the Seas, June 8-20)
Welcome home lazey1
5 days for Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
6 days for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
StPeteCruiser (Ineuw Statendam to 6/10), Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon.

It is currently 59°F and partly sunny.

Thank you Rich and Roy for today's daily and lists.

D-Day is a big moment in history.

I was still in the junior school the last time I played with a yo yo.

I have never been in a drive through movie.

Interesting quote.

Today's food and drink does not appeal to me.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It is another lovely morning here. I love today’s quote. I have gotten in trouble a few times by speaking up to someone not interested in the truth. In the long run, surprisingly my career benefitted from it.

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. Glad to read you are recovering so nicely @dfish , Debbie. When my Sister had hers out in the 70s, she was in the hospital for two weeks. Off to the gym to try another new class. High cardio, but non-dance. Love Zumba, but not all Zumba instructors are created equal. 

This just made me smile….

2D08045B-5934-4E4B-9ED3-7FEB5AF7D3ED.jpeg.501273e5741947fa9a96d42d467d8090.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Corazon del Sol 2017 Gran Reserva Revana Vineyard

This Malbec from Argentina is a bit elusive. It sounds like one I would like to try, but it’s superb rating comes with a price outside of my budget. I would love a taste, though.  A few online distributors with prices starting at $75.00.  

I had to get a bit creative below. When I tried to copy & paste the following info, the words reversed their order. Rather than give you all the challenge of reading backwards - especially before coffee, I took a screenshot and used it instead. 

Winemaker’s Notes

Cuvée Vineyard
 Malbec (/learn/grape- Grape variety varieties/red/malbec)
 Appellation Los Chacayes
 Region Mendoza
 Argentina (/learn/wine- Country regions/argentina)
 Colour Red
  95 Wine Enthusiast

071EB4CF-8320-4FF4-A62A-52338B1CED8B.jpeg.82dbd692c5365b55eb26dce7770041a1.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

David Beam 1839 Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam® Rye
1/2 part Fresh Squeezed Lime
2 parts Pineapple Juice
1/2 part Velvet Falernum Liqueur
1/2 part Yellow Chartreuse® Liqueur
1 stick Sugar Cane
Pineapple Parrot

Instructions
Shake all ingredients with ice until well blended. Strain over loosely packed crushed ice in a double highball glass. Garnish with a sugar cane stir stick and a pineapple parrot.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.43.08 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

Cloudy skies this morning leading to showers tonight.  I will get out and try my walk today!  Other than that, my calendar is free!

We are drinking our dinner today.   Michelada is a Mexican drink made from beer with lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce.  Some recipes also call for tomato juice.  This first one does not.  https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-michelada-mexican-beer-cocktail-recipe

245879062_michelada1.thumb.jpg.e73bd1495a2694c1a21350785aadccf5.jpg

This next one calls for clamato juice and does kind of make it a meal.  https://tipsybartender.com/recipe/boiling-crab-michelada/

314848270_michelada2.jpg.1f247b70b2eb83fdba589ca508c9c646.jpg

You've got your vegetable and protein and carbs in the drink.  I guess you can have some crackers for starch.  

This last one really is a complete meal.   https://www.lataco.com/michelada-ceviche-recipe/

1953464297_michelada3.thumb.jpg.c14080238427322412fd8ca0351fbf2b.jpg

They call it Micheviche.   Michelada with ceviche.  Enjoy!

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of senseless gun violence, and our Daily family members struggling with challenges.  Special prayers for Buddy and @Heartgrove's sister and family.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone. Sam spent most of yesterday in the ER with terrible back pain. A CAT scan showed degenerative disc disease. One shot of morphine later and he was home. We have an appointment with a pain doctor but I’m going to try to move up the appointment.

Nice collection of days and today is the one year program anniversary of Sam’s stroke. We have much to be grateful for because he is doing very well most of the time.

We are now 6 days into my favorite month.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! 

I do have a question for the Daily readers. Has anyone here tried the "Military, Healthcare, & First Responder Appreciation Offer" from HAL?  If you have, how long did it take to receive a reply?

IMG_1506.JPG

DH got the Military offer on our Koningsdam cruises last fall and earlier this year.  At that time, he filled out the form, submitted it, and then received an email confirmation fairly soon afterwards.  I don't remember how quickly, but I think it was within a day, maybe two.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  It’s a beautiful day here in New England.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, although I wouldn’t be opposed to a liquid lunch on the weekend.  Tonight we will have roast beef.  

I will be watching my inbox this week for an upsell offer.  I’m going to reach out to my PCC to see if a test will be required on turn around day in Montreal.  I have a set of tests if needed.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.png.f1a333cf467323dab502b478e511d04b.png

• Like 29
  • Haha 6

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Running errands today in case our trip to Chicago tomorrow is unexpectedly extended. Sam's dog food that I have on auto-ship has been backordered for two weeks so I have to find some today, cut the grass, and change the oil in the car. I finally spoke to DSIL about my brother's condition. It sounds worse than I originally thought. His temperature actually reached 107 degrees with the pneumonia and COVID. I am not sure what damage was done with that. He still has the feeding tube inserted but it can only stay in place for another two weeks. He, so far, is refusing having a PEG inserted. Still not able to swallow food so...?

My sister will probably be in the hospice facility by the time I see her. She had a good day Sunday asking for a cup of coffee and then sitting on her front porch for a while. I am sure it will be increased peaks and valleys from here on. Our plan is to visit both each day being about 45 miles apart, plus squeeze in a visit with my daughter and grandsons. 

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Top of the morning to you all! Have been to Sitka a couple of times. First time,  we went on an excursion to see bears! Not a one till we got back to town and one crossed the road right in front of us and rose up on it’s hind legs. Huge!

Had a pop up summer thunder storm yesterday which gave us a half inch of rain. Tis the season. Currently beautiful 74 degrees and will be in mid eighties later on. 
A few years back we got to visit Omaha Beach, the cemetery and surrounding area. What an emotional day. Til this day that was probably the most significant tour we have ever taken. Our guide from Overland tours had three master degrees in history and just enthralled us with the knowledge, sacrifices and valor that took place that day. Will never forget!

Typical Monday, will get the laundry started, go for a walk and count and enjoy my Blessings!

Enjoy the week and thanks for my morning paper. I cancelled my daily newspaper the other day when they sent me a bill of $830.00 for a one year subscription! Ridiculous!

• Like 34

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Today I am getting together with my two old bosses from the old days at Woodruff.  Getting together is very interesting.  When we all got laid off, I decided to retire.  Which lasted two weeks, i had too long a honey do list, and my honey told me to get a job.  Because i loved going to the senior center two days a week, I got my old part time job back, tweaked the days I worked and was a happy clam. 

The other two both applied for the same jobs,  one in particular that they both wanted.  One got the job. The other did not.  They were both bosses in the same department at different times, the one who got the job, hadn't even sent in an application,   anyway the moral of the story, is ,  employees remember how they were treated.  And the job they wanted was working for an ex employee.  So, when they get talking about work, it gets a bit tense.  The one who didn't get the job?  She got a great job, and lost it during Covid in2020,  and hasn't worked since.

I cant wait to see pictures of Sitka, as it is one of ports of call next May.  One of my customers told me that when she travels she purchases yarn made locally, and suggested that I get some in Sitka, and make a scarf, so that I always can wear my souvenir from Sitka.  I like that idea.

The last movie i saw in a drive in was Blazing Saddles.  My very prudish friend, has never forgiven me for taking her to see it.  Every summer that we went to the Cape as a child we went to the drive in.  I saw Bonnie and Clyde there.

Well, have to get dressed and get that silly check in the bank so I can afford my breakfast with the "girls".

cheezburger-image-9236335104

2092c0390b358c5d26e48b9ea0da7441.jpg

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

A big Salute to DDAY . May we always remember their sacrifice and that of the whole Greatest Generation. My Dad was injured in DDay and survived. He never said much about the war, but insisted we all learn to swim at an early age. He was like the pied piper of our neighborhood as he took all us down to the pond to learn to swim. 

Have been to Sitka a few times. Great little port. The sail in is beautiful.  Was a tender port but now I guess it has been changed and you no longer have to tender but take a shuttle into town. Not sure.

Quiet day here today. Water aerobics and then off to Macys. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 29

Good morning  from a really beautiful day  here.We had a great time yesterday on the patio in the fine weather for a BBQ.There  were a lot of laughs  combined with good food and company.

My mom's  3 brothers were in different  branches of the service and found after the fact that they were all involved in D Day.I remember  family dinners when it was discussed but certainly not in detail in front  of us.

@Heartgrove,Safe  travels to see your family .

@cat shepard,I love the pictures and memes. The flying cat was a hoot.

Terry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

As a 10 year old, I won a drive-in theater pass worth a car load's admission plus concession stand treats. That was a big deal to a military family on a tight budget and an even bigger deal to me. But, a few nights later, when we pulled up to the gate neither the ticket taker nor manager would honor the pass.

I dissolved into tears but my parents said we'd go home and sort it out. True to their words, they helped me find the owner's name, taught me how to present my case, and stood by as I made my call. After a sincere apology, the owner not only reinstated my pass but also awarded an extra pass good for admission each month the rest of that summer!

My parent's lesson on how to 'set things right' has served me well over time. And, that drive-in owner had a customer for life.

(Well, until a mall developer bought the land and the drive-in was no more…)

-Melisa

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2