Am I a buffet line jumper??

CrazyTrain2

OK,

I've been watching a few Cruise etiquette videos and suddenly I realized - I MIGHT BE A LINE JUMPER🤢🤢🤯It was a real moment of self reflection.  But before I place myself in the cruise penalty box I have a few questions:

1. Line backs up for the roast beast carving station - I don't want beast, can I go ahead??

2. I get back to the table. my wife says, OOOoooh - would you get me one of those. - Do I have to start back at the start of the line or can I get the thingy??  ie. Hit and Run through the line

3. Multiple stations in the buffet - where does the line start??  Is there one line per station or is there only one line ?

4. New tray of HVT (High value treats) come in behind me - reverse flow or suck it up camper and start over in the line?

5.  What's the proper distance to jump the gap?  10 feet, 15 feet, NONE?

In retrospect, I might be LINE JUMPER, I do not think I slowed down anyone else's buffet experience down - I'm pretty quick but I might have committed some faux pas from true proper buffet etiquette.  Before I am forced to walk the plank, we normally eat at the MDR not the buffet. But every once in while we end up at the buffet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

OK, I will bite.  It is just like pulling into traffic with your car.  If the car you pull in front of does not have to put on their brakes and you never slow them down then you are OK to cut into the line of cars or buffet line.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Most NCL ships I’ve been on clearly do not have one single line of a buffet.  There are different sections/stations and people roam about as needed to get what they want.  As you approach the roast beast, look to see if others are waiting for some.  If so, get behind them.  Get yours, then move on as you want.  I always just look to make sure  I’m not stepping in front of someone in the immediate vicinity.    I’m not going to feel bad stepping in to get a pat of butter if the closest person is 4 feet back at the French fries. 

If, however, there is clearly a line, then get in it and take your turn. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

OK, I will bite.  It is just like pulling into traffic with your car.  If the car you pull in front of does not have to put on their brakes and you never slow them down then you are OK to cut into the line of cars or buffet line.  

Seems fair, I’ll allow it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1. Line backs up for the roast beast carving station - I don't want beast, can I go ahead??

Absolutely, jump ahead.

2. I get back to the table. my wife says, OOOoooh - would you get me one of those. - Do I have to start back at the start of the line or can I get the thingy??  ie. Hit and Run through the line

Yes, back of the line. If wifey wanted it too, she should have been with you or needs to go on her own.

3. Multiple stations in the buffet - where does the line start??  Is there one line per station or is there only one line ?

One line per station at best.

4. New tray of HVT (High value treats) come in behind me - reverse flow or suck it up camper and start over in the line?

How far behind? One trey? Sure go for it. Back at the beginning, suck it up and if you want it, back of the line. Unless it is lobster. There are NO RULES for lobster.

5 seconds or 10 feet.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

Whew,  I feel like I might be in good company on the plank.

I'm heading out of NYC for Bermuda and I feel like with that many New Englanders on board, if I don't elbow in I might starve to death. 

Is it still appropriate to honk, yell obscenities and throw up the middle finger to get in line??  Seems to be modus operandi for NYC.  I'm just a humble man from a small town trying to get a slice of pie (cherry not pizza).

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

DC Beltway driving rules apply.  You didn’t mention if you passed on the left or right. Slow movers for roast beef, and you passed on the right , you are good as long as the cops aren’t in the breakdown lane with lights on (this is where u slow down and pass safely, moving away from the cops,,, safety people).  People gotta eat and it has been revealed that jumping into an off ramp quick improves traffic flow.

Getting the missus food? This goes to the old adage “stick and stones break my bones,,,, and divorce is forever”. So we all cool if you cutting me off. Keep the lady happy, maybe we need a hand sign so we know what the situation is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

if its just/only to get an item, a simple excuse me, can i just get the whatever youre looking for to the person closest to the item and most people will be accommodating .

it's where y ou jump in the line to get the same things that others are waiting for that will get you thrown overboard

• Like 3

eye contact is key.

if you make eye contact as you dart in to grab this item or that, it's allowed. unless it isn't, which will be indicated by a furrowed brow and a scowl. the analogy that a couple of people have made to driving and merging is apt. as long as there is an empty space and there isn't a critical mass of people waiting nearby to seize the item you're after, go for it.

the thing is there are some folks who believe that one side of the entire buffet is one long line... but it isn't... and it was never intended to be. modern buffet designs have "action stations" which people crowd around to get what they like... really good buffets design these as separate islands... if you have  a round or square free standing station, where is the beginning of the line? there is none... you dart in and out to get what you want.

the problem with most buffets is that they have station after station set up in one long line. and some left brain thinkers and righteous folks who have been taught never to cut the line (and that's a good thing... that they have been taught never to cut the line) wrongly believe that they have to dutifully wait in line pushing their empty tray or plate past the fruit salad, past the cole slaw, past the jello mold, past the - egad, whatever that glutinous mess is - past twelve items they don't want, just so they can get what they do want. you don't have to do that! 

the other problem is when they have a really popular featured item like  steak or prime rib or crabs - or whatever they're carving at the carving station - that people are legitimately lined up for. well, obviously you line up for that, too, if you want those items... the problem is when that line blocks your access to something else that you want and you have no interest in the featured popular item. it is permissible to break through that line, with a polite explanation, saying you just want to sneak in to get some french fries or steamed vegetables or some such.

again, eye contact is key. and informing people of what you're doing if there is a line of people waiting nearby for the thing that you're not going after.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, skeeter195 said:

CourteousLawfulHectorsdolphin-size_restr

OK 👍

• Haha 3

My two cents.

I think it is OK to jump in and out of the line as you see what you want. I do not butt in if people are waiting for sliced meat, omelets, crepes, stuff like that. Many buffet lines seem to be multi-directional. I am tall. so I can see what I want, am able to walk fast etc. Some people seem to have trouble making food choice decisions and then slowly stroll to the next section. Enter the buffet on a mission, get what you want, sit down, eat, repeat!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

OK,

I've been watching a few Cruise etiquette videos and suddenly I realized - I MIGHT BE A LINE JUMPER🤢🤢🤯It was a real moment of self reflection.  But before I place myself in the cruise penalty box I have a few questions:

In retrospect, I might be LINE JUMPER, I do not think I slowed down anyone else's buffet experience down - I'm pretty quick but I might have committed some faux pas from true proper buffet etiquette.  Before I am forced to walk the plank, we normally eat at the MDR not the buffet. But every once in while we end up at the buffet.

Did I miss which city you'll be disembarking from?

If it's New York, follow the line until you're near the front and then suddenly turn sharply even if you think there isn't enough room to squeeze in. People will magically let you merge because they don't want to scratch their paint job, then give the person behind you a dirty look like they should have known better. If you don't do this, you'll starve waiting eternally at the end of the line while everyone else endlessly cuts you off.

image.png.fac2875bd91e253d512f772cd8393304.png

P.S. If you wear this t-shirt, people will naturally back off too.

image.png.47a3df84f1e3d34a3db00cd464d55afb.png

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got yelled at by a bunch of Karens on my last Carnival cruise when I tried to squeeze in and grab something I forgot. I wasn't going to wait in line for another 25 minutes just to grab a dinner roll. I politely said, "Excuse me, I just need to grab a bun." and before I could reach in and grab one, the two women squeezed together so I couldn't get through and one of them scowled, "The line is back there!". Very rude. I almost threw my plate in her face. There were a lot of rude people on that cruise. I think being isolated for a year made people forget how to function in society.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

This is perfectly acceptable as long as you say "excuse me" before reaching over someone and grabbing the food with your hands.

Watch this poor lady in the background 😂

image.jpeg.e865b604dc8e3942f66da7f553b628a5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I never viewed the buffet as having a line. It's a bunch of individual stations. Heck yea, I weave in and out of each station. I've never had more than 2-3 people ahead of me waiting for something

13 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

CourteousLawfulHectorsdolphin-size_restr

OK 👍

I've ridden for 40 years, lane splitting is one thing I will never do. I've seen two cyclist taken out by cars that pulled out

• Like 3

You can cut all you like as long as you don't stand in line, eat your french fries, lick your fingers, wipe them on your pants and then touch the serving utensils.....I will take cutting any day over seeing THAT...which I saw more than you can imagine on my last cruise on the JOY....🤢

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quencups said:

You can cut all you like as long as you don't stand in line, eat your french fries, lick your fingers, wipe them on your pants and then touch the serving utensils.....I will take cutting any day over seeing THAT...which I saw more than you can imagine on my last cruise on the JOY....🤢

Yep, heading off on the Joy - out of good ol' sanitary, polite NYC.

Oh, JOY!

Re-watching the Sopranos to get my vocabulary updated.

We could have gone out of Boston, but then I'd watch Bill Burr to get the "feel of the crowd".

Edited by CrazyTrain2