Nickels and Dimes - Room Service Delivery Charge? Really?!

kmtoner

Our Celebrity iPhone app went "live" this week in connection with our September 2022 cruise on the Beyond. The app is dazzling and provides endless information for cruise junkies. But one thing that caught my eye was a $4.95 delivery charge for room service orders made after 11 p.m. Is this new?

This particular charge won't be an issue. (We've ever used room service for anything other than breakfast.) But this is the first time I've seen any cruise line tack on a delivery charge for cabin service. Are there other surprises lurking in the fine print? As an everything-included, suite-buying, top-shelf-drinking passenger, I'm extra curious.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kmtoner said:

Our Celebrity iPhone app went "live" this week in connection with our September 2022 cruise on the Beyond. The app is dazzling and provides endless information for cruise junkies. But one thing that caught my eye was a $4.95 delivery charge for room service orders made after 11 p.m. Is this new?

This particular charge won't be an issue. (We've ever used room service for anything other than breakfast.) But this is the first time I've seen any cruise line tack on a delivery charge for cabin service. Are there other surprises lurking in the fine print? As an everything-included, suite-buying, top-shelf-drinking passenger, I'm extra curious.

Not new 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kmtoner said:

You might consider reading your contact 

• Like 2

It's not new, and it's not just Celebrity. RC, Carnival, MSC, and NCL charge delivery fees in one form or another, and there may be others.

Among other things, there was a bit of abuse (especially late at night). 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I’m guessing the charge is a deterrent to late night drunk ordering a grilled cheese sandwich and fries then passing out before it arrives. 

I'm sure that was part of it. There also were stories of folks just ordering something like a Coke just because they could. 

4 hours ago, kmtoner said:

This is not new at all, and it is perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I'm sure that was part of it. There also were stories of folks just ordering something like a Coke just because they could. 

Aren't beverages always charged separately even if you have a drink package included? In that case ordering a coke would be kind of stupid.

I think it does make sense to deter late night ordering through room service otherwise you'd need an armada of kitchen staff and wait staff on duty, way more than the current number. It's quite interesting how many people are up at Oceanview Cafe late night for some pizza and snacks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCPIV said:

12 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I’m guessing the charge is a deterrent to late night drunk ordering a grilled cheese sandwich and fries then passing out before it arrives. 

Exactly.  In speaking to an officer about this, some late-nighters would order food and fall asleep and not answer the door.  Like you said, order a Coke because they could.  Many complained that what they ordered was not what they really wanted and to take it back.  They just needed to curb the abuse!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DCPIV said:

It's not new, and it's not just Celebrity. RC, Carnival, MSC, and NCL charge delivery fees in one form or another, and there may be others.

All the cruise lines you mentioned are mass market. Celebrity marketing claims to be luxury.  Luxury lines don't charge for room service delivery.  Do they?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

All the cruise lines you mentioned are mass market. Celebrity marketing claims to be luxury.  Luxury lines don't charge for room service delivery.  Do they?

Celebrity is definitely not luxury segment and I've never seen them advertise themselves like that.

30 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Celebrity is definitely not luxury segment and I've never seen them advertise themselves like that.

"Our iconic "X" is the mark of luxury, the mark of contemporary spaces that are at once coolly sophisticated and warmly inviting. Where the culinary experience is influenced by global cuisines and designed by our Michelin-starred chef. Where our staff provides seamless and intuitive service that’s both personal and unobtrusive. Where everything is designed to provide unparalleled luxury cruise vacations for travelers of every age. Our fourteen award-winning ships offer unique experiences in more than 300 destinations on all seven continents."

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, DCPIV said:

So does HAL charge for late night RS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

As much as we like Celebrity, they are a mass marketed cruise line just a little more premium than some of the others specially with their Retreat product. I have seen HAL ads hyping their Luxury experience and they are not on the same level as Celebrity by a long shot. HAL has no true suite amenities. IMO compared to lines like Carnival, Princess, Royal and NCL, Celebrity is the more Luxury cruise line. Our experience with booking the Retreat is what keeps us with Celebrity and away from more premium lines like Viking Ocean and Oceania. The value of the Retreat Sky Suite keeps us from even looking at luxury lines like Seabourne and Regent.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

"Our iconic "X" is the mark of luxury, the mark of contemporary spaces that are at once coolly sophisticated and warmly inviting. Where the culinary experience is influenced by global cuisines and designed by our Michelin-starred chef. Where our staff provides seamless and intuitive service that’s both personal and unobtrusive. Where everything is designed to provide unparalleled luxury cruise vacations for travelers of every age. Our fourteen award-winning ships offer unique experiences in more than 300 destinations on all seven continents."

Another X slogan " modern luxury lives here".