New to Royal Caribbean

Hello! I'm very familiar with Carnival, but have only been on one Royal Caribbean and it was 8 years ago. Where do I find prices for things, like which activities cost money, how much for the drink packages, dining packages? I keep seeing on their website a range and am wondering where I find an actual price before booking the cruise. My group is kind of Carnivaled out and we're thinking about Royal Caribbean. Thanks!

I don't know of any way to find those prices until you have a cruise booked.  Once you do have a booking, you can go to the RCCL website and access the "Manage My Cruise" link and see what is offered in the "Cruise Planner" for drinks, dining, internet, spa, and shorex.  Ignore all they hype about the "discounts" and BOGO's.  Just consider the bottom line per-person price and buy if it meets your needs and budget.  Keep checking the Cruise Planner every day (yes EVERY day) as prices change all the time.  If you find a lower price, you can "return: what you previously purchased and re-buy at the lower price.  Also note that prices vary by ship and itinerary.  While my Deluxe Beverage Package might see prices of $65 range, yours could be $61 or as much as $89.  But again, the prices can change daily based on demand and seasonal sales.

I have found tons of info on YouTube.  Not specific prices but definitely what is free or extra.  You can see all the ships and cabin selection.    I check online travel sites for price comparisons but still use my own travel agent.

55 minutes ago, angelbaby129 said:

Where do I find prices for things, like which activities cost money, how much for the drink packages, dining packages?

AFAIK the only way to tell for a particular cruise is to (1) book the cruise yourself or (2) get answers from someone who has booked that particular cruise.

RCI uses dynamic pricing, which basically mean that prices are flexible and change for each cruise over time.  My own cruise (in August) had the lowest price for the Deluxe Beverage Package (the boozy package) today since April.  No warning or notice--you just have to check regularly or know someone who does.

It also helps to know which class ship you are considering.

Quantum Class has the

North Star viewing bubble (sort of like a single unit from the London Eye on a crane). It’s been free on Sea Days and for-fee on Port Days.

iFly sky-diving simulator

Oasis Class has ice skating, carousel, zip line over Central Park (I think)

Lots of ships have rock climbing wall, Flowrider surfing.

…. As others have said, Beverage and Dining Packages are ship and date dependent. Find the highest price you see and use that to determine your final cruise cost and whether that’s what you are willing to pay. Then watch for an actual price drop on everything - including the cruise fare. Actual $ amounts - not % off.

Ballpark $80/day pp, every adult in your cabin to get a rough estimate on drink package.  Kids would also have to get some drink deal, too. Soda-only is ~$12/day.

Wow, this sounds really complicated. But back up, I understand every adult has to get some kind of drink package if anyone does, but kids do too? Can I get around that by booking connecting rooms and putting the two kids in one room? I don't want to cheat the system, but my kids only drink water. We're looking at the Allure of the Seas.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, angelbaby129 said:

Wow, this sounds really complicated. But back up, I understand every adult has to get some kind of drink package if anyone does, but kids do too? Can I get around that by booking connecting rooms and putting the two kids in one room? I don't want to cheat the system, but my kids only drink water. We're looking at the Allure of the Seas.

You can certainly put them in another room if you wish, but kids aren't required to buy anything. 

The only requirement is adults (over 21) sharing a cabin are supposed to both purchase the deluxe beverage package if one person does. But even with that, the other person can actually purchase the refreshment package instead. You have to call to set it up that way, but it can be done. 

I get bombarded with emails from RC almost on a daily basis showing deals on everything . I dont read them as i booked a suite on Allure this time and everything is included in terms of drinks and internet .

6 hours ago, angelbaby129 said:

Folks in the cabin who are under 21 are not required to have any type of drink packages just because the adults do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, angelbaby129 said:

Actually, it is best to do the opposite...if you book one child and one adult in each room, each adult can independently book the drink package without having to book anything else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alohayall said:

It also helps to know which class ship you are considering.

Quantum Class has the

North Star viewing bubble (sort of like a single unit from the London Eye on a crane). It’s been free on Sea Days and for-fee on Port Days.

iFly sky-diving simulator

Oasis Class has ice skating, carousel, zip line over Central Park (I think)

Lots of ships have rock climbing wall, Flowrider surfing.

…. As others have said, Beverage and Dining Packages are ship and date dependent. Find the highest price you see and use that to determine your final cruise cost and whether that’s what you are willing to pay. Then watch for an actual price drop on everything - including the cruise fare. Actual $ amounts - not % off.

Ballpark $80/day pp, every adult in your cabin to get a rough estimate on drink package.  Kids would also have to get some drink deal, too. Soda-only is ~$12/day.

Just an FYI, North Star is free on port days but costs money on sea days. 

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, North Star is free on port days but costs money on sea days. 

Thanks - yep, I had it backwards. On Sea Days, they take you out over the side of the ship. And Port Days, you only go up.  

Thanks everyone for the clarifications on stateroom requirements for buying drink packages. I posted info from memory - but mixed up rules from different cruise lines.  

Glad to have a sharing community.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, angelbaby129 said:

Hello! I'm very familiar with Carnival, but have only been on one Royal Caribbean and it was 8 years ago. Where do I find prices for things, like which activities cost money, how much for the drink packages, dining packages? I keep seeing on their website a range and am wondering where I find an actual price before booking the cruise. My group is kind of Carnivaled out and we're thinking about Royal Caribbean. Thanks!

I just checked a few of my booked cruises for DBP and most are $66 plus 18% gratuity. The Navigator is $76, but it’s over New Years. The Refreshment package is running $23 on all. 

52 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I just checked a few of my booked cruises for DBP and most are $66 plus 18% gratuity. The Navigator is $76, but it’s over New Years. The Refreshment package is running $23 on all. 

Navigator is $76 at the end of September, too. And not a holiday sailing. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1