Emerald Princess British Isles COVID.

majortom10

12 minutes ago, AZ Gurl said:

We are on Emerald now. Was very surprised at just how quickly Covid spread throughout the ship. Two of our extended travel group are in quarantine and yesterday our neighbors in the next cabin were picked up and moved. We will likely avoid cruising until things calm down. 

We are on next week(pending test tomorrow),

Not looking good,  need to avoid getting tested once on the ship

Our plan is to look at more responsible lines going forward that are running with lower capacity.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Now the US travel rules have been relaxed I think the US pax will take less care on avoiding Covid as they no longer have to test to go home.

39 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

On the contrary we are traveling from the U.S. and are planning to wear Masks on board, avoid elevators and use the same sensible precautions we employ on a daily basis living in New York City. 

Jonathan 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, caribill said:

o Even those with little or no symptoms can end up with long-term Covid.

o Even those with little or no symptoms can spread the virus to other people who might not be as lucky.

As I said life is a risk ....then don't cruise if you cannot take that risk ...

it's mutated that many times it's a more of a cold now, I've had it ...

Do you all want hide away for that ? 

If you do say goodbye to cruising its going to be a while ...as they have no way of stopping a cold even now ? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Our plan is to look at more responsible lines going forward that are running with lower capacity.

Good luck with that. 

Princess are no different to any of the other mainstream lines as regards passenger numbers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AZ Gurl said:

We are on Emerald now. Was very surprised at just how quickly Covid spread throughout the ship. Two of our extended travel group are in quarantine and yesterday our neighbors in the next cabin were picked up and moved. We will likely avoid cruising until things calm down. 

Maybe you caught it at the airport ....on the plane ....anywhere, but  C did not show up until now ...

I bet the test was before you flew in ? 

and so many infections means the test to get on board is pointless ....or was it from the last ports you visited ...again pointless testing ...

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good luck with that. 

Princess are no different to any of the other mainstream lines as regards passenger numbers.

Managed 30% on NCL last month.

If you look they are out there just don't book too early and have them fill a ship on you.

14 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Managed 30% on NCL last month.

If you look they are out there just don't book too early and have them fill a ship on you.

Highly unlikely that you will find that low level anymore. 

And, there is no way of knòwing in advance what the occupancy level will be.

2 hours ago, fishnchips said:

As I said life is a risk ....then don't cruise if you cannot take that risk ...

it's mutated that many times it's a more of a cold now, I've had it ...

Do you all want hide away for that ? 

If you do say goodbye to cruising its going to be a while ...as they have no way of stopping a cold even now ? 

Exactly. I get sick of pandering to the minority. We are way past the stage when this virus was a major concern. Of course people are still getting severe complications, as we have with many other diseases/illnesses.

If people are worried about catching Covid then take your own precautions or choose another form of holiday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Emerald Princess on the Caribbean East/West cruise prior to the Transatlantic. Unfortunately many passengers were not wearing masks then either. I mentioned almost daily about the recommended number of six people in lifts several times and needed to get out myself on a couple of occasions, as not everyone wanted to stick to the recommendation. Some sheepishly withdrew.

We were fortunate not to catch Covid and did not know anyone who did. However, reading these boards since returning, it seems there were quite a few cases on our cruise and those which followed.

Cruising, like life, is a risk in these Covid times. You can be lucky..or not !!!

I was on the May 21 sailing. Knowing I had to test to fly home I took precautions. Ate at a private table, wore KN95 mask. Took stairs as much as possible. 

I flew home the day after disembarkation so I took an emed test on 6/2 and was negative. I was starting to feel off that same day, could be allergies as they were bothering me when I was in London prior to cruise and tested negative then too. On June 4 I woke up at home and knew it wasn’t allergies and yep tested positive. A week later I am still sick but improving. 
On my survey I did mention I had tested positive 2 days after disembarkation. The tour buses is where I suspected I caught it. The one bus the coughing was non stop. 
on my sailing there were 2100 passengers and a crew member told me the next one had 600 more. 

17 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

We are on the Island Princess now and mask are required in all public settings, no sitting at bars, and I am sure there will be quite a few sick ones when we reach London.  You walk down the halls and the little tables they have outside the cabins where passengers have Covid keep increasing daily.  

Nice ambience when you walk by red bio-hazard waste bags in the hall ways and empty styrofoam food containers.  

Is Princess now allowing passengers that test positive to quarantine in the cabins they paid for rather than moving them to one in an isolated area of the ship?

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is Princess now allowing passengers that test positive to quarantine in the cabins they paid for rather than moving them to one in an isolated area of the ship?

Removing the testing to fly requirement relieves a lot of stress, and this is the next step I'd like to see happen. No matter how careful you are with masking, you can't eliminate the risk of getting Covid, especially on a cruise with 3 tender ports as we will have on the 7/20 Emerald sailing. We're planning to avoid the ship excursions in order to avoid the big tour buses, but there's no getting around the need to use the tenders and (at least occasionally) the elevators, and the need to take your mask off to eat and drink. If despite my best efforts I still get Covid, I'd rather quarantine in the stateroom I carefully selected and paid for.

Edited by junglejane
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have no idea, but Princess are certainly not sailing at that capacity level. 

They did on my sailing on 28 May so yes they are on some sailings (on Sky).

And ps the next sailing was almost as busy according to another long term CC member Pinkbelle.

Edited by Eglesbrech

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

They did on my sailing on 28 May so yes they are on some sailings.

Perhaps you can supply the exact passenger numbers, as that figure would indicate only a handful of quarantine cabins would be available,  which is not the case.

99% would mean 3050 passengers at least. Was that tge number on your cruise? 

Edited by wowzz

5 hours ago, cruiserking said:

On the contrary we are traveling from the U.S. and are planning to wear Masks on board, avoid elevators and use the same sensible precautions we employ on a daily basis living in New York City. 

Jonathan 

That is great however  from eye witness reports all travelers do not think like you do. With the lack of required testing to return home for US travelers I agree with the comment above...they will not be as careful and many more will be on the planes with Covid. Just the facts. High season is kicking in, pent up travel demand and you can  expect airports/ships/trains/planes etc. all to be packed. I think it will be difficult for cruise lines to enforce masking onboard when basically the rest of the travel world is ignoring it.  You just have to be up for the challenge or not take vacations where you are guaranteed to be around lots of people.  Right now cruises are a high risk venture for covid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps you can supply the exact passenger numbers, as that figure would indicate only a handful of quarantine cabins would be available,  which is not the case. 

3525 pax (from the general manager). Children 3 and 4 up in cabins raising numbers to almost normal capacity.

Quarantine cabins deck 9 mid ships,  port. Starboard fully open.

I suggest you read my “live” report.

12 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

That is great however  from eye witness reports all travelers do not think like you do. With the lack of required testing to return home for US travelers I agree with the comment above...they will not be as careful and many more will be on the planes with Covid. Just the facts. High season is kicking in, pent up travel demand and you can  expect airports/ships/trains/planes etc. all to be packed. I think it will be difficult for cruise lines to enforce masking onboard when basically the rest of the travel world is ignoring it.  You just have to be up for the challenge or not take vacations where you are guaranteed to be around lots of people.  Right now cruises are a high risk venture for covid.

I think it’s going to be a tough summer for the cruise lines, trying to keep covid cases down and filling their ships.  

I wonder what the fall and winter will bring us?  Hmmmm 😳

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

School holiday cruise loads of kids and use of 3/4 berth cabins

Max capacity is 4600pax can leave plenty of empty cabins at 100%(based on 2 berth capacity)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I see you have changed this post after my response.

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

School holiday cruise loads of kids and use of 3/4 berth cabins

Max capacity is 4600pax can leave plenty of empty cabins at 100%(based on 2 berth capacity)

Exactly.

Princess are stuffing their ships full as you correctly indicated.

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Exactly.

Princess are stuffing their ships full as you correctly indicated.

This is pretty common knowledge at this point and on some ships with not everything open the lines for buffet etc. are making any "distancing" not realistic.  I think that is a forgotten concept. Many people wanted things "back to normal" and they are rapidly getting there...with one big  difference..a highly contagious virus is being passed around and sadly the vax will not stop the spread. Now if cruise lines try to dial it back with masks etc. I think it will not be easy. At this point all up to your tolerance for the whole situation when vacationing on a ship with lots of people.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southamptoncruisers said:

I did read your live report and found I had a totally different cruise experience to yours. We had a fantastic time and can't wait to get back on the Sky on the 30th July. I'd much rather be on a full ship with atmosphere rather than an half empty one. As has been said covid is a thing of the past it's now time to start living life to the full again instead of worrying about too many people in a lift or who's wearing a mask and who isn't etc. 

And  you are totally entitled to that point of view, as I am to mine.

Covid however is not a thing of the past, just ask the families of those who have died from it recently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4