Princess and covid cases

floridababa

It seems that the cases are going up and princess once again cannot handle things. I know Island Princess having lots of cases. What about other ships?

Do they not have a plan to keep the passengers informed? Quarantined passengers are not being told anything.

Hope someone starts straightening things or they will be losing passengers in the future.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Perhaps,  it’s time to move away from the quarantine process??

You would really want to be I an elevator with a bunch of unvaccinated, positive passengers ?  Or maybe be surrounded by them in the theatre ?  Not for me

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, floridababa said:

It seems that the cases are going up and princess once again cannot handle things. I know Island Princess having lots of cases. What about other ships?

Do they not have a plan to keep the passengers informed? Quarantined passengers are not being told anything.

Hope someone starts straightening things or they will be losing passengers in the future.

Some members have posted on live threads.

one I just read said there were 7 bus loads of Covid positive passengers going to quarantine.  That is the highest I’ve heard of.

I was on a 4 day cruise on Discovery in May & only heard of one. Could have been more.

Although Island Princess is not currently a participant in the newer voluntary CDC Covid recommendations program, Princess has 7 ships in the program.  All 7 ships are coded orange by the CDC.  Orange means there are enough Covid cases onboard, and the number is enough to trigger CDC monitoring the ships' Covid protocols and procedures.  Red is the highest category, and a red ship means the number and severity of Covid cases on a ship is causing the CDC to put additional public health requirements in place.  At the present time, CDC reports there are no cruise ships coded red, 85 cruise ships coded orange and 4 yellow and 4 green (lower categories requiring no further monitoring by the CDC.)

I think out of the thousands and thousands of people who have cruised, we are really only hearing the stories of those in the minority who tested positive for Covid.  People just don't jump on CC or other forms of social media to report that nothing happened to them.  This is not to minimize what has happened to those who got Covid, but it does seem that the very vocal minority is making the issue appear to be worse than it is.  If things were really, really bad and out of control, there would be any number of ships coded red by the CDC.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

You would really want to be I an elevator with a bunch of unvaccinated, positive passengers ?  Or maybe be surrounded by them in the theatre ?  Not for me

Nobody mentioned unvaccinated.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Although Island Princess is not currently a participant in the newer voluntary CDC Covid recommendations program, Princess has 7 ships in the program.  All 7 ships are coded orange by the CDC.  Orange means there are enough Covid cases onboard, and the number is enough to trigger CDC monitoring the ships' Covid protocols and procedures.  Red is the highest category, and a red ship means the number and severity of Covid cases on a ship is causing the CDC to put additional public health requirements in place.  At the present time, CDC reports there are no cruise ships coded red, 85 cruise ships coded orange and 4 yellow and 4 green (lower categories requiring no further monitoring by the CDC.)

I think out of the thousands and thousands of people who have cruised, we are really only hearing the stories of those in the minority who tested positive for Covid.  People just don't jump on CC or other forms of social media to report that nothing happened to them.  This is not to minimize what has happened to those who got Covid, but it does seem that the very vocal minority is making the issue appear to be worse than it is.  If things were really, really bad and out of control, there would be any number of ships coded red by the CDC.

The Island thread mentioned 200 positive out of 800 b2b passengers.  No wonder they didn’t “volunteer”.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, memoak said:

You already are getting into elevators, eating in the MDR, and going to the theater with people who have COVID.   The only way to avoid it is to avoid any enclosed space with other people.  Most people who get COVID are contagious before they develop symptoms and many never develop symptoms and so never get tested.  I'm not sure what exactly we are accomplishing by quarantining only people who develop symptoms and test positive after they have already spread it to countless other people.  

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, prmssk said:

You already are getting into elevators, eating in the MDR, and going to the theater with people who have COVID.   The only way to avoid it is to avoid any enclosed space with other people.  Most people who get COVID are contagious before they develop symptoms and many never develop symptoms and so never get tested.  I'm not sure what exactly we are accomplishing by quarantining only people who develop symptoms and test positive after they have already spread it to countless other people.  

Let’s say if quarantined they spread virus to LESS passengers & crew.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jeno said:

The Island thread mentioned 200 positive out of 800 b2b passengers.  No wonder they didn’t “volunteer”.  

Princess allows up to 10% exemptions for unvaccinated passengers. If it was 100% vaccinated on cruises. Personally I will not allow an unvaccinated unmasked person into my house

Edited by memoak
  • Like 7

To be in the CDC’s Red level is not solely based on the number of infected crew & passengers like other levels but adds additional conditions.

More than 0.3% of total passengers and/or crew plus

• Sustained transmission,
  • Multiple factors that overwhelm onboard medical and/or public health resources, or
  • Variants of concern are identified among on board cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html#faq-1

If only based on 0.3% of everyone onboard that’s only 9 passengers when 3,000 are onboard which likely all ships would exceed & puts them in the Orange level. Having busloads of infected passengers without the 3 other factors doesn’t result in a Red rating. Although for me having busloads of infected passengers is a factor for me to consider but lacking those 3 conditions the CDC ratings does not reflect the number of cases onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeno said:

The test to return to the US highlighted how bad the situation was.

European guidance(June release) is still do regular testing of passengers, but don't think many lines bother.

Once testing was dropped the cruise lines just pretend there is no problem and hope people don't volunteer for testing when they get a sniff or a cough.

It's working they can wipe their hands once thecovid pax has left the ship.

• Like 1

Any idea approx how many cabins are designated for quarantine? I would think that if passengers were able to quarantine with restrictions in their own cabin that would free up cabins for the PC to sell. More money for the co. Personally I think that PC should not be going maxed out in capacity but just a thought on the quarantine protocols of guests.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeno said:

The Island is now sailing from England for the next few months.  Since it isn't sailing in U.S. waters at all, the Island is not eligible to participate in the CDC program until she returns to U.S. waters.  Island has a capacity of 2200 passengers, so 200 positive cases would be less than 10% which is still a high number no doubt.  What we don't know from these unverified numbers is how many of the "200" actually brought the virus onboard with them rather than getting infected onboard.  Some research shows that it can take up to a week for contagious infected individuals to test positive, especially if they were vaccinated.  A negative test result prior to boarding - especially one taken at embarkation is no guarantee that the passenger is not infected and contagious.

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

To be in the CDC’s Red level is not solely based on the number of infected crew & passengers like other levels but adds additional conditions.

More than 0.3% of total passengers and/or crew plus

• Sustained transmission,
  • Multiple factors that overwhelm onboard medical and/or public health resources, or
  • Variants of concern are identified among on board cases.

When I wrote "a red ship means the number and severity of Covid cases on a ship" I was taking into account the concept of Sustained transmission (many, many new cases onboard causing uncontrollable transmission) as well as if the number of positive cases is so large that the ship's medical facilities get overwhelmed could be one of the multiple factors to trigger an elevation of status.

To be clear, I am not trying to minimize the danger of contracting Covid-19 on a cruise.  I personally only took one cruise this year and it was only 4 days long with a capped passenger count.  I think the longer the cruise one is on combined with higher passenger counts substantially increases the risk of contracting Covid-19.  We all still need to exercise discretion in what we choose to do with our leisure activities.  Try to stay safe...

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3

The 200 mentioned was of the 200 of the 800 B2B passengers that had to be tested to continue on the next leg.  All passengers weren’t tested.  That info is according to the post on the current roll call. I don’t think any of the others were tested, just the 800.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jeno said:

The 200 mentioned was of the 200 of the 800 B2B passengers that had to be tested to continue on the next leg.  All passengers weren’t tested.  That info is according to the post on the current roll call. I don’t think any of the others were tested, just the 800.  

200 actually tested positive or 200 didn't continue on because they either tested positive or a travel mate tested positive?  I would imagine one-half of a couple likely wouldn't continue on and if that couple was traveling with more people, those others may also not continue on.  And how would someone know that number?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Princess allows up to 10% exemptions for unvaccinated passengers. If it was 100% vaccinated on cruises. Personally I will not allow an unvaccinated unmasked person into my house

Asking for proof at the doorstep?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, prmssk said:

200 actually tested positive or 200 didn't continue on because they either tested positive or a travel mate tested positive?  I would imagine one-half of a couple likely wouldn't continue on and if that couple was traveling with more people, those others may also not continue on.  And how would someone know that number?

Your reasoning is very astute.  This concept also applies to people who report the number of "Covid Positive busses" at disembarkation.  A post on another thread stated that many of the people travelling on the bus were part of the Covid positive's travel party and didn't want to be separated.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

When I wrote "a red ship means the number and severity of Covid cases on a ship" I was taking into account the concept of Sustained transmission (many, many new cases onboard causing uncontrollable transmission) as well as if the number of positive cases is so large that the ship's medical facilities get overwhelmed could be one of the multiple factors to trigger an elevation of status.

To be clear, I am not trying to minimize the danger of contracting Covid-19 on a cruise.  I personally only took one cruise this year and it was only 4 days long with a capped passenger count.  I think the longer the cruise one is on combined with higher passenger counts substantially increases the risk of contracting Covid-19.  We all still need to exercise discretion in what we choose to do with our leisure activities.  Try to stay safe...

Thanks…I wasn’t being critical of your post but merely further explaining the Red level qualifications which were new to me & thus might also be new to others. I also agree with your other statements about trying to stay safe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…I wasn’t being critical of your post but merely further explaining the Red level qualifications which were new to me & thus might also be new to others. I also agree with your other statements about trying to stay safe.

I didn't take your post as being critical.  I was just clarifying my point for the other six readers of this thread... 😏

3 hours ago, floridababa said:

But then why do we need to test prior to boarding a cruise?

I think the case numbers could be even worse if they didn't require a negative test to board the ship.  I wonder how many people test positive and aren't able to go on their cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Asking for proof at the doorstep?

Yep. I also check out any companies coming to do work in my condo. Most everyone here has proof of vaccination on their phones

Edited by memoak
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yep. I also check out any companies coming to do work in my condo. Most everyone here has proof of vaccination on their phones

Well, I usually know who is coming to our house but even if first time I let them know they are welcome to wear a mask in the house, or not.  It's all personal comfort level, but I couldn't imagine our contractors having to do what they are doing all day long wearing a mask.  What I think they should be doing is wearing more ear protection at times.  They are more at risk of hearing loss than catching Covid.  LOL.  

• Like 4