Princess and covid cases

floridababa

I think we are all tired and frustrated. I will be cruising soon and I just wish princess would of kept capacity down. I was on regal in march and   capacity was down as well as covid cases.  All cruise lines are now booking 80%- 90%. In the rush to make back  their money lost during lockdown they are  creating a mess.  MSC is making crew wear masks and shields which I felt was great. I felt safe. Even their MDR tables were separated and capacity was at 75%.

Yes we have to get use to the risks but passengers need to also be responsible. Do unto others as you would want others to do to you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, floridababa said:

I think we are all tired and frustrated. I will be cruising soon and I just wish princess would of kept capacity down. I was on regal in march and   capacity was down as well as covid cases.  All cruise lines are now booking 80%- 90%. In the rush to make back  their money lost during lockdown they are  creating a mess.  MSC is making crew wear masks and shields which I felt was great. I felt safe. Even their MDR tables were separated and capacity was at 75%.

Yes we have to get use to the risks but passengers need to also be responsible. Do unto others as you would want others to do to you.

I agree it would be nice.  But, with a

$36 Billion dollar debt, CCL holdings, which includes PCL, of course, has to find a balance between passenger loads and keeping us safe.  They have gradually increased loads since the restart in 2021.  In order to survive they must start to fill the ships.  JMO

I hope you enjoy your cruise and stay safe.

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

But when we cross the road we don't generally wear a helmet, wear brightly colored clothing to be seen better, or even only cross at crosswalks with walk signals.  It's all about degrees of how many precautions we feel are necessary to mitigate the risk.  I don't think anyone on this thread would argue there aren't any precautions that should be taken.  Our disagreement is in how many precautions need to be taken based on how effective we think those precautions are based on the cost (time, money, emotional, etc.) of taking those precautions.  

Also it depends on the level of risk to be mitigated.

A person may do all of those things that you mention when they cross the road if the road is extremely busy and visibility is poor.  But they would do less those things if crossing a quiet country lane in bright sunlight.

Likewise, a person may take more Coronavirus precautions if they are in a densely packed space and local transmission rates are known to be high.  They may do less is they are in a very quiet space and transmission rates are currently low.

Personally, I don't think its a case of 'no precautions to be taken from X date and that's the end of it. If we really are going to 'learn to live with it', then we adjust our behaviour with the ebb and flow of the pandemic.

Of course, if the USA is anything like the UK, the majority think it's 'over', so I don't think it'll happen like this - but it may be like this on the ships. 

21 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Over the busy Christmas season (quarter ending Feb 28) CCL occupancy of all of their lines was 56%. and they lost a billion dollars on operations.  Long term operations at reduced capacity means business failure.

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

Over the busy Christmas season (quarter ending Feb 28) CCL occupancy of all of their lines was 56%. and they lost a billion dollars on operations.  Long term operations at reduced capacity means business failure.

Can you give a source for that billion dollar loss? It would certainly explain the haste with which they ramped up capacity from then until now. 

3 minutes ago, venussuz said:

Can you give a source for that billion dollar loss? It would certainly explain the haste with which they ramped up capacity from then until now. 

I saw the stock market reviews for CCL stock and it says they are $56 billion in debt from the shutdown.

You can search that anywhere on the internet. 

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Also it depends on the level of risk to be mitigated.

A person may do all of those things that you mention when they cross the road if the road is extremely busy and visibility is poor.  But they would do less those things if crossing a quiet country lane in bright sunlight.

Very good observation.  Rather than focusing on the numbers of people who test positive, maybe we should instead be focusing on the number of cruise passengers who have passed away from Covid or ended up on a ventilator after being on a ship.  Do we have any reports of people being evacuated at sea because of Covid-19?  You're absolutely correct - it is the level of risk which should determine the mitigation processes.  We're not in the same place as we were in the Spring of 2020. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Very good observation.  Rather than focusing on the numbers of people who test positive, maybe we should instead be focusing on the number of cruise passengers who have passed away from Covid or ended up on a ventilator after being on a ship.  Do we have any reports of people being evacuated at sea because of Covid-19?  You're absolutely correct - it is the level of risk which should determine the mitigation processes.  We're not in the same place as we were in the Spring of 2020. 

Due to the vaccination requirements those numbers are currently low. Due to health privacy laws about the only way to know is if someone involved reports it.

However, with the relatively low uptake of boosters, the numbers in the general population are starting to tick upwards in the general population in the elderly population as time since last shot grows.

Expect this to be more of an issue late 2022 early 2023 if current trends continue.

Cruiselines could reduce that risk about potential serious cases in the future by changing from vaccinated at any time to current on vaccination. 

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

I saw the stock market reviews for CCL stock and it says they are $56 billion in debt from the shutdown.

You can search that anywhere on the internet. 

Down 80% over last 2 1/2 years, ouch!  I did pick up 100 shares this week so I could get the OBCC of $250 for long cruises, glad I don’t expect stock performance.

Some thoughts on this topic....

I am a physician, age 70+ years and decided to keep my practice open.  Took all precautions, was up to date in respect to Covid Vaccinations, in fact I was one of the first to receive all four of them.

We weathered the worst of it.

Until last month when I contracted Covid, but fortunately it was no more severe then a mild head cold.  Took Paxlovid and symptoms cleared within one day.

Covid is out there, and extremely contagious.  But the good news is that the virus has decreased in its severity.  We do know how and can treat it.  

Let's not forget that while paying attention with Covid, Influenza is way up as well as both Norovirus and Rotavirus.  All of these three can be much more severe then Covid.

Will be traveling to Alaska, plan to take reasonable and I stress reasonable precautions.  

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I am a physician, age 70+ years and decided to keep my practice open.  Took all precautions, was up to date in respect to Covid Vaccinations, in fact I was one of the first to receive all four of them.

Until last month when I contracted Covid, but fortunately it was no more severe then a mild head cold.  Took Paxlovid and symptoms cleared within one day.

Covid is out there, and extremely contagious.  But the good news is that the virus has decreased in its severity.  We do know how and can treat it.  

Let's not forget that while paying attention with Covid, Influenza is way up as well as both Norovirus and Rotavirus.  All of these three can be much more severe then Covid.

Will be traveling to Alaska, plan to take reasonable and I stress reasonable precautions.  

Are you taking Paxlovid with you?  Some of us can’t get it ahead of a cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Death isn’t the only undesirable outcome. 

The problem is it can’t really be discussed on this board, but there is now lots of information out  there regarding Long Covid and various post Covid health issues. 

You are right we, we are no longer in the Spring of 2020, we know far more now but another problem is that people generally don’t want to know anything more than their belief that ‘it’s mild’ or that ‘it’s over’.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Death isn’t the only undesirable outcome. 

The problem is it can’t really be discussed on this board, but there is now lots of information out  there regarding Long Covid and various post Covid health issues. 

You are right we, we are no longer in the Spring of 2020, we know far more now but another problem is that people generally don’t want to know anything more than their belief that ‘it’s mild’ or that ‘it’s over’.🤷‍♀️

So then, it is one's personal responsibility to determine what risks they are willing to be exposed to and what steps they are willing to take to minimize risk.  If you want to be absolutely certain that you will not contract Covid, then taking a cruise is something you may want to reconsider.  If you go on a cruise and later test positive, blame yourself, not Princess.  It's very simple, we shouldn't overly complicate this issue.

• Like 7

On 6/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, floridababa said:

It seems that the cases are going up and princess once again cannot handle things. I know Island Princess having lots of cases. What about other ships?

Do they not have a plan to keep the passengers informed? Quarantined passengers are not being told anything.

Hope someone starts straightening things or they will be losing passengers in the future.

Wife and I got off the Royal on Saturday and tested positive at home two days later. Fortunately we took the Princess coach transfer to SEA (no testing needed to cross border by land travel at the time.) rather than the transfer from ship to YVR. Didn't want the 10 day Canadian quarantine if positive.

• Thanks 1

I’ve sailed 81 days since the restart with Princess.  I was on the very first sailing last July on the Majestic and most recently got off the Ruby 5 days ago after a 20 day B2B. 

I always kept up to date with all vaccines and boosters. I took the precautions I felt I needed to take under the given circumstances on any particular sailing. I am healthy, 65 with a strong immune system. 

I had a blast on all sailings.  No Covid for me. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Can you please share what precautions that you take. I caught Covid on my last cruise and once was enough.  

12 hours ago, venussuz said:

the 10Q (quarterly filing sent to the SEC) filing for CCL.  You can access it on the SEC Edgar system.

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

So then, it is one's personal responsibility to determine what risks they are willing to be exposed to and what steps they are willing to take to minimize risk.  If you want to be absolutely certain that you will not contract Covid, then taking a cruise is something you may want to reconsider.  If you go on a cruise and later test positive, blame yourself, not Princess.  It's very simple, we shouldn't overly complicate this issue.

Yes and no.  It also comes down to if the cruise line failed to operate to acceptable standards in managing or preventing a disease outbreak.  In other words if they were negligent in failing to take action.

Edited by ldtr

On 6/13/2022 at 6:39 AM, doog442 said:

If you are overly worried about the consequences of catching Covid my advice would be to give a cruising a miss (as some people still are). 

We need to be honest here and admit that a cruise ship is probably the worst place to be for any kind of virus or bug that's surface or air transmittable.

We're now in that grey area where catching the virus is considered part of life but cruise companies are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

At best that is quite speculative.  If through the years one looked at data, noro for example, it is LESS contagious on cruises than for the general population.  It's just that the numbers aren't totaled in most places.

Now, look at covid, many places have high positivity rates.. over 20%.  Care to shoe me that cruises have that high of positivity rates?  You may find some, may.  But the vast majority are much much lower.  In life MANY things aren't as they may appear to be.  And just because something gets repeated time after time, it doesn't make it a fact.

This false narrative of petri dish like cruises needs to stop.  Take your precautions, but spreading speculations does no good for anyone.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 7:09 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I wonder what the positivity rate for the pre-cruise, during cruise, and post cruise covid test is?

Locally, our positivity rate is running around 12 percent and there has been only 1 ICU case in the last five weeks.

The vaccines and therapeutics are doing their job and the covid virus is mutating into a more easily spread and less serious form - much like the seasonal flu.

30-50 Americans die every year from the flu, but the medit doesn't sensationalize it because we have learned to live with it as we will with covid.

Whoops I saw the correction.  Sorry, Can't delete post.

Edited by Redwing55

4 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Wife and I got off the Royal on Saturday and tested positive at home two days later. Fortunately we took the Princess coach transfer to SEA (no testing needed to cross border by land travel at the time.) rather than the transfer from ship to YVR. Didn't want the 10 day Canadian quarantine if positive.

My wife and I decided to skip testing and spend the money on a extra day in Vancouver. Flew home Sunday, took tests to go see grandkids and my wife tested positive. My antigen was neg so I took a PCR. No symptoms except wifes scratchy throat. Yesterday and today wife is negative. Our room steward disappeared 2 days before Vancouver. We were on for 14 days.

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If you go on a cruise and later test positive, blame yourself, not Princess.

I would not blame Princess.

I would blame those who had undetected Covid and were not wearing masks, thus willing to spread the virus all over the ship.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ldtr said:

Was that 56% of total cruise line capacity or just for the ships that had been brought back into service?

Just did sky princess sailing from Southampton on 4th Jan. 

Tested negative before,

All staff wearing masks, most passengers not.

Boat had 3300 passengers

Everything normal except buffet not self serve.

Tested negative when I got back... no problems.

• Like 1