breakfast room service tips

Random Cruizer

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

So the pre-paid tips I pay before sailing are bribes?

No,  I didn’t say that.

Many people on these boards boast that they tip the bar man, at the beginning of the cruise, to ensure that they don’t have to wait for service. That to me is a bribe.😱

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

No,  I didn’t say that.

Many people on these boards boast that they tip the bar man, at the beginning of the cruise, to ensure that they don’t have to wait for service. That to me is a bribe.😱

Yes I agree!

On Reflection starting June 3, the room service folks left the room so quickly it was almost hard to get a tip to them. We do usually tip 2-6 dollars depending on the size of the order but it seemed VERY clear they weren't expecting it. We learned to have the tip IN HAND when the door opened so we don't miss them. I think it is not expected but just an extra nod if you prefer.

• Like 1

I wonder if the prepaid tips on the drink package is yet a way for X to pad their pockets? I am a little fuzzy on the detail, but it was my understanding from talking to a bartender that they only make the tip % (dollars and cents) on the specific drink I actually order and not out of the tips I paid when buying the premium drink package included in the Retreat. 

On 6/14/2022 at 4:35 PM, Dolebludger said:

IDK, but I have taken many tips included cruises (including two on Celebrity suites and others on Regent, Silverseas, and Paul Gauguin, and tips included meant just that that. Does Celebrity not mean it when it states that the AI rate includes all tips?

Our philosophy on tipping is this: standard tips cover standard service,

Extra service equals extra tips.

an example of extra service is someone bringing breakfast to your cabin.
A pot of coffee? Maybe $2 An entire breakfast for 2? probably $5

I’d want five to carry that tray up 7 decks and to the far end of the ship….

• Like 3

All this discussion of AI vs.room service delivery tips seem to turn on the question of whether such delivery is the regular job (or not) of the delivery personnel. If it is, it should be covered by AI. If not, a tip is in order. I don’t mind tipping a few bucks either way. I just think it would be strange if Celebrity did not regard room service delivery as a regular duty of the room steward or some other personnel category. Room service has been a feature on  passenger ships for well over 100 years. Since there is a question here as to whether these service staff members are included in the money guests pay for AI. I merely feel that Celebrity should be more clear in describing what tips AI includes. 

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Since there is a question here as to whether these service staff members are included in the money guests pay for AI. I merely feel that Celebrity should be more clear in describing what tips AI includes. 

There aren't questions, only excuses not to tip. The person delivering the food is likely part of the dining room staff and as such, gets some money out of the main gratuity pool whether one orders room service or not. Some will latch onto that fact and use it as an excuse not to tip. The rest of us properly thank the staff for delivering room service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

All this discussion of AI vs.room service delivery tips seem to turn on the question of whether such delivery is the regular job (or not) of the delivery personnel. If it is, it should be covered by AI. If not, a tip is in order. I don’t mind tipping a few bucks either way. I just think it would be strange if Celebrity did not regard room service delivery as a regular duty of the room steward or some other personnel category. Room service has been a feature on  passenger ships for well over 100 years. Since there is a question here as to whether these service staff members are included in the money guests pay for AI. I merely feel that Celebrity should be more clear in describing what tips AI includes. 

There is no question. Room service from the menu in your cabin is complimentary and the servers get their share of the gratuity.  IF you want to tip more, feel free. However, it is not required if you have pre-paid tips.  No question. just a fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BigTorino said:

I wonder if the prepaid tips on the drink package is yet a way for X to pad their pockets? I am a little fuzzy on the detail, but it was my understanding from talking to a bartender that they only make the tip % (dollars and cents) on the specific drink I actually order and not out of the tips I paid when buying the premium drink package included in the Retreat. 

Assuming 1) that the bartender is correct and 2) that your actual drink consumption (alcohol, coffee, water, etc.) adds up to more than the price of the Classic, then the bartender, coffee server, water supplier, etc. are making more with the 20% on your actual consumption than they would have if they merely shared the 20% gratuity on the Classic Package.

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

There is no question. Room service from the menu in your cabin is complimentary and the servers get their share of the gratuity.  IF you want to tip more, feel free. However, it is not required if you have pre-paid tips.  No question. just a fact.

From Celebrity's website:

Effective November 17, 2020, with the Always Included℠ Pricing Package:
Beverage package gratuities and daily gratuities for Dining Service Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Service Personnel are included as part of Always Included pricing. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard.

Presumably, other Stateroom Service Personnel includes room service delivery.  Additional tips are just that - additional, as may personally be determined appropriately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Looks like a couple of posters may be the same ones who used to remove the daily gratuities a couple of days before the end of the cruise.  

Bang On !!!

If I posted what I " really " think , the Moderator would remove it immediately.

In polite terms ---

Let's say Pinboy ( If I refer to someone specific I could be sent to the CC woodshed for 6yrs ) orders a tray full of " whatever " and it's delivered promptly ( or even a little late ) ---then,  set up for our enjoyment , etc, etc----- How the XXXX can I just say " Thanks " and not hand him/her a few $$. Never mind this AI bs--- It's just an " excuse " to stiff the person ---

Good Luck to those who have no conscience and saved a few $$ !! Yea, You won !!!

End of story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Bang On !!!

If I posted what I " really " think , the Moderator would remove it immediately.

In polite terms ---

Let's say Pinboy ( If I refer to someone specific I could be sent to the CC woodshed for 6yrs ) orders a tray full of " whatever " and it's delivered promptly ( or even a little late ) ---then,  set up for our enjoyment , etc, etc----- How the XXXX can I just say " Thanks " and not hand him/her a few $$. Never mind this AI bs--- It's just an " excuse " to stiff the person ---

Good Luck to those who have no conscience and saved a few $$ !! Yea, You won !!!

End of story. 

That wasn't the original posters question. So....answering his question is not in any way advocating the short changing of the staff.  This is not a "tipping" thread.

Just now, Guppy99 said:

This is not a "tipping" thread.

Agree---

But, If you read the many posts, the thread took a " Left " turn ( as in " I Left no tip 'cause I found an excuse to save $3" ).

LOL--- And, I'm a " good sport "--- When our Server forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same ( in 2013 ) I didn't go to GR to remove the gratuities !!! 

Like those cheapos that dine in Blu and order from the MDR menu and say the gratuities have already been paid.   The server has to leave his guests to walk to another kitchen to get food.  Takes all kinds.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

That wasn't the original posters question. So....answering his question is not in any way advocating the short changing of the staff.  This is not a "tipping" thread.

It certainly is a tipping thread, hence “tip” included in the title, yes it was asked specifically for room service breakfast, but the question was asked about to tip or not, thus it is a tipping thread.  Are they included, perhaps it is gray and not definitive?  But for me I don’t give s*** if they are or not.  A hard working person schlepping my breakfast/coffee and setting it all up in my cabin or balcony, yea they deserve “extra” $5 bucks or so.  You all that struggle with doing the right thing, I know nothing here will change your mind but even if you had room service delivered 1x/day on a 7 day cruise, you’re talking  $35 bucks on a luxury vacation that probably cost you in excess of $5k at least.  Yea I call folks that stiff crew on this cheap, plain and simple.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

It certainly is a tipping thread, hence “tip” included in the title, yes it was asked specifically for room service breakfast, but the question was asked about to tip or not, thus it is a tipping thread.  Are they included, perhaps it is gray and not definitive?  But for me I don’t give s*** if they are or not.  A hard working person schlepping my breakfast/coffee and setting it all up in my cabin or balcony, yea they deserve “extra” $5 bucks or so.  You all that struggle with doing the right thing, I know nothing here will change your mind but even if you had room service delivered 1x/day on a 7 day cruise, you’re talking  $35 bucks on a luxury vacation that probably cost you in excess of $5k at least.  Yea I call folks that stiff crew on this cheap, plain and simple.

Well said!  I recall the lines of people at Guest Relations having the tips removed towards the end of the cruise.  Maybe they will be giving the envelopes full of cash.  But I doubt it.  If someone goes out of their way to. come to my room with a meal and sets it up. or if someone leaves a dining room to go to another kitchen a distance away to get a dish for someone, they SHOULD be shown $ appreciation.  Some posters may be technically correct in the tips are included , but are missing the point.   

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Well said!  I recall the lines of people at Guest Relations having the tips removed towards the end of the cruise.  Maybe they will be giving the envelopes full of cash.  But I doubt it.  If someone goes out of their way to. come to my room with a meal and sets it up. or if someone leaves a dining room to go to another kitchen a distance away to get a dish for someone, they SHOULD be shown $ appreciation.  Some posters may be technically correct in the tips are included , but are missing the point.   

I have no problem tipping but must say that anytime I had room service meals delivered they were never set up . Just a pile of trays dumped on the closest surface. I have had a few breakfasts in CC  and aqua delivered. I did not know that they 'set up'

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Some posters may be technically correct in the tips are included , but are missing the point.   

" technically correct " ?

IMO ( for the xxx time )--- They are just looking , oops, found an excuse to "stiff " the person.

Who the hell do you think is in the GR line on the last day of the cruise ???

3 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Just a pile of trays dumped on the closest surface

" Just a pile of trays "

Perhaps, there was not enough table space to set it up --- 

Either way, a tip is always expected and appreciated.

• Like 1

The rude hyperbole over others' confusion regarding who is included in the prepaid gratuity pool is over the top.  X could very easily clarify who is and who is not already covered to lessen the confusion.