Booking Accessible Rooms

Hi all, 

Have a question about Accessible rooms. Can someone book one of these rooms if they do not have a disability? Does proof of disability need to be provided at time of booking? I've always wondered if people would take these rooms if they didn't need them. If so, why?

4 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

Have a question about Accessible rooms. Can someone book one of these rooms if they do not have a disability? Does proof of disability need to be provided at time of booking? I've always wondered if people would take these rooms if they didn't need them. If so, why?

Any one that does, and it is determined that they are not disabled should be banned for life, and publicly ridiculed on the ship.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

I have a disabled sister who I cruised with a lot. My pvp at carnival said they are not allowed to ask people what their disability is. I think it's against the law to ask.

I've asked for plastic shower chairs to use in regular cabins for instance so I'm marked as disabled somehow because of requests. My sister has balance issues so we get a little chair to sit on and I wash her hair while she hangs onto the bars, so we can manage but there are things you can request to help. Like the shower chair. 

Yes, people do it all the time. It is so sad that they book that cabin for a few extra square feet, rather than have it available for someone with a disability.  

Then  there are some who have some minor issue  and justify the assessable cabin. Again, the cabin is now not available for someone who really needs it

it is my hope that if one day they truly need an accessible cabin, they do not come upon selfish people such as themselves 

m

• Like 2

We were in an accessible cabin once.  It was a last minute cruise and we wanted an aft balcony.  Only ones still available were the accessible ones.  Because we were only 5 weeks out the cruise line booked us in one of those cabins, knowing that neither of us has a disability.   Turned out that several others in that category were empty at the time of sailing so I'm sure they just wanted the revenue.   I would never intentionally book this cabin category on my own.

My wife is a stroke survivor and absolutely needs an accessible room. We don't fly any more so we cruise out of Cape Liberty all the time. Not looking for sympathy, life happens. That being said, we know where most accessible cabins are located on the Anthem and Oasis. You'd be surprised how many times we ads those cabins going to ours and see two seemingly healthy people walking in or out of them.  Than there's the tables in the Windjammer and seating at the shows. They are clearly marked as accessible but people take them because of their location. I m not saying all cruisers do, but quite a few do.

Whoa! Given the big upcharge I had to pay for that accessible cabin when I was still wheelchair-bound a few weeks before my May cruise, I can't see people plunking down that kind of cash unless they are getting a suite with suite perks. Granted, the only one available was the "spacious" oceanview, but I've paid far less for a junior suite and at least got double points with it.

25 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Whoa! Given the big upcharge I had to pay for that accessible cabin when I was still wheelchair-bound a few weeks before my May cruise, I can't see people plunking down that kind of cash unless they are getting a suite with suite perks. Granted, the only one available was the "spacious" oceanview, but I've paid far less for a junior suite and at least got double points with it.

That is a different category and even the regular ones are often priced similar to Junior suites.   The accessible cabins are pretty much the same price as their counterparts from my experience.  So accessible OV balcony without the bunk beds is priced like the other OV cabins of the similar category.  

3 hours ago, mets123 said:

My wife is a stroke survivor and absolutely needs an accessible room. We don't fly any more so we cruise out of Cape Liberty all the time. Not looking for sympathy, life happens. That being said, we know where most accessible cabins are located on the Anthem and Oasis. You'd be surprised how many times we ads those cabins going to ours and see two seemingly healthy people walking in or out of them.  Than there's the tables in the Windjammer and seating at the shows. They are clearly marked as accessible but people take them because of their location. I m not saying all cruisers do, but quite a few do.

I have a family member in the same situation as your wife.  My experiences resemble yours.  

3 hours ago, mets123 said:

You'd be surprised how many times we ads those cabins going to ours and see two seemingly healthy people walking in or out of them.

But we cannot determine if these people intentionally book this cabin.

Sometimes if you book a guarantee cabin, Royal Caribbean will assign an accessible cabin to you because there is no more regular rooms available.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

If HC cabin is available after final payment, pretty much anyone is available to book the cabin. If a HC person wants to cruise they should know long before final payment they are going on a cruise. If they can't find a HC cabin once inside the final payment time, they should look for another ship and sailing date for one.

I booked an accessible cabin.  I was able to book it but then was sent several pages to fill out and send to Royal to be sure that I qualified.  I decided not to go through that and moved to a different  cabin.  So yes, they do have you verify that you need the accessible cabin,

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If HC cabin is available after final payment, pretty much anyone is available to book the cabin. If a HC person wants to cruise they should know long before final payment they are going on a cruise. If they can't find a HC cabin once inside the final payment time, they should look for another ship and sailing date for one.

Not all HC people “know long before final payment” if they will be physically able to cruise. My mother, who is 87 and wheelchair bound, often books cruises later than the final payment date based on of her health.  Cruises booked far in advance often conflict with needed medical care when the cruise finally rolls around. Fortunately, RC has always been able to accommodate us with a handicapped cabin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

But we cannot determine if these people intentionally book this cabin.

Sometimes if you book a guarantee cabin, Royal Caribbean will assign an accessible cabin to you because there is no more regular rooms available.

Of course not.  But in general we know it happens.  You also can’t judge one specific chair hog scenario.  Maybe an emergency popped up.  Maybe they got sidetracked and were gone for a while unintentionally.  Maybe lunch or breakfast took much longer than expected.  But we all know a lot of people intentionally hold chairs for hours before using them just for their own convenience.   Most or all of these situations are chair hogs pure and simple.  

Some folks definitely push the boundaries on cabin type because they selfishly want the extra space.  It is despicable behavior. And I’m not talking about them assigning one because it is close to cruise time and it is still available.  That is totally different.   I’ve read posts on CC here from self described overweight, but otherwise able body people asking if they should book an accessible cabin because at their size it is harder to shower in the stall.  And many encourage them to do it.  I don’t know the right and wrong on that, but it would seem accessible cabins for those who can’t walk or can’t step over even the smallest threshold shouldn’t be used for those who find the small shower uncomfortable.  There are other options, albeit more expensive.  But for someone needing an accessible shower and the other varying differences associated with an accessible cabin, even a grand suite doesn’t work.  They need an accessible cabin wether it is a regular cabin or suite.  

Is what it is.  We live in a soft country where few are held accountable for their actions.  People just walk out of stores with shopping carts full of stolen goods as security just watches helplessly.  Varying companies face frivolous law suits every day.  There are seemingly zero repercussions for so much bad behavior nowadays.  The list goes on and on.  That is our culture unfortunately.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueeyescruiser said:

Not all HC people “know long before final payment” if they will be physically able to cruise. My mother, who is 87 and wheelchair bound, often books cruises later than the final payment date based on of her health.  Cruises booked far in advance often conflict with needed medical care when the cruise finally rolls around. Fortunately, RC has always been able to accommodate us with a handicapped cabin.

Sounds good,she has been lucky to find availability on the cruises she wants to go on..That is not always the case.

6 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

It is flat-out illegal to charge more for accessible facilities.  You have to compare apples to apples, not oranges.  

• Like 2

I have severe arthritis and use a walker sometimes, a wheelchair sometimes, and sometimes I do well enough to use just a cane.  We try to always book sic months to a year out to make sure we get an accessible cabin.  We are booked with a group in October out of New York and no accessible rooms to be had when we booked in February.  The TA is keeping a look out for us, but my balance is very bad and I've been known to fall in a shower, not to mention having room if I have to bring my wheelchair.  I know Royal will get me a shower chair, but I won't be able to rent a scooter. 

9 hours ago, mets123 said:

You'd be surprised how many times we ads those cabins going to ours and see two seemingly healthy people walking in or out of them.

My mother uses a wheelchair full time when not at home. On our first cruise, I booked us an accessible cabin - with my parents in the bed and me in the Pullman over the couch. There were definitely times my father and I left the cabin to do something while my mother read. Just because there are two non-disabled people doesn't mean there isn't someone who does need it, as at least accessible interior cabins on some ships have Pullmans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kjunea said:

I have severe arthritis and use a walker sometimes, a wheelchair sometimes, and sometimes I do well enough to use just a cane.  We try to always book sic months to a year out to make sure we get an accessible cabin.  We are booked with a group in October out of New York and no accessible rooms to be had when we booked in February.  The TA is keeping a look out for us, but my balance is very bad and I've been known to fall in a shower, not to mention having room if I have to bring my wheelchair.  I know Royal will get me a shower chair, but I won't be able to rent a scooter. 

Unless you're on an old/small ship, you CAN fit a scooter into a regular balcony room that has the bed by the balcony.  

We were on the Explorer, pre covid. An office came to check if we actually needed the accessible cabin that we had booked. I know this because the officer told me. I don't know if the officer was checking on just us or if he was checking all the accessible cabins.

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Unless you're on an old/small ship, you CAN fit a scooter into a regular balcony room that has the bed by the balcony.  

But for people who can’t walk or stand up, is there enough room to transfer to a walker or a wheel chair?

1 minute ago, topnole said:

But for people who can’t walk or stand up, is there enough room to transfer to a walker or a wheel chair?

Yes, I've even turned one completely in a circle.

If the room has a coffee table, just ask to have it moved out of the room if you need more space.