Flight by Celebrity Baggage Charges

CruiserN1

I booked through FBC using my United Mileage Plus card thinking that I would get the usual free checked bag for myself and spouse. I just checked on my flight (which is in 2 weeks) and it's showing we have to pay $30/each for the first checked bag. I messaged UA on Twitter and was told that FBC bought the tickets and I paid Celebrity, not UA, using my MP Visa, so no free bags. It seems that they are now saying you only get a free checked bag if you book directly with United. I thought I'd post this to warn others. 

As far as I know United cards have always only given you free bags if booked through United.  Some airlines tie free bags to your airline account or allow any purchase (like a seat upgrade) to trigger free bags.

From United:

Benefit Overview

Don’t worry about overhead space anymore. Check your bag for free and save up to $140 roundtrip. The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free - calculated as a $35 value for the first checked bag, each way, per person - on United-operated flights when purchasing tickets with their United Explorer Card.

Edited by LeeW
more

I would have to agree with United on this one.   FBC is acting as a consolidator and you contracted and paid Celebrity using your credit card not United.   I had  similar issue booking on Iberia for a code share with BA and even though my ticket said 1 bag free BA said NO...and charged $80

On the positive side I have high status with United and even when booked with Celebrity they honor my status and free baggage allowance with United.

Your problem may be a good warning to others on another disadvantage of booking with FBC when you can get the same rate direct with the airlines.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

It just says "when purchased with your United card" not "directly through United."

I agree with Jim.  You did not purchase your flights with your United Card.  (I am sure that Celebrity did not use your card to actually purchase the flights). This as always been the case.  

Fly United where it does not make any difference how you purchase your flights or which card you use.  The benefit is linked automatically to your FF account.

FBC constantly displays that economy fares don't include baggage yet the reservation books in a fare type that will actually include bags.

They even show this for airlines that have a standard allowance for everyone such as Qatar Airways or Thai.

12 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

I booked through FBC using my United Mileage Plus card thinking that I would get the usual free checked bag for myself and spouse. I just checked on my flight (which is in 2 weeks) and it's showing we have to pay $30/each for the first checked bag. I messaged UA on Twitter and was told that FBC bought the tickets and I paid Celebrity, not UA, using my MP Visa, so no free bags. It seems that they are now saying you only get a free checked bag if you book directly with United. I thought I'd post this to warn others. 

Thanks for the warning as I have also booked United flights thru FBC for Oct/Nov.  However the FBC agent warned me about it at the time of booking (it's still cheaper to buy thru FBC even with the bag charges factored in). 

Edited by mahdnc

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Fly United where it does not make any difference how you purchase your flights or which card you use.  The benefit is linked automatically to your FF account.

The OP and others were also talking about United.  Were you by chance talking about Delta who's Amex card is linked to the FF account and you don't need to use that Amex to book flights to still get the free bags?

So are you saying that as long as my FF number is in the reservation, , the free bag coverage is intact? We/ve been flying business class so baggage included, but due to prices will probably be going Delta Choice. 

23 minutes ago, 39august said:

So are you saying that as long as my FF number is in the reservation, , the free bag coverage is intact? We/ve been flying business class so baggage included, but due to prices will probably be going Delta Choice. 

I just booked flights to Europe through FBC on Delta.  I chose Delta Premium and it included the baggage allowance.  I was able to select seats and they all appear when I login in on Delta and now I have linked our FF numbers.  So far happy with choosing Delta.  

7 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I agree with Jim.  You did not purchase your flights with your United Card.  (I am sure that Celebrity did not use your card to actually purchase the flights). This as always been the case.  

No, it has not always been the case. I've booked through channels other than United multiple times in years past and also have booked through United and used other credit cards in the past and always got a free checked bag. It used to be linked to the FF number, like Delta and American does. United is getting worse and worse. I'm going to tell Chase to cancel my card as it's useless to pay $99/year and only be able to book through United.

FWIW if you have to pay for bags it might often times be a good deal to upgrade at least one segment to First Class and get the baggage charge waived. Did that recently for a non Premier status friend. Upgrade to First was only $70. Cheaper than two bags.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 39august said:

In my experience yes.   But I'm a 2 Million Mile Traveler with lifetime Platinum so ma be different for other. 

. As for AMEX account without status I have no knowledge and hope others can give advise.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

In my experience yes.   But I'm a 2 Million Mile Traveler with lifetime Platinum so ma be different for other. 

. As for AMEX account without status I have no knowledge and hope others can give advise.

Jim, things are changing too fast to know.   Back In ancient times when I flew for work got a few million miles and membership like you. United no longer honors it.  American sometimes when I show my card at the gate. TWA - oh well.  And was told no with AMEX last year.  This year probably all depends on the personnel at check in.

28 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Jim, things are changing too fast to know.   Back In ancient times when I flew for work got a few million miles and membership like you. United no longer honors it.  American sometimes when I show my card at the gate. TWA - oh well.  And was told no with AMEX last year.  This year probably all depends on the personnel at check in.

Huh? A few million miles is usually lifetime membership with UA (1Mio = LT Premier Gold) just like with Delta and American. Wasn't TWA migrated over to American AAdvantage back in the day?

Amex doesn't carry any special benefits except for the Delta co-branded one which requires the attached FFN to be added to the reservation. Amex Platinum also allows for SkyClub access.

As much as I hate flying American Airlines I did not have to pay bags fees last year on our FBC booked economy seats because we have the American Airlines Advantage Platinum Select card. When we checked-in online and added our bags, the notation came up that we were "Advantage Platinum Select" and not subject to bags fees. I was surprised, but I still hate flying AA.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, TBurr said:

Thanks for the heads up, I did it for AA with the AA card and wondered if I would get free bags, I guess not.

I did not get the free luggage when I booked cruise line air with my AA card!  

On 6/19/2022 at 8:11 PM, jagoffee said:

I apologize.  This should have said fly AA where it does not matter where you purchase the flight.  
unite has the purchase with your card requirement.

4 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

I did not get the free luggage when I booked cruise line air with my AA card!  

If your AA included a free checked bag when you own the appropriate CC, perhaps you did not have your FF number linked to your reservation.  Although I created confusion with my typo, you do not need to use your CC to get the free checked bag with AA.