Lack of staff- Ventura

Laurenish

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I board Regal Princess on Saturday in Barcelona.  Sailing looks about 60% full.  The ex UK departures seem to have more passengers- assumedly as UK passengers more willing to travel in covid era.  

Obviously more passengers means staff more thinly spread so this might impact.

I will report back.

Sending you our best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Broadside said:

Whereas P and O were not crewed up in anticipation of all the cruises it had sold on Arcadia. 

Actually, on the one and only Arcadia cruise in March, the service levels were fine,  even if the ship had issues  !

The issue was with the other other ships in the fleet.  Arcadia was "sacrificed " in an attempt to improve service levels in the other P&O ships.

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

Interestingly, I am off on a different “ cruise” next week… a Brittany Ferry! And I am hearing of some of their restaurants not being open…in particular the main restaurant on Bretagne. Reasons given are staff shortages and supply chain issues…. I am returning on Bretagne on a day crossing from St Malo and if what I am hearing is true, only the buffet is open until midday…resulting in it being manic… and with the prospect of a further 6 hours on board and no hot food available after midday. I hope this just rumour…as we will have a 3 hour drive when we finally get off and I don't fancy a stop at Burger King on the way home! 
Its not just P & O …..

On their website it says the restaurants on the Mont St Michel and Normandie are closed no mention of closure on the Bretagne.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ships/onboard/dining-and-bars

Well Saga ships are not only fully crewed, but all restaurants are open and all menu choices available. The difference in the latter with P&O etc may be however, that they are more flexible with menus and don't have a corporate chef dictating what dishes are served. On my last cruise there were virtually equal numbers of crew to passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Well Saga ships are not only fully crewed, but all restaurants are open and all menu choices available. The difference in the latter with P&O etc may be however, that they are more flexible with menus and don't have a corporate chef dictating what dishes are served. On my last cruise there were virtually equal numbers of crew to passengers.

About the same on Celebrity Edge. One or two of the more expensive wines became short supply because Suite guests were taking full advantage of their included package.  Nothing else closed or not able to offer full menu.

That cruise was a full service offering. Should be remembered also that it was fully included with no alcohol limitations or restriction on amounts so if things were going to run out they surely would.

Just had this from P&O today as we are on Ventura in 2 weeks time so looks like thare will be some issues

Your summer at sea...

We’re so delighted you’ll be on board with us this summer. If you’ve sailed with us before, we can’t wait to welcome you back. If it’s your first holiday with us, we’re thrilled you’ve chosen P&O Cruises and hope you’ll have a fantastic time.

As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages. Cruise ships are no exception. Despite this, we are, of course, fully committed to giving you the most wonderful holiday possible while we may have to make the occasional change. Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants are being affected as well as service in some bars. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated.

Ashore, you’ll find we still have incredible adventures in stunning destinations for you to discover those moments that really matter. There are also a number of new experiences across our ships for you to enjoy such as new menus, extra entertainment, special guests and activities (plus all the usual P&O Cruises favourites). It’s going to be a spectacular summer at sea!

• Thanks 1

In one way it’s good that they are letting customers know in advance but they should also be telling customers what they are actually doing about it to provide the cruise you booked.

They are offering a lesser service so there should be some cost reduction surely. The global shortages and supply chain issues were a known factor when the cruise was being sold surely but web sites etc still advertise the full package of facilities. 

Many of the cruise lines are still selling shiny things and great service that they simply can’t deliver. Surely their promotion materials should reflect this so customers can decide to buy or not to buy.

I have a habit of keeping screen shots/ brochures for cruises from the day I book. It has come in handy a number of times.

Im sure you will still have a great holiday.

• Like 4

logged into my cruise found this so hopefully will be able to make some dining reservation for Sindu etc

will keep you informed still looking forward to cruise though and yes i am sure we will have great holiday 

thank you

As your safety and well-being is our top priority, we have enhanced measures in place, including reduced capacity online dining reservations. You will be able to make reservations from 2nd July 2022.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just got this for my 22 December 2023 Arvia cruise!!!!!!

Covering all bases then ....

Well at least people have the chance to cancel before the final payment, which in my case I would.

We don’t travel with P&O much now but if we do we tend to eat most nights in the speciality dining or Glass House. 

The world has gone crazy.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well at least people have the chance to cancel before the final payment, which in my case I would.

We don’t travel with P&O much now but if we do we tend to eat most nights in the speciality dining or Glass House. 

The world has gone crazy.

It’s like we have all been flipped across into a parallel universe where things are the opposite of what they used to be.

I watch a lot of YouTube cruise and holiday videos and just going back to 2019 is like looking at a totally different planet.

I think the decision we made not to cruise until mid 2023 at the earliest could well have been the correct decision, given the missing ports, closed restaurants, reduced facilities & staff shortages. We have had 3 U.K. land based self catering holidays in the last year, that way we were in full control all the time. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Mysticalmother said:

Interestingly, I am off on a different “ cruise” next week… a Brittany Ferry! And I am hearing of some of their restaurants not being open…in particular the main restaurant on Bretagne. Reasons given are staff shortages and supply chain issues…. I am returning on Bretagne on a day crossing from St Malo and if what I am hearing is true, only the buffet is open until midday…resulting in it being manic… and with the prospect of a further 6 hours on board and no hot food available after midday. I hope this just rumour…as we will have a 3 hour drive when we finally get off and I don't fancy a stop at Burger King on the way home! 
Its not just P & O …..

Ok,  I have done this crossing 3 times in the last 6 weeks and will be again on Sunday.  The situation has been consistent regarding the day crossing back to UK.  Despite Brittany Ferries telling everyone the main restaurant will be open for "brunch" until 12 midday, it has been closed.  The self service or canteen has however been open serving hot food between 2 time slots starting at (I think) 11:30am and something like 4pm.  You amy still wish to get your Burger King but there has been an option. 

7 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

We have booked a cruise with Saga for next year, so good to hear that they seem to be fully operational.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

It’s like we have all been flipped across into a parallel universe where things are the opposite of what they used to be.

I watch a lot of YouTube cruise and holiday videos and just going back to 2019 is like looking at a totally different planet.

We just returned from Britannia and our view was that things were very similar to pre covid. Yes we had to do a pre cruise test, and after a few cases of covid occured, mask wearing was requested unless eating or drinking. 

But the MDR and buffet food was almost normal, OK we were perhaps fortunate that all venues were open, and indeed the speciality restaurants were probably fuller than usual.

We were also impressed that cleaning standards had improved, and we found the staff were as friendly as ever, and we are certainly looking forward to our next cruise in October.

• Like 14

In response to feedback, all speciality restaurants are now not opening for booking in advance until a lot nearer sailing to avoid people booking and being cancelled. This is once crew availability schedules are more final.

Also, cruises due to depart soon appear to now be book on board and the emails are going out to explain the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

In response to feedback, all speciality restaurants are now not opening for booking in advance until a lot nearer sailing to avoid people booking and being cancelled. This is once crew availability schedules are more final.

Also, cruises due to depart soon appear to now be book on board and the emails are going out to explain the situation.

Locally we seem to have a shortage of chefs. Is this a problem on the ships. When we were on there were certainly lots of wait staff in the bars we used on Ventura. Of course that was before the return of Arcadia.

9 hours ago, solentsam said:

Just had this from P&O today as we are on Ventura in 2 weeks time so looks like thare will be some issues

Your summer at sea...

We’re so delighted you’ll be on board with us this summer. If you’ve sailed with us before, we can’t wait to welcome you back. If it’s your first holiday with us, we’re thrilled you’ve chosen P&O Cruises and hope you’ll have a fantastic time.

As you’ll have seen in the media, and perhaps experienced in many hospitality and leisure venues in the UK, there are currently supply chain challenges as well as global staff shortages. Cruise ships are no exception. Despite this, we are, of course, fully committed to giving you the most wonderful holiday possible while we may have to make the occasional change. Currently, opening days and times in our speciality restaurants are being affected as well as service in some bars. Please bear with us – your patience is hugely appreciated.

Ashore, you’ll find we still have incredible adventures in stunning destinations for you to discover those moments that really matter. There are also a number of new experiences across our ships for you to enjoy such as new menus, extra entertainment, special guests and activities (plus all the usual P&O Cruises favourites). It’s going to be a spectacular summer at sea!

Yeah we got the same thing today, no great surprise after reading this forum for the past few months

6 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I think the decision we made not to cruise until mid 2023 at the earliest could well have been the correct decision, given the missing ports, closed restaurants, reduced facilities & staff shortages. We have had 3 U.K. land based self catering holidays in the last year, that way we were in full control all the time. 

We have had three cruises in the last nine months. Two, on Princess, were great,  one (Arcadia) was a bit iffy. 

Unfortunately you do tend to hear more about cruises that have issues,  rather than those that are faultless. 

Your decision of course,  but many of us have had great cruises,  with no closed restaurants,  no missed ports, and no shortage of staff.  Unfortunately,  all the good cruises don't get any publicity.

• Like 6

Issues do arise sometimes, with any holidays.  They always have.  I’m old enough to remember those half built Spanish hotels in the 1970s, and holidays booked on the basis of artists’ impressions in brochures. And Clarksons, Cosmos, Horizon, Intasun etc..

What really matters though is how companies handle these problems, and what they do for the customers affected - who have after all paid a full price based on full provision of what was promised. I can remember getting some pretty substantial refunds from traditional holiday companies for inadequately fulfilled contracts - I wonder what P&O will be offering?

• Like 5

Very doubtful you ever have a faultless cruise. A cruise is made of many more things than just the ship. I have been on a few old tugs and had wonderful cruises. It is made up of the company you keep, the atmosphere, the entertainment, shore days, staff, food and drink and what you actually make it. If your attitude before you go is I'm going to enjoy this cruise then you most likely will. If on the other hand you view it with trepidation, chances are you won't. Whilst I appreciate that staff can only be in one place at once I do think that it is a bit naff that all venues aren't open. But as I say, we must make the most of it as if and when we cruise we are lucky in this climate to be able to afford the luxury of this form of holiday and to visit places some can only dream about. I have been to New York four times and if lucky enough I will go again especially as they are now stopping off for three day's. Last time, now in my 70's I did too much in the two day's. We did the Natural History Museum, then on to Times Square and then walked to Macy's which someone told us was just a short walk. The following day we went to the Hamptons. All very nice, but I need to pace myself more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Issues do arise sometimes, with any holidays.  They always have.  I’m old enough to remember those half built Spanish hotels in the 1970s, and holidays booked on the basis of artists’ impressions in brochures. And Clarksons, Cosmos, Horizon, Intasun etc..

What really matters though is how companies handle these problems, and what they do for the customers affected - who have after all paid a full price based on full provision of what was promised. I can remember getting some pretty substantial refunds from traditional holiday companies for inadequately fulfilled contracts - I wonder what P&O will be offering?

We arrived at one of these half finished hotels, reminded me of the “Are you being Served” Costa Plonka experience.

The more often you cruise the more chances there are that you will experience issues and yes it is how it is handled that really counts and brings customers back.

Cunard had to change one of our cruises after a dry dock and what had been booked as a 14 day Med cruise became a shorter Northern Europe cruise with most of the ship taken over by a large group. We got the option to cancel with a full refund and additional FCC or go with a generous OBC. We went and had a ball.

• Like 2