Bermuda $40 Fee is Taking Advantage

RIcruiseGuy

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Your government also requires cruisers calling on your country to be tested for COVID .

Yes you are correct. I’m sure there a lot of cruisers having the same testing stress as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GarCat88 said:

I agree!  I certainly don’t mind paying the $40, it’s the testing that stresses me. We are on a October TA and I am hoping there are changes to testing. 

8 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Your government also requires cruisers calling on your country to be tested for COVID .

Out of curiosity - does “our government” require you to complete an application and charge a fee?

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Out of curiosity - does “our government” require you to complete an application and charge a fee?

Doesn't matter. We weren't talking about the US. You and the poster to whom I replied were complaining about Bermuda requiring testing and I pointed out to that poster, who is Canadian, that their government does the same.

By the way in your post you didn't seem to care about the $40, just the testing. Apparently you do care about $40 because you just mentioned it.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Im not bothered about the $40 but it’s the testing requirements that are stressful and stop me looking forward to my cruises. 

I was so relieved that Europe cruises dropped testing for my cruise last month. I could actually look forward to it, rather than “what if’s and contingency plans” 

I cruised in Oct last year and January, May and July this year and the testing before cruises was awful and stressful. 

Now pleased to see US have dropped testing, yet my heart sunk when I realised Bermuda is a port stop on my westbound in Dec and eastbound in May. 

Im not bothered at all about Bermuda and hope the cruise ships just avoid that country in the future. In the meantime I’ll keep my fingers crossed they change their rules. 

• Like 4

Our November 1st TA just changed the itinerary, dropping Bermuda for an additional stop in the Azores.

A number of people from our Roll Call page (as well as the site that cannot be named) conducted an email campaign to the CEO of NCL asking that Bermuda be dropped, due to their inane rules.

Bermuda was the final stop on a 16 day cruise, one which would have been only seven hours, and would have required a lot of hoop-jumping. It was an afterthought to most of us, as we booked this cruise to see Italy, Spain, France and Portugal. Bermuda was just someplace to break up the sea days.

Now we have no testing requirements for our entire cruise (we would have been required to be tested before embarking in Rome, three weeks before landing in Bermuda). That was followed by an additional test (at $95 per person) to be done two days before landing there. Not to mention the ridiculous $40 money grab.

We are breathing a sigh of relief. Christmas has come early. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Our November 1st TA just changed the itinerary, dropping Bermuda for an additional stop in the Azores.

A number of people from our Roll Call page (as well as the site that cannot be named) conducted an email campaign to the CEO of NCL asking that Bermuda be dropped, due to their inane rules.

Bermuda was the final stop on a 16 day cruise, one which would have been only seven hours, and would have required a lot of hoop-jumping.  

I agree that it makes sense for a cruise line to drop a short port call to Bermuda scheduled for late in a TA.  No reason to put everyone thru the hassle of applying for the Bermuda Travel Authorization, having a pre-cruise test, and then testing on board for that short port call.  But I disagree for the reasons I've stated many times with your characterization of "the ridiculous $40 money grab" (down from $75 last year, btw)  -- Bermuda is a small island nation trying to protect its residents from covid, while also trying to balance the economic importance of tourism.   (I'm sure you are paying a good amount of $$$ for your trip over to Europe and your nice long cruise from the Med to the east coast of the U.S.   And yet you are whining about this particular $40.  SMH.)

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm sure you are paying a good amount of $$$ for your trip over to Europe and your nice long cruise from the Med to the east coast of the U.S.   And yet you are whining about this particular $40.  SMH.)

You can shake your head all you want, but the $40 (actually $80 for two of us, but who's counting? Oh wait, you are) is the least of my worries. Most of my worries were about the testing requirements. In any case, any negative comments are not going to wipe this huge smile off my face and the weight lifted off our shoulders with this excellent news.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

You can shake your head all you want, but the $40 (actually $80 for two of us, but who's counting? Oh wait, you are) is the least of my worries. Most of my worries were about the testing requirements. In any case, any negative comments are not going to wipe this huge smile off my face and the weight lifted off our shoulders with this excellent news.

I'm happy for you.  I've cruised twice since the re-start and the concerns and anxieties about test requirements are real, and I don't fault you for having and expressing them.   But you undermined yourself with your whining about $40 and accusing Bermuda of a money grab.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:16 PM, schmoopie17 said:

Im so wel Jel and pleased for you 🙂 I just wish NCL would drop Bermuda too 

I dont care to visit it at all tbh xx

I wish our cruise would divert from Bermuda also, fingers crossed.  Actually I wish ALL cruise ships divert from their country until they realize how stupid the govt. is. Being able to control the WHOLE cruise and stating you cannot even get on at your embarkation unless you do what THEY want to to do because one stop is to their little island is shocking to me. How is this possible.  Please someone explain this to me as I just don't understand how the have total control of this  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shipmate13 said:

Please someone explain this to me as I just don't understand how the have total control of this  

Soverign governements control who enters their courntry and territorial waters. Bermuda has the right to decide and set requirements just like the United States has requirements and controls who can enter the US. None can embark on a ship or airline to the US who does not meet US requirements. The US requirement includes a travel authorization. Some countries only require passports. Others also require visas. Some have an electronic travel authorization document. The airlines or cruise lines won't let you board without the required documents. It is not about you. If you can't understand that then perhaps you should not travel internationally. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Soverign governements control who enters their courntry and territorial waters. Bermuda has the right to decide and set requirements just like the United States has requirements and controls who can enter the US. None can embark on a ship or airline to the US who does not meet US requirements. The US requirement includes a travel authorization. Some countries only require passports. Others also require visas. Some have an electronic travel authorization document. The airlines or cruise lines won't let you board without the required documents. It is not about you. If you can't understand that then perhaps you should not travel internationally. 

they do have the right to control who comes into there country and they have made it that you must have a mandatory test if your on a cruise that is 4 days or longer 2 days before you get there .. what is a problem that on some transatlantic crossings and one that I am on the because of Bermuda we have to take a pay for a test 12 days before we reach the island. That's right 12 days.  That is a meaning less test as well as that making all 3,000 people on the ship pay $44 even if they decide not to get off the ship. while making everyone on the ship take a covid test 2 days before the ship gets there .. once again even if you don't get off 

they could make it simple .. if you want to get off pay the 44 dollars and take the test 2 days before you get there ? what's wrong with that . ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyinoc said:

what is a problem that on some transatlantic crossings and

I don't disagree.  I am only answering the question of how thay have the right.  It appears that NCL is canceling the Bermuda stop on transatlantics and I would not be surprised if Bermuda is canceled on the other cruise lines with transatlantic itineraries with a stop there. They will have to live with any repercussions from their requirements. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, RIcruiseGuy said:

Is it just me?  I find that that $40pp fee to register with Bermuda for Covid vaccination proof is pretty ridiculous.  Yet I can't find anyone else whining about it on the boards other than me!  lol  

We have to show proof of negative Covid prior to boarding with our cruise lines, so it's safe to say that anyone arriving in Bermuda by a cruise company that enforces vaccination requirements is assuredly vaccinated and testing negative.  Why does Bermuda need a separate confirmation of their own that is just the exact same information the Cruise companies already have already collected?  Do they not trust the cruise companies?

And the $40 fee?!   In the overall cost of a cruise vacation this is a minor expense, but I resent having to pay it!  I understand it underwrites the cost of Bermuda having to administer this program, but surely the costs don't come to $40 per traveler, and the whole thing feels like a cash grab.

Yeah not very happy i just paid for my family of 6 😞 what an unusual hoop when the cruise line already makes ya show proof

On 6/20/2022 at 11:07 AM, RIcruiseGuy said:

Is it just me?  I find that that $40pp fee to register with Bermuda for Covid vaccination proof is pretty ridiculous.  Yet I can't find anyone else whining about it on the boards other than me!  lol  

We have to show proof of negative Covid prior to boarding with our cruise lines, so it's safe to say that anyone arriving in Bermuda by a cruise company that enforces vaccination requirements is assuredly vaccinated and testing negative.  Why does Bermuda need a separate confirmation of their own that is just the exact same information the Cruise companies already have already collected?  Do they not trust the cruise companies?

And the $40 fee?!   In the overall cost of a cruise vacation this is a minor expense, but I resent having to pay it!  I understand it underwrites the cost of Bermuda having to administer this program, but surely the costs don't come to $40 per traveler, and the whole thing feels like a cash grab.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:07 AM, RIcruiseGuy said:

5 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Shooting themselves in the foot. Good to see the good people of Bermuda pushing back. But like they say, too little, too late. If they would drop the inane fee and form (have to pay the fee and complete the form regardless if you stay on the ship) and testing requirements, I would welcome our November TA reverting back to Bermuda. However, it appears that bridge has been crossed. I don't have a huge problem with the two-day before disembarkation testing requirement, but making the entire ship be tested at embarkation in Rome (when no other NCL Rome departures require testing...and three weeks before landing in Bermuda) is nuts.  

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, alohayall said:

Residents of Bermuda also have to pay the $40 and get the Authorisation.  It’s not just us tourists. Not really a choice if you want to return home.

Which to me is even more outrageous than charging tourists. It's not uncommon for visitors to a country to have to pay for a visa, but nowhere do citizens have to pay for  visas in order to return to their own country.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Which to me is even more outrageous than charging tourists. It's not uncommon for visitors to a country to have to pay for a visa, but nowhere do citizens have to pay for  visas in order to return to their own country.

You worded exactly where I was heading with the thought (I had brain freeze coming up with outrageous). Thanks. And totally agree.

• Like 3