Bermuda $40 Fee is Taking Advantage

RIcruiseGuy

4 hours ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

I totally agree, however my frustration is that they seem to not have the resources for the demand.

I hear ya but it's pretty much the same as anything else right now in the travel sector. Check into a 5 star hotel you're paying a ton for right now and 9/10 it'll be a bit underwhelming compared to before. Your cruise ship will most likely be understaffed and overstressed. Domestic airlines are cancelling 1000 flights a day right now and cutting routes. It's not necessarily a Bermuda thing. 

We are on a westbound TA at the end of September. It’s Their choice to extort $40 per person and require testing.  We will pay it, but cancel our excursion in the same breath.  Charge me $80, and we will stay on the ship.  The excursion was a total of $190 for the two of us. Hope they are happy with the trade off.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, photosport said:

We are on a westbound TA at the end of September. It’s Their choice to extort $40 per person and require testing.  We will pay it, but cancel our excursion in the same breath.  Charge me $80, and we will stay on the ship.  The excursion was a total of $190 for the two of us. Hope they are happy with the trade off.  

Ever heard the expression cut off your nose to spite your face? I think that applies if you stay on the ship. No one will notice if you don't take the excursion and it won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, photosport said:

Why are you going on the cruise then?  But it's your choice to stay onboard and miss out.

Edited by moposh
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, leen50 said:

Just heard on Cruise Radio News, Bermuda is lifting their Protocols beginning August 22. 

I have no idea what you heard, but Bermuda is not lifting its protocols. Several days ago, Bermuda announced changes to the Travel Authorization rules, effective August 22, that will allow unvaxxed travelers to visit the country, subject to testing requirements and proof of travel health insurance.  The existing rules for vaxxed guests remain unchanged.   The details are at this link (and have been discussed extensively elsewhere on CC, including in this forum): 

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I have no idea what you heard, but Bermuda is not lifting its protocols. Several days ago, Bermuda announced changes to the Travel Authorization rules, effective August 22, that will allow unvaxxed travelers to visit the country, subject to testing requirements and proof of travel health insurance.  The existing rules for vaxxed guests remain unchanged.   The details are at this link (and have been discussed extensively elsewhere on CC, including in this forum): 

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Sorry for the error. I thought it was good news. We took our family to Bermuda in June and I spent $360 for the 9 of us. Won't be returning any time soon.

I'll rewatch the Cruise news video and see what I misunderstood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Asking why you are going on a cruise then is a stupid question!  Bermuda is not the only port the cruise ships are going to.  I have booked several cruises for SOME if not most of the ports but that doesn't mean you like ALL of them.  If a port is included on the itinerary that I don't care about, I just don't get off the ship and enjoy the peace.  I am booked on a cruise with several friends on Celebrity and Bermuda happens to be a stop.  I was not aware of having to fill out this  authorization form and giving them 40.00 for each of us prior to embarking so because of this, we also are not getting off the ship when it arrives.  I will not give their country another cent of my money and I know they don't care nor does anyone else but that's OK.  Why cruise lines want to go there and put their passengers through all this unnecessary extra steps is questionable.  Just when you think traveling is getting back to somewhat normal what ever normal is now a days,  you get slapped with this.  Shame on Bermuda.  Maybe things will change by October when we go but if they don't, I will be looking at it from my balcony enjoying a drink.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shipmate13 said:

A.  Maybe things will change by October when we go but if they don't, I will be looking at it from my balcony enjoying a drink.  

If you don't get off the ship in Bermuda it would be like cutting off you nose to spite your face. You will have already paid the $40 and you would be skipping an island paradise. But hey if it makes you feel good go for it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shipmate13 said:

I am booked on a cruise with several friends on Celebrity and Bermuda happens to be a stop.  I was not aware of having to fill out this  authorization form and giving them 40.00 for each of us prior to embarking ...  Just when you think traveling is getting back to somewhat normal what ever normal is now a days,  you get slapped with this. 

It's always been a good practice to check the rules of any international destinations on one's travel itinerary (and especially so since the pandemic began).  Bermuda's TA authorization is not new; it's been in place for about a year since travel there resumed.  Back then, it cost $75pp and everyone had to pay for and get a (pricey) PCR test no more than 4 days before embarkation, in addition to the rapid antigen test at the pier before embarkation and another PCR test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

It's always been a good practice to check the rules of any international destinations on one's travel itinerary (and especially so since the pandemic began).  Bermuda's TA authorization is not new; it's been in place for about a year since travel there resumed.  Back then, it cost $75pp and everyone had to pay for and get a (pricey) PCR test no more than 4 days before embarkation, in addition to the rapid antigen test at the pier before embarkation and another PCR test.

You're killing the complaining buzz!

• Haha 5

On 8/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, photosport said:

This October will be the second time I stay on the ship instead of going ashore and spending a few bucks. Bermuda, you got my $80.00... don't spend it all in one place!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, Charles4515 said:

Ever heard the expression cut off your nose to spite your face? I think that applies if you stay on the ship. No one will notice if you don't take the excursion and it won't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. 

I've been to Bermuda more times than I care to remember so my answer to you is, NO... I'm not cutting my nose off to spite my face. I will be by the pool, enjoying my Premium Beverage package, while you're buying Made in China souvenirs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

I've been to Bermuda more times than I care to remember so my answer to you is, NO... I'm not cutting my nose off to spite my face. I will be by the pool, enjoying my Premium Beverage package, while you're buying Made in China souvenirs. 

I will be enjoying the beaches. If I wanted to enjoy a pool I could stay home and enjoy our resort deck pool and spa with real premium beverages. Plenty of made in Bermuda local arts and crafts to buy right at the Dockyard at the Clocktower mall and the Bermuda Craft market. But hey if you want to stay on the ship that's your choice. Wow, you spent $$$$ for a cruise and $80 is too much for you. Poor Baby. I doubt if a "frugal" person like you ever spends much in Bermuda anyway. You probably returned to the ship for every meal to get your moneys worth.The joke is on you though as they will have your $80 and port fees anyway. You will have cut off your nose to spite your face.....

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just got back from Bermuda and I loved it.  I would prefer not to have to pay $40 pp, but if I have to do that to visit, Bermuda, I will.  On one of our excursions, the captain said locals have been asking their government to drop the fee.  He had to pay it when he returned to Bermuda.

• Like 3

I am having a tough time with Bermuda taking advantage.   I booked this cruise because it is a new ship - Celebrity Beyond and the first time in Bermuda.   Now having thoughts about just staying on the Beyond. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, flyers10 said:

I am having a tough time with Bermuda taking advantage.   I booked this cruise because it is a new ship - Celebrity Beyond and the first time in Bermuda.   Now having thoughts about just staying on the Beyond. 

Whether you stay on board or get off, the price is $40.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, flyers10 said:

Right.  Just debating whether I want to spend anymore of my  money in Bermuda. 

The government will have your $40 plus the port taxes. The businesses and workers who have nothing to do with it won’t get any of your money.  You will deny yourself experiencing beautiful Bermuda. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.  I kind of think though that you, would not be spending much anyway. If the $40 bothers you probably don’t spend much at ports. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyers10 said:

Right.  Just debating whether I want to spend anymore of my  money in Bermuda. 

If Celebrity's cruise fare were $40 dollars higher, or if the port taxes were $40 higher would that have prevented you from getting off the ship in Bermuda and spending money there? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, flyers10 said:

Taking advantage?   Is that what you call a small island nation trying to help protect its residents from covid?  You are booked on Celebrity's bright shiny new ship, where cruise fares are quite pricey, and complaining about $40?   (BTW, the Bermuda Travel Authorization fee was $75pp a year ago when cruising there re-started, and everyone was required to get [and pay for] an expensive PCR test no later than 4 days before embarkation, in addition to the rapid antigen test at the pier and a second PCR test at the pier as well.)

Want to talk about countries really taking advantage of travelers?  Let's just take one example of air travel from the U.K. to the U.S. right now.  My wife and I recently booked plane tickets from London Heathrow to the U.S., using frequent flyer miles.  Generally, there's a small monetary fee added to those tickets, covering things like taxes.  This time, a whopping $185 per passenger was added.  Here's the breakdown:

U.S. Immigration User Fee:

7.00 USD

U.K. Air Passenger Duty:

100.70 USD

U.K. Passenger Service Charge:

67.20 USD

U.S. Customs User Fee:

6.11 USD

U.S. APHIS User Fee:

3.96 USD

I'm not going to post all over the British Isles Port of Call forum that the U.K. is "taking advantage" of travelers with a triple digit duty per passenger (on top of a passenger service charge no less).  It's part of the cost of our trip.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Now that cruise lines are not requiring testing for the vaccinated, i wish I could just pay the $40 that Bermuda apparently needs and forget about having to test.

I agree!  I certainly don’t mind paying the $40, it’s the testing that stresses me. We are on a October TA and I am hoping there are changes to testing. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GarCat88 said:

I agree!  I certainly don’t mind paying the $40, it’s the testing that stresses me. We are on a October TA and I am hoping there are changes to testing. 

Your government also requires cruisers calling on your country to be tested for COVID .