Carnival Cruise Line to Bring Costa Venezia to the U.S. In 2023, Costa Firenze in 2024

Not terribly surprised to see Carnival Corp make a move with some of their capacity they had dedicated to China pre-covid. Pretty excited about some new options. Do we know if the sailings on this brand within a brand will count toward Carnival's loyalty program? They have been so resistant to expanding it to other brands such as Princess or HAL, hopefully they will allow these nights to count.

29 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Not sure when china cruising will restart, but if it is a few years then it might be good to put Atlantica and Mediterranea in Carnival as Costa Ships (like Venezia and Firenze will be doing) for the time being

Having these 2 ships as either carnival ships or Costa ships on the US side could see the end of the fantasy class ships.

Build 2 to replace the 2 and then if the Asian market stays good build and excellence class ship

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

Ship looks as different to the carnival brand as it could. Main pool has a dome - perfect for winter cruising. Norwegian is bringing Prima to NY for spring 23, oasis comes in May, MSC -?? Ship - This ship may me what carnival needs in NY. But please leave for the winter!!! 

When I saw this story I wondered about the NYC homeport - I noticed nothing in the information I've seen said "year-round." Some years ago they tried putting Splendor in NYC year-round and it didn't work well; curious as to whether all these other ships planned for NYC has changed the equation.

Our neighbors did several winter cruises out of NYC on NCL. I remember their teenage sons posting pictures of snowball fights on the Lido deck.😮

9 hours ago, InspireLiberty said:

I wonder what this means for Panorama out of Long Beach - but seeing as Firenze is the same ship (essentially) I am not too worried.

Same here. They could, theoretically, run three ships out of long beach but the parking may be an issue. It'll be interesting to see what plays out and if this means moving Panorama somewhere else or simply adding an additional ship offering. Either way I'll be trying it out. If Panorama sailings are transferred over or if it stands on its own, Firenze looks like a nice ship. 

28 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

When I saw this story I wondered about the NYC homeport - I noticed nothing in the information I've seen said "year-round." Some years ago they tried putting Splendor in NYC year-round and it didn't work well; curious as to whether all these other ships planned for NYC has changed the equation.

Our neighbors did several winter cruises out of NYC on NCL. I remember their teenage sons posting pictures of snowball fights on the Lido deck.😮

Everyone else does year round. I watched a YouTube on the ship and it’s really beautiful. It’s looks ready for cold. Make longer cruises in the dead of winter and they have a chance. This has been debated since they took the ships out - I did miracle and splendor in January out of NYC - loved them. 

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I'd personally like to see these ships try to be something like Virgin Voyages but with Carnival's experiences. 

A family cruise line without families? That would be the antithesis of their model. Besides, Virgin will probably go bust eventually. They overestimated the demand for hipster adult only ships.

• Like 4

As someone above mentioned earlier.  Costa did sail ship(s) out of North America.  While still primary marketed to the European market, they did market to North America.

I actually did some researh on them back then.  The comments were very mixed.  So took a pass.

Not sure if things have changed over the years and if the carnivalization will further affect things

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

They need more ports for more ships. Big ships especially. Could be time to retry NY especially with air travel a mess. 

People generally want to sail to warm weather locations, spending the extra time cruising down from NY limits itinerary options, even for 7 day cruises; 3&4 days cruises, fugetaboutit. Two days there and back on each leg is limiting. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

People generally want to sail to warm weather locations, spending the extra time cruising down from NY limits itinerary options, even for 7 day cruises; 3&4 days cruises, fugetaboutit. Two days there and back on each leg is limiting. 

I agree but NCL and Royal have had ships of 4500 passengers in the winter for many years. If MSC brings one all year as well then its time to try again. Unless the brand doesn't want it or they feel maybe the cliental that cruises carnival from NY is seasonal. 

1 hour ago, jasong38501 said:

Not terribly surprised to see Carnival Corp make a move with some of their capacity they had dedicated to China pre-covid. Pretty excited about some new options. Do we know if the sailings on this brand within a brand will count toward Carnival's loyalty program? They have been so resistant to expanding it to other brands such as Princess or HAL, hopefully they will allow these nights to count.

They count towards Carnival's loyalty program only, not Costa's. They basically will act and function as Carnival ships just in Costa livery. 

18 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I agree but NCL and Royal have had ships of 4500 passengers in the winter for many years. If MSC brings one all year as well then its time to try again. Unless the brand doesn't want it or they feel maybe the cliental that cruises carnival from NY is seasonal. 

Couldn't agree more! 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

A family cruise line without families? That would be the antithesis of their model. Besides, Virgin will probably go bust eventually. They overestimated the demand for hipster adult only ships.

This is "Costa by Carnival" not Carnival Cruise Lines. This gives them the chance to try something else.

Branson has enough money to keep Virgin Voyages going as long as he wants.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

It will be operated by Carnival with Carnival staff.

But distinctly not branded Carnival. They're not rebranding the ships, at least not initially. If they wanted to make this a Carnival experience they would change the name of the ships and renovate them. This is going to be different. These ships don't have water slides for one thing and Carnival likely isn't going to add them.

Just now, mz-s said:

But distinctly not branded Carnival. They're not rebranding the ships, at least not initially. If they wanted to make this a Carnival experience they would change the name of the ships and renovate them. This is going to be different. These ships don't have water slides for one thing and Carnival likely isn't going to add them.

Translation: They aren't going to spend money redoing the ships. They will still be Funships in a different wrapper. It gives Corp the ability to move the ships to other Carnival brands depending on how the experiment works and demand. Costa by Aida. Costa by Princess. etc.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Translation: They aren't going to spend money redoing the ships. They will still be Funships in a different wrapper. It gives Corp the ability to move the ships to other Carnival brands depending on how the experiment works and demand. Costa by Aida. Costa by Princess. etc.

I think we will see some sort of distinct experience but we'll see how it shakes out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

John Heald was quizzing people about adults only cruises the other day.  I think they may be considering that option for these ships.  

I would like to see it but even if they don't go that far I do expect some sort of distinct experience. Otherwise they would re-name the ships to Carnival like they have announced they're doing for the ship going to Australia.

41 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Actually they do have full water parks , won’t need to add them. 

55563E84-7141-4346-B75B-CE5433A95264.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The video tour shows water slides 

• Like 1

Seems like a smart idea for so many reasons, chief among them:

Offer an Italian themed product head to head against MSC in the huge greater New York market, but with Carnival’s greater brand recognition.

The Carnival “management” addresses the frequent complaint that MSC doesn’t always cater to American tastes. This product can be Italian but not “too” Italian…….

Great opportunity to reintroduce Costa to the US market and create momentum to build the brand elsewhere with more American passengers.

Not re-theming nearly new ships saves money up front at a time where every dollar counts. If the concept succeeds they have created a new niche market.

If it fails (anyone remember using the old Carnivale for the short lived Fiesta Marina Cruises?) the ships can simply revert to European sailings for Costa without additional expense.

I’d be interested in trying a Bermuda cruise which hopefully will be part of the program.

• Like 1