transatlantic air fare

grest

Holy Cow!   Just looked up the fares for a trip back home (Florida) from Rotterdam following a transatlantic for next spring.....over $2000pp....help!   Looking for advice.  Thank you.

We've found HAL Flight Ease to be the way to go on a one way international flight.......always much better than direct booking w/the airlines.....At least for one way internationals....not so much for domestic...as has been our experience.

Have fun!

• Like 1

afterI'm on the Rotterdam TA next April.  Haven't even thought about air home since my plan is to go to the UK for several days after.  Guess I need to think about it.  Keep hoping fuel prices will come down and then airfare will follow.  HA!

I still have to pay for my B2B2B on Carnival Pride this fall!  I booked the air to Rome through them for the first time ever.  RDU-Rome for $505 on American.

• Like 1

Airfares are very volatile, and always have been especially one way. We just rebooked our one-way flight to Milan for a month later as we pushed our whole trip back.

We were booked on the October Rotterdam Transatlantic but changed to the November Oosterdam Transatlantic. Originally we had booked UAL "Premium Plus" IAD-ORD-MXP when they first made the announcement last Fall that they were entering that market. It was very cheap for a one-way fare! Now we are booked UAL IAD-ZRH-MXP "Premium Plus" for only about $250 additional for both of us. I had been monitoring the fare and found it had dropped on a Sunday morning. Booked it. Checked an hour later and it had gone up an additional $200.00 each.  Fares seem to be higher at certain times of the day and week when checking..

The other suggestion it to check other airports to fly home from Europe. Brussels, Charles de Gaulle and Frankfurt have very easy train-airport connections with Amsterdam. It might make a difference. Next year we are flying RT for Northern Europe cruises.

Not sure about your schedule, but we cruised back to the US from Hamburg on the Queen Mary 2 a couple of years ago when our schedule meshed nicely with theirs.  The cruise was about the same as airfare and a lot more relaxing.  We did have to find our way home from NYC and we took the Acela.

When shopping for airfares, I usually use an online consolidator to shop across multiple airlines for the best price and schedule.

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

We booked with TAP out of MIA via Lisabon to Italy for $400 a person. They even allow free layover in Lisbon to enjoy for couple of days and have flights to both Rome and Venice

went to their site and couldn't put in one way flights from Rotterdam to FLL or MIA....

1 hour ago, grest said:

went to their site and couldn't put in one way flights from Rotterdam to FLL or MIA....

You probably would fly from Schiphol in Amsterdam. On the TAP Portugal website you need to check one way, and then input FROM: AMS, and TO: MIA. I just did it for April 29 and a "Plus" Economy fare was 604,55 Euro without additional options. That would be $638.81 USD

Hope this helps.

- Jack

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grest said:

Holy Cow!   Just looked up the fares for a trip back home (Florida) from Rotterdam following a transatlantic for next spring.....over $2000pp....help!   Looking for advice.  Thank you.

Are you searching for flights from Rotterdam or Amsterdam?  Flying from AMS will be a better price.

Which city in Florida are you trying to fly to?  Oftentimes if I need to get to Ft. Lauderdale and I don't care for the prices I'm seeing I also check on what it might cost to fly to Miami or Orlando instead.  Shuttles from MIA aren't expensive, and Florida usually has good rates on one-way car rentals from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale.  We've also flown into Orlando and rented a car one-way when we needed to be in Tampa, and Tampa flights were too expensive.  You have options.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

@grest, I have 3 cruises booked that require international travel, and I was disappointed with what Flight Ease offered.  I didn't find the deals that others post about.

Being at home in Netherlands those fares tend to be very sweet offers.  I have gotten other decent fares but the Amsterdam to North America fares are superb. I think they simply do a fairly big volume from AMS