Cigars Port - off ship

oracer

Ok. Disappointed that our Breakaway cruise in August only has USVI port (St Thomas) and a US territory (San Juan). Was hoping to go to a port where I could indulge in a Cuban (yes I know how to pick out a fake). For San Juan or St Thomas, any suggestions on a hand rolled cigar from a local shop?

16 hours ago, oracer said:

Ok. Disappointed that our Breakaway cruise in August only has USVI port (St Thomas) and a US territory (San Juan). Was hoping to go to a port where I could indulge in a Cuban (yes I know how to pick out a fake). For San Juan or St Thomas, any suggestions on a hand rolled cigar from a local shop?

How do you pick out a fake?

Obama signed a law in 2016 that allows you to bring in a certain amount $100 declared, so no longer the fine. You can get Cuban rum as well. We previously would just take the bands off prior to getting on the boat and stated they were Dominican cigars. Easy way to get buy that. 

Fakes are easy if the don't have a hologram on the box they are fake. Also, most if all Cuban cigar bands have a raised embossed cigar band. Lastly, is they come in a 5 pack for $20-50 they are fake. Cuban don't sell in 5 packs. 

yes, I can go to the ports tab on here, just thought I would ask here. I also would smoke in the port with a local beer or drink prior to getting on the boat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oracer said:

Obama signed a law in 2016 that allows you to bring in a certain amount $100 declared, so no longer the fine. You can get Cuban rum as well. We previously would just take the bands off prior to getting on the boat and stated they were Dominican cigars. Easy way to get buy that. 

Fakes are easy if the don't have a hologram on the box they are fake. Also, most if all Cuban cigar bands have a raised embossed cigar band. Lastly, is they come in a 5 pack for $20-50 they are fake. Cuban don't sell in 5 packs. 

yes, I can go to the ports tab on here, just thought I would ask here. I also would smoke in the port with a local beer or drink prior to getting on the boat. 

As of September 24, 2020 you can no longer come back to the US with Cuban cigars or Rum.  Link to US Customs article.

1 hour ago, oracer said:

yes, I can go to the ports tab on here, just thought I would ask here.

Sure, that's one way I guess, but since the ports board are specific to the individual ports, wouldn't going there just make more sense? This doesn't have anything to do with NCL. The answer to your question does not change based on your method of arrival to the island.

6 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

How do you pick out a fake?

There are many giveaways, @oracer listed a few (however, many marcas do sell five-packs).
Some more:
-  Glass top boxes.  
-  All Cubans cigars have a triple cap.  The counterfeiters don't bother.
-  $35 cigars being sold for $5 (Cuban cigar prices have gone through the roof over the last couple of years, but fakes haven't)

What I tell people looking for Cubans in the Caribbean is that unless you're buying them in the DF  -where the prices are outrageous - what you're getting are almost 100% fakes.  La Casa De Habana (LCDH) is the world-wide authorized seller of Cuban cigars.  If you're in a port and not in an LCDH it's almost guaranteed that the cigars being sold are fakes.  There are some shops here and there that have legit ones, but if you don't know what you're looking for you probably won't find them.

LCDH has several shops scattered about the Caribbean; their website lists them.

• Thanks 1

Hi,  a few years back we got off the MSC seaside in San Juan and to my delight there is a cigar shop in the middle of town. The Drew Estate shop was packed with all types of cigars. my favourite being the Drew Estates very own brand KubaKuba Acid .i'm from England so had no bother bringing them back.if you want a smoke while your there then this should satisfy your craving for a Cuban.

3 hours ago, joe grumble said:

Hi,  a few years back we got off the MSC seaside in San Juan and to my delight there is a cigar shop in the middle of town. The Drew Estate shop was packed with all types of cigars. my favourite being the Drew Estates very own brand KubaKuba Acid .i'm from England so had no bother bringing them back.if you want a smoke while your there then this should satisfy your craving for a Cuban.

Drew Estate cigars are Nicaraguan, not Cuban.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:54 PM, njhorseman said:

Drew Estate cigars are Nicaraguan, not Cuban.

i couldnt remember if they sold cuban cigars but apparently not because its U.S.A territory. i was going to purchase drew estate cigars which you are right saying they are Nicaraguan.

I was in San Juan a few years ago.  Where the ship docked the locals set up booths to sell their wares.  There was a little old man that set up a folding card table and was hand rolling cigars.  I bought a couple from him with the intention of smoking them on the ship that night.  I have to say that they were the best cigars I ever smoked!  They were full bodied with traces of spice in them without even a hint of harshness to them!  A few years later I returned to San Juan and looked for the old man.  I couldn't find him.  

Elvis