We hit something.

jskinsd

Of course I can’t guess when NCL will provide any updates to those on pending cruises.  Our experience with the cancellation of the June 30 sailing was that my husband received a cancellation email June 28 just before 6 am Seattle time (but no email to me.). Later (around 7 am) I did receive an email, not mentioning the cancellation, but requesting that we rewatch the safety video.

Around 11 am, I got two identical text messages in quick succession, informing me of the cancellation and referring me to email for details.  No text so far to husband, but I did ultimately get an email.

We are trying to unravel our arrangements - prepaid parking at Pier 66 garage may not be refunded because of cancelling less than 72 hours in advance, and the dog boarding cost won’t be refunded.  At least we are local to Seattle and don’t have flights to cancel.

I am mildly tempted to try to rebook for the sailing on the 5th.  So far NCL has cancelled two cruises in a row for us, wonder if third time’s the charm…

Edited by Independent

17 hours ago, casofilia said:

Some advice to everyone.

Keep a copy on your computer/on paper of ALL your Confirmation Emails.   I used to keep only the most recent one and that hindered the sorting out of the problems with Refunds/FCCs on the Spirit cruise.

You get one for every change that occurs; I have 11 for one of our Jade cruises in November.

Good advice.  I save every single one, too.  Our cruise on the Star in 2.5 weeks was booked Aug 2020 and I have all 26 confirmation e-mails.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Having been through this, the credit will not match any documents you have.  It will be lowest of any number you can figure.  This was for a curtailed cruise.

It can be a nightmare of forensic accounting, but we actually have managed to reconcile and agree on the refund we received once or twice.  The other times we gave up trying to figure it out.  We just accepted what they gave us and counted ourselves lucky to get anything back at all.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Independent said:

So far NCL has cancelled two cruises in a row for us, wonder if third time’s the charm…

We have had more that 20 cruises cancelled since the start of the Covid pandemic.  When one was cancelled we would book another.  We continued on that merry-go-round for 18 months, booking another one for a year in advance whenever one would be cancelled a week or a month before sailing. 

1 hour ago, Independent said:

Of course I can’t guess when NCL will provide any updates to those on pending cruises.  Our experience with the cancellation of the June 30 sailing was that my husband received a cancellation email June 28 just before 6 am Seattle time (but no email to me.). Later (around 7 am) I did receive an email, not mentioning the cancellation, but requesting that we rewatch the safety video.

Around 11 am, I got two identical text messages in quick succession, informing me of the cancellation and referring me to email for details.  No text so far to husband, but I did ultimately get an email.

We are trying to unravel our arrangements - prepaid parking at Pier 66 garage may not be refunded because of cancelling less than 72 hours in advance, and the dog boarding cost won’t be refunded.  At least we are local to Seattle and don’t have flights to cancel.

I am mildly tempted to try to rebook for the sailing on the 5th.  So far NCL has cancelled two cruises in a row for us, wonder if third time’s the charm…

We Went through this with the Escape grounding. NCL cancelled future cruises one at a time, a few days before departure. They were working through repairs (supply chain) and getting approvals to resume unrestricted operations. Both big unknowns. And I think it was, in part, because they have a limited number of people who can actually provide the hyper care support to lift and shift a cruise. You don’t want to leave that up to the call center personnel. Once you got the right person, it was quick and easy (basically pick a cabin from what’s left in inventory). 

• Like 2

We are booked on the 7/5 sailing to alaska out of Seattle and do know the 5 day leaving on 7/30 was cancelled but have received no word at all in regard to the status of our trip.  It would be nice if they would at least tell us what happened, how bad, and what the status is for ours and other trips is.

Have not been on NCL since the Norway in the old days and was a fine group then.  Sure hope they get this fixed for those of us counting on them now.

5 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

We have had more that 20 cruises cancelled since the start of the Covid pandemic.  When one was cancelled we would book another.  We continued on that merry-go-round for 18 months, booking another one for a year in advance whenever one would be cancelled a week or a month before sailing. 

Not going to the right places.  I have taken 11 cruises since Oct on various cruise lines.✌️

• Like 1

We have been booked and unbooked about as many times as everyone here has and our final one that led to the NCL one was on Crystal which went bankrupt in February.  Two black sea cruises we would have like to have done were cancelled due to COVID and of course, now the war.  Oh well, I do hope we can still fly to Seattle and take the short one to Alaska with the family when all of this iceberg stuff is over.

On 6/27/2022 at 7:06 PM, GeezerCouple said:

What is that other ship in the port at Juneau, with the name that appears to be or include 
"Alaska" across the front?

GC

My friend was on the Eurodam which she said was parked next to the Sun in Juneau.

3 hours ago, TaffyDad said:

What kind of experience has everyone had with all the COVID pre testing to board lately?  Masking on board?  Any concerns or helps to share?

Depends on where you are sailing. Please refer to the documentation sent to you for your specific cruise. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Edited by BirdTravels

Curious is this Incident directly related to the Encore skipping Skagway today and going to Sitka instead?  Within the NCL fleet not sure why this would need to for happen if it was port space considerations or were there some port shuffling on the sister lines or other lines as well as a result?

8 hours ago, TaffyDad said:

It would be nice if they would at least tell us what happened, how bad, and what the status is for ours and other trips is.

Nope

NCL is a public ally traded company and the shareholders don’t need random speculation on something which will take a week or month to inspect and determine what repairs will be needed, if any.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, seachaz said:

Curious is this Incident directly related to the Encore skipping Skagway today and going to Sitka instead?  Within the NCL fleet not sure why this would need to for happen if it was port space considerations or were there some port shuffling on the sister lines or other lines as well as a result?

I hadn't heard that but could it be related to the rock slide that took out the dock in Skagway that docked the larger ships? How big is the Encore?

7 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

Have they announced if she is going to Victoria for Dry Dock? We did one there on Disney (I was crew) in 2011 for 2 weeks. I imagine it's the only place large enough in the area.

there is also a dry dock in portland, oregon that NCL recently used for the POA. If repairs is needed, the ship could go there too.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, I think they know what happened but they may not know the rest (yet).

Did ncl ever say how bad the damage was to the Escape?

heck, did they even acknowledge that there was a big long gash in her hull?

18 minutes ago, Shel71 said:

I hadn't heard that but could it be related to the rock slide that took out the dock in Skagway that docked the larger ships? How big is the Encore?

https://www.cruisehive.com/rockslide-damages-popular-cruise-ship-dock-in-alaska/74972

A rockslide at the historic White Pass Railroad Dock in Skagway, Alaska, damaged the dock and caused minor damage to Discovery Princess.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

https://www.cruisehive.com/rockslide-damages-popular-cruise-ship-dock-in-alaska/74972

A rockslide at the historic White Pass Railroad Dock in Skagway, Alaska, damaged the dock and caused minor damage to Discovery Princess.

After Covid and then the supply chain issues, etc., now a serious rockslide in Skagway, and the Sun hit by a mini-iceberg... 😱

I'm thinking locusts might be next!

Crazy times getting even more crazy...

GC

• Like 3
  • Haha 1