We hit something.

jskinsd

45 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I bet you reviewed that muster briefing again.  I would.😁😁

You lose the bet.  Been on over 50 NCL cruises and 30 in Alaska.  Been through many situations during my journeys.  No need to panic.  NCL are professionals.  In fact I'm glad we missed Skagway.  That place is fake anyway.  And slowly creeping through Icy Strait in perfect weather was a dream come true.  Lots of wildlife.✌️

• Like 10

Surprising to me that they do not have unmanned underwater drone that could examine the hull remotely and transmit video to ship experts examining for damage.  They could also run a ship channel in port showing sea life under the ship and keep a lookout for JAWS.

51 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Surprising to me that they do not have unmanned underwater drone that could examine the hull remotely and transmit video to ship experts examining for damage.  They could also run a ship channel in port showing sea life under the ship and keep a lookout for JAWS.

Given the lack of depth perception in most video, the class surveyors want a diver doing the video so that they can communicate back and forth, and determine the size and severity of dents.  Many hull dents are left for the life of the ship, if they have not compromised (bent) the internal framing.  Also, in many cases, the visibility is too low for good video, and so the mark 1 eyeball works better.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Given the lack of depth perception in most video, the class surveyors want a diver doing the video so that they can communicate back and forth, and determine the size and severity of dents.  Many hull dents are left for the life of the ship, if they have not compromised (bent) the internal framing.  Also, in many cases, the visibility is too low for good video, and so the mark 1 eyeball works better.

How many ships have you been on as chief engineer and have had the ship hit something to the point where it was needed to check for how bad the damage was? Your post sure sounds like it comes with that experience.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Good info, my thought was to give it a once over to see if there was any major damage giving it a fast pass to the nearest port to be looked over more thoroughly rather than the slow chug in.  Certainly would not replace a more hands on approach from divers.  In this case, the ship was lucky it was near a major port.

29 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks for yet another of your expert posts.  Very interesting information, as always.  We are on her upcoming 18 day Transatlantic so very interested in the Sun remaining seaworthy (Yikes!).

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How many ships have you been on as chief engineer and have had the ship hit something to the point where it was needed to check for how bad the damage was? Your post sure sounds like it comes with that experience.

Over 46 years, I'd have to say nearly all of them.  Every ship I've drydocked has had some "surprise" wrinkles (many times you don't even feel anything, but there's a dent.

3 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Good info, my thought was to give it a once over to see if there was any major damage giving it a fast pass to the nearest port to be looked over more thoroughly rather than the slow chug in.  Certainly would not replace a more hands on approach from divers.  In this case, the ship was lucky it was near a major port.

Divers routinely fly out to remote areas for underwater surveys, the big problem is finding an area where the visibility is sufficient.  I was on a ship in the Amazon, and the pilot ran us on a sand bar (pretty common occurrence there), so we had to have a diver survey.  There is only one city on the Amazon below Manaus where the water is clear enough for a diver to see his hand in front of his face, and that is Santarem, where a crystal clear river empties into the brown Amazon.  There were about 4-5 ships anchored there for diver surveys alone.  The basic determination of hull damage is:  is there water coming in?  Yes, fix it now.  No, good to go for a diver inspection at a suitable port.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thanks for yet another of your expert posts.  Very interesting information, as always.  We are on her upcoming 18 day Transatlantic so very interested in the Sun remaining seaworthy (Yikes!).

Oh, she's seaworthy.  Even dents that bend over some internal framing, they decide to leave the dented hull plating, cut out the bent framing, and form a new piece of framing that conforms to the dent in the hull.  Growlers are typically either sharp, and breach the hull, or just cause a small dent.  I know the Sun's construction well, having worked on the Sky, and if they had breached the hull, they would have either started flooding the engine spaces, or there would have been an oil leak from the forward fuel tanks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

The plot thickens. We arrived about 5pm and NCL let guest off around 5:30 to return at 10:00.  We stayed overnight. Original schedule was to arrive at 7am today.  When I looked at the freestyle daily for today I saw all aboard at 1:45pm.  Well it is 9am and no one can leave the ship now.  Another delay.  They say 9:30.  What will happen next. ✌️

17 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

The plot thickens. We arrived about 5pm and NCL let guest off around 5:30 to return at 10:00.  We stayed overnight. Original schedule was to arrive at 7am today.  When I looked at the freestyle daily for today I saw all aboard at 1:45pm.  Well it is 9am and no one can leave the ship now.  Another delay.  They say 9:30.  What will happen next. ✌️

Duhn, Duhn, Dunn....

Coronel Mustard with the Iceburg on the Lido Deck.  

Is the onboard PA system playing Ice, Ice, baby?  Who let the Burgs out, Who Who Who.  

Gotta put some humor into it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10am and still no disembarkation.  Supposed to be back 1:45. I guess we are staying on the ship so we can make Seattle by Thursday.  Just a guess. How are going to get 1500 people back in such a short time ✌️

Now 11:45.  People still waiting on line to disembark. Tour busses gone.  Going on three hours.  Still no announcement. And the crew are working there a#@es off.  Are we having fun yet.✌️

Edited by jskinsd
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Over 46 years, I'd have to say nearly all of them.  Every ship I've drydocked has had some "surprise" wrinkles (many times you don't even feel anything, but there's a dent.

Divers routinely fly out to remote areas for underwater surveys, the big problem is finding an area where the visibility is sufficient.  I was on a ship in the Amazon, and the pilot ran us on a sand bar (pretty common occurrence there), so we had to have a diver survey.  There is only one city on the Amazon below Manaus where the water is clear enough for a diver to see his hand in front of his face, and that is Santarem, where a crystal clear river empties into the brown Amazon.  There were about 4-5 ships anchored there for diver surveys alone.  The basic determination of hull damage is:  is there water coming in?  Yes, fix it now.  No, good to go for a diver inspection at a suitable port.

Wow, the cruise lines sure do not advertise that their ships routinely hit things.

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Wow, the cruise lines sure do not advertise that their ships routinely hit things.

Not all of those were cruise ships, for me, but there are logs and trees in the harbors, etc, all ships hit things in the water.  The Norwegian Sky has a piece of Canadian granite mounted on a plaque in the ECR, that was taken from inside one of the tanks, after she ran aground in the St. Lawrence river on her maiden voyage.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

I would think that hitting the wheels (props) and throwing it off balance resulting in all kinds of bad vibrations could be an issue. sightcrr

If they bent a prop blade, that could cause vibrations, and that vibration could be worse or better at various propeller speeds, so they could be looking for the right speed.  The Sun has variable pitch propellers, so one or two bent blades can be replaced in the water by divers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Because they dont, regardless of what you read on the internet.  To suggest it is routine is comical.  

The report on Facebook by someone on board said they just left Juneau and are going very slowly straight to Seattle. All the rest of the ports are canceled and they get a refund and future credit. Not sure how that bodes for those on cruises coming up. 😞

13 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

She's moved off the dock. It's 14:45 local time.

Nice to see her moving (by herself!).

Are there any changes to the rest of the itinerary?  (I'm not sure what it was originally, which day was where, etc.)

ETA:  Ooops, just read the post by Shel71.

Too bad...

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

We are finally leaving.  I guess yesterday was a tease.  No one off the ship.  But the Sun did find time to get some scheduled maintenance done by outside contractors.  This is my guess why we stayed so long.  An announcement was made but didn't hear it.  I think we are on our way back to Seattle skipping Ketchikan and Victoria.  My next guess is we travel through Canada's inside passage ✌️

1 minute ago, jskinsd said:

We are finally leaving.  I guess yesterday was a tease.  No one off the ship.  But the Sun did find time to get some scheduled maintenance done by outside contractors.  This is my guess why we stayed so long.  An announcement was made but didn't hear it.  I think we are on our way back to Seattle skipping Ketchikan and Victoria.  My next guess is we travel through Canada's inside passage ✌️

On marinetraffic.com the ship's next port is listed as Victoria. They need to stop there to satisfy the PVSA's foreign port requirement.

• Like 1