COVID cases on Viking Orion

Alaskadaughter

On 6/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, hutch1994 said:

Also found that he completely ignores questions about friends on this cruise that have become under the weather. Like it has never happened.

Just been deleted by the site manager on that site for mentioning that the Viking employees are put in a poor position by having to be photographed with unmasked passengers while they still have to wear masks to protect themselves.  Very selfish on the part of the passengers as those employees are trying to work a whole season without coming down with covid.

• Like 6

My husband was recently disembarked by Emts on a stretcher and taken to Seward hospital where he stayed for three days with Covid. We remained in Alaska an extra five days before traveling. He was given great care and is doing well two weeks later though he is extremely fatigued.

Our cabin attendant and a large group of crew were taken off the ship midway through the cruise. It was called a “crew change”! Her replacement told us it was for medical reasons. By the end of the cruise the dining rooms, especially World Cafe, were seriously short of help. After all the passengers had disembarked I was still in medical with him and I observed  a steady stream of sick crew members coming in for care. The Covid Care Coordinator (who knew?) said she was overwhelmed by sick passengers getting off the buses to Anchorage!

Viking paid for our transportation to Anchorage, was very helpful rescheduling our flights, but has not paid for our extra hotel costs which were considerable. Given that we missed the post extension I will be following up with that. Somehow, a cruise credit, which they did offer isn’t what I’m interested in right now!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peachpaws10 said:

My husband was recently disembarked by Emts on a stretcher and taken to Seward hospital where he stayed for three days with Covid. We remained in Alaska an extra five days before traveling. He was given great care and is doing well two weeks later though he is extremely fatigued.

Our cabin attendant and a large group of crew were taken off the ship midway through the cruise. It was called a “crew change”! Her replacement told us it was for medical reasons. By the end of the cruise the dining rooms, especially World Cafe, were seriously short of help. After all the passengers had disembarked I was still in medical with him and I observed  a steady stream of sick crew members coming in for care. The Covid Care Coordinator (who knew?) said she was overwhelmed by sick passengers getting off the buses to Anchorage!

Viking paid for our transportation to Anchorage, was very helpful rescheduling our flights, but has not paid for our extra hotel costs which were considerable. Given that we missed the post extension I will be following up with that. Somehow, a cruise credit, which they did offer isn’t what I’m interested in right now!

Surely you purchased trip interruption/cancellation insurance to mitigate the financial risk of unforeseen circumstance such as you experienced.

COVID is now treated similar to any of the other medical conditions that may curtail a cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Surely you purchased trip interruption/cancellation insurance to mitigate the financial risk of unforeseen circumstance such as you experienced.

COVID is now treated similar to any of the other medical conditions that may curtail a cruise.

Agree.  I'm sure Viking will reimburse you for the missed extension but I would expect trip insurance to cover extra hotel expenses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Given that everyone needed a negative test to board in Seward (for Canada entry) the numbers are surprising. 

I'm sorry but not surprising at all.  From personal experience, a rapid antigen test can yield a negative test result for several days after someone starts to show Covid symptoms and can spread the virus to others.  

• Like 2

It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, but vaccines provide little defense to the BA.4 and BA.5 variants.  The vaccines will make it less likely to get really ill, but they offer little protection against getting COVID from those variants.

it would not surprise me that if someone brought it on board….even though they tested negative before they boarded due to lack of incubation time….that it would then spread like wildfire.

Edited by Carraig

8 hours ago, Carraig said:

It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, but vaccines provide little defense to the BA.4 and BA.5 variants.  The vaccines will make it less likely to get really ill, but they offer little protection against getting COVID from those variants.

it would not surprise me that if someone brought it on board….even though they tested negative before they boarded due to lack of incubation time….that it would then spread like wildfire.

Both husband and I, having had four vaccinations, tested positive for Covid while visiting the UK in June, 2 weeks ago. I'd suggest it was the new variants. Husband had a mild case of the flu, I had no symptoms at all. 

And yet the site manager who is mentioned above, maintains a head in the sand position concerning covid on this cruise.  Just wants to declare how happy he is that he doesn't have to wear a mask now and doesn't want to mention covid cases on the Orion or people who are sick but still show up in the lounge or group gatherings.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

And yet the site manager who is mentioned above, maintains a head in the sand position concerning covid on this cruise.  Just wants to declare how happy he is that he doesn't have to wear a mask now and doesn't want to mention covid cases on the Orion or people who are sick but still show up in the lounge or group gatherings.

Why do you continue to harp on what a Steve does or doesn’t do. It’s his Forum and his rules. You don’t need to be over there if you are so unhappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 9:53 AM, hutch1994 said:

That people take Covid as a walk in the park is ao frustrating but I could go on and on for says about how much seemingly ridiculous is accepted. Welcome to our new world.

• Like 1

Just now, Clay Clayton said:

Someone just reposted the following on that group which was originally posted to another group. I make no claims to its validity but it appears to be genuine. 

EEE1210E-A80A-4D95-B4BA-3E97508619FB.jpeg

4A4C4CB0-A3BC-49EE-8784-3493BB3C3AC0.png

4A996807-38B2-42DD-B81F-998556C6AC8F.jpeg

5A28ED0A-A89D-4161-A769-41E06439ECEC.jpeg

Crap-my screenshots posted out of order but hopefully you can figure it out🤞

Well we head to Anchorage on Saturday to board the Orion on Monday so we will “report” our thoughts. This will be our first Ocean cruise on Viking, having just completed our first River cruise in May. Needless to say, very excited!

We have remained Covid free throughout the pandemic. We were very cautious while on the River cruise and will be the same in AK. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Someone just reposted the following on that group which was originally posted to another group. I make no claims to its validity but it appears to be genuine. 

EEE1210E-A80A-4D95-B4BA-3E97508619FB.jpeg

4A4C4CB0-A3BC-49EE-8784-3493BB3C3AC0.png

4A996807-38B2-42DD-B81F-998556C6AC8F.jpeg

And guess what?  It is now gone from that site.  There last evening.  The head of that group doesn't like postings that are anti Viking.

2 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

Well we head to Anchorage on Saturday to board the Orion on Monday so we will “report” our thoughts. This will be our first Ocean cruise on Viking, having just completed our first River cruise in May. Needless to say, very excited!

We have remained Covid free throughout the pandemic. We were very cautious while on the River cruise and will be the same in AK. 

We will be on the August 21 Anchorage to Vancouver cruise, our second Viking Ocean cruise. Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

3 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

Enjoy!  I presume you have reviewed the Viking for newbies thread-if not, lots of good advice and tips here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

On 6/27/2022 at 6:37 AM, The Other Tom said:

I don't know about the supply chain for covid meds but maybe the industry tries to conserve it for those who really need it?  It's relatively easy to transfer meds between pharmacies on land but not so much on a ship.

My wife and I got COVID in February; we were both double-vaxxed, double-boosted. My wife tested positive on a Wednesday, and when I started feeling bad the next day, my doctor told me to assume I had it as well.

We were both immediately prescribed Paxlovid; by Saturday I felt fine, and on Monday I tested negative.

I can't speak for others, but I only felt bad and had symptoms for about 3 days, and I credit that to Paxlovid. There was no issue here (north Texas) getting a prescription when I called my doctor.

It's a good thing too, because our Rome to Athens cruise started on February 28th (about 3 weeks later).

Edited by longterm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, longterm said:

I can't speak for others, but I only felt bad and had symptoms for about 3 days, and I credit that to Paxlovid. There was no issue here (north Texas) getting a prescription when I called my doctor.

When I had it in April, I felt zippy again within 3-4 days without Paxlovid. But I did have lingering cold symptoms for a while after that. Impressive that all your symptoms disappeared that quickly!

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:
1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

How did you get your second boosters in February when the FDA didn’t approve them until March 29?

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/

I stand corrected; we got the booster on 3/31, and then went on a trip to France in late April, and that was the trip we were double-boosted for. So when we got Covid we’d only had one booster. 

4 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Similar situation here. We flew out 4/6 and delayed getting the 2nd booster because we were afraid we might test with a false positive if we got boosted so soon before flying.

Getting vaccinated will not give a positive PCR. They are completely different biological markers.  

• Like 2