Cruise Vets - What are some items to pack you would NEVER leave home without???

joecool234

On 7/5/2022 at 11:52 AM, kelkel2 said:

Yes to this!! If it’s something like a bar drink that you get a receipt for you can add a tip on that, but last time I cruised there was no receipts that came with room service because you’re not paying for it, therefore no tip options. Cash is best for tips! 

I agree with Cabin Service etc, table service etc where it is freely given........BUT, I do not agree with Bar Service!!!...have you not checked your receipt?...there is usually a 15% service charge added to every drink, wine served.

1 hour ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

I agree with Cabin Service etc, table service etc where it is freely given........BUT, I do not agree with Bar Service!!!...have you not checked your receipt?...there is usually a 15% service charge added to every drink, wine served.

We usually get the drink package. So I generally tip with my drinks. Yes I know I’ve paid that as part of the package. But I still add one, not every time. But I do when I have a bartender I really like. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

.BUT, I do not agree with Bar Service!!!...have you not checked your receipt?...there is usually a 15% service charge added to every drink, wine served.

Once upon a time, I did provide a tip after each drink.  Decided this was really not needed.  Now, I will provide a gratuity to those bartenders/stewards that deserve it at the end of a segment or the end of a cruise.  

• Like 2

On 9/5/2022 at 8:07 PM, ldubs said:

We have a meeting with our Chase banker in a couple weeks to update some forms.  I hope to pick her brain about how this new system works.   

On 9/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, rkacruiser said:

Please share with us what you learn.

They confirmed the old system of registering upcoming trips was replaced.   What we were told is the first charge made while traveling is likely to generate a text asking that we confirm the charge.  I explained that this wasn't a really good thing when traveling in a foreign country with a different language and perhaps having data turned off and no wifi.   Our banker even tried to register our trip with the fraud unit, and was told no-can-do.  This is potentially going to be a pain to deal with (it has so far).  Hopefully enough folks will complain to enhance the system.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

What we were told is the first charge made while traveling is likely to generate a text asking that we confirm the charge.  I explained that this wasn't a really good thing when traveling in a foreign country with a different language and perhaps having data turned off and no wifi.

Thanks for letting us know what your banker said.  I don't send nor receive texts so this isn't a world class practice, in my opinion.  Somewhere in the back of my memory, I vaguely recall some need to verify that I was the person making the charge, bur, I don't remember what that was.  If I remember--finally--I'll post that.

I get so tired of companies "fixing something that is not broke"!!!

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for letting us know what your banker said.  I don't send nor receive texts so this isn't a world class practice, in my opinion.  Somewhere in the back of my memory, I vaguely recall some need to verify that I was the person making the charge, bur, I don't remember what that was.  If I remember--finally--I'll post that.

I get so tired of companies "fixing something that is not broke"!!!

You likely have an option for a phone call instead of the text, but I'm not sure of that and we would probably agree that doesn't address the issue.  

• Like 1

Just now, ldubs said:

You likely have an option for a phone call instead of the text, but I'm not sure of that and we would probably agree that doesn't address the issue.  

Yes, it had to have been a phone call.  Agree, that does not address the issue.

For several years, I would receive a phone call at home from Chase's Fraud Department--often in the very early morning hours on the day after I put a travel notification on their cards--to insure that I had, indeed, made that request.  Didn't appreciate the timing of the phone call, but, I was glad to know that I would not have a problem in trying to use a phone call outside of my usual areas of activity.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 4:20 PM, Billdref said:

I just purchased the apple luggage tag.  Keeps track of where your bags are in case the airline/cruise line “misplaces” your bag. Uses your Find My app to track. Also for those who use hearing aides, a spare set if you have one.  CPAP users…check on board for distilled water and a long extension cord.

I am a CPAP user in recent years and I was wondering about an extension cord. I saw how some cruise lines don't have outlets beside the beds and I worry my cord won't reach whatever outlet is available.Would I get the extension cord or request it from Guest Services as soon as I embark? Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

...I saw how some cruise lines don't have outlets beside the beds and I worry my cord won't reach whatever outlet is available.Would I get the extension cord or request it from Guest Services as soon as I embark? Thanks!

I guess it depends on the cruiseline. On HAL, you can request the extension cord ahead of time through your PCC or TA. For other lines, as soon as you pick one, ask on your CC board how others have dealt with it.

• Thanks 1

When we cruised with our young children I always packed a small headlight.  In the event something went wrong and we had to make out way from our cabin to the emergency station I wanted to be able to hold hands with both kids or one kid and my wife, and still have light.  I still carry it and thankfully have never had to use it.

I also bring a couple of blowup mattress cushions.  Put them under the pad they think will help with the typically terrible mattresses.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, joecool234 said:

1) a decent power strip (with no shortage of usb chargers)

2) a hanging over-the-door shoe organizer for toiletries and misc items

I see no point for either of these things.  We use our phones only occasionally /no other electronics. 

The over-the-door organizer takes up more space than it's worth.  The rooms have ample storage ... around the mirror, lots in the bathroom, loads in the closet.  I do bring a couple magnetic hooks to keep ball caps and paperwork handy.  

On 9/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, CRUISENSNOOZE said:

If you're talking Royal Caribbean, it's 18% on all drinks.  

On 9/16/2022 at 4:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time, I did provide a tip after each drink.  Decided this was really not needed.  Now, I will provide a gratuity to those bartenders/stewards that deserve it at the end of a segment or the end of a cruise.  

We used to tip $1 for every drink, but we're reconsidering it ... haven't stopped, but don't always do it.  18% is plenty for handing over a beer.  

Serious question, how do you know you'll find your favorite bartenders at the end of a cruise?  

On 1/7/2023 at 8:43 AM, bonsai3s said:

A really good folding umbrella. (lightweight and unbreakable)

Protects us from the sun, the rain...and can be used to defend yourself.

If you want rain protection and body protection you might consider this sword umbrella  https://www.trueswords.com/Black-Umbrella-Sword-17221

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, joecool234 said:

It's been about 6 years since my last cruise and my ex-wife did most of the packing, so I'm pretty much a n00b. The only "can't leave home without" obscure items I can remember are:

1) a decent power strip (with no shortage of usb chargers)

2) a hanging over-the-door shoe organizer for toiletries and misc items

What else do you back that people generally would never even think of packing for a cruise????

Thanks everyone!!!!

Make sure the power strip does not have surge suppression. They will take it away. I now travel with a 10 port USB hub. One power plug, 10 devices charged. No issues from the cruise ship. 

Some cruise lines no longer allow the over door organizers. We switched to magnetic hangers instead. 

We bring rechargeable night lights for the cabin and bathroom. 

The plastic luggage tag holders for our luggage. Print the luggage tags, then slip them into the plastic tag holders, they don't get lost or wet.

My wife always travels with a pop up hamper to keep the dirty clothes separated. 

The small ice buckets in your stateroom hold only a few cubes and the minibar temp averages 40 degrees.  I now bring a collapsible, insulated, cooler for ice that needs filling only every few days, keeps beverages at 33 degrees, and has ten times the ice found in your stateroom ice bucket,

• Like 2

Hanging Cabin Organizer - This is key if you have a family or an over-packing spouse. It makes the room so much more organized. If you get one, make sure it is  "flame retardant," so it adheres to cruise line policies and won't get confiscated while boarding. Also, I would get a mesh one so it doesn't get funky and moldy over time. Mesh also seems to fold up much more compactly.

Cruise Power Strip:  As mentioned by others, make sure it's Non-Surge. This is so clutch for keeping phones, laptops, tablets, gaming devices, etc charged. I've seen others suggest USB devices, but these technically violate Royal Caribbean's policy of "no extension cords." All USB charges I've seen have cords that extend the functionality and so violate the rule. Also, don't get a cheap one with few ratings. We've gotten "burnt" (quite literally) by the cheap, Chinese knock-offs before.

Towel Bands:  Soooo much better than towel clips because they're roughly 10% of the size. These work great on the top deck and also at the beach. One unintended benefit is that they make it much easier to find your pool chair amongst the "sea" of others.

Collapsible Beach Tote Bag:  We use a collapsible bag that scrunches up to the size of a wallet when not in use. We use it to bring stuff up and back from the pool. It comes in particularly useful at port. I'll bring two in case my spouse gets a bit souvenir-happy.

Cruise Luggage Tags:  I can't believe people staple pieces of paper together and hope their bags show up. Cruise luggage tags are a very cheap insurance policy to make sure you have your knickers when pushing off.

Cruise Cabin Night Light:  We bring a motion sensor device that sits in the bathroom and turns on when walking in at midnight, 2am, 4am, 6am... The regular cruise bathroom light can be a bit supernova-esque and also tough to find the switch while disoriented.

Cruise Key Card Phone Pouch:  We used to use cruise lanyards and have found this little gem recently. With lanyards, you have one extra item you need to remember. Obviously, my phone is the first thing that I grab... this key card wallet piggybacks my device so my key card is always there with my phone.

• Like 1

Not something to pack, but download all port maps, guides etc on phone before leaving home. Google maps allows you to save offline maps, which don't take up much phone space, and is great for cities. Also, swim stuff in your hand luggage so you can go in the pool on embarkation day! 

Random thoughts:

- My daughter has had that sword-umbrella since high school -- she's three years out of college.  It's a nice, large umbrella, but I wouldn't take it on a cruise.  We always bring hats; if it rains on an island day, I can take my body getting wet -- so long as I can keep my face dry.  

- Big Sea Monster, I have nothing /want nothing from that list.

- I have a small laminator at home -- it was a Christmas gift years ago, and it comes in handy more often than you might imagine.  I always laminate my luggage tags, and they're plenty sturdy.  

- We open a suitcase in the bottom of our closet /toss in clothes as they become dirty.  On the last day, we zip it up, and we're packed for home.  Easier than bringing along a hamper, then transferring the clothes.  

- Saving island details on your phone is a good idea -- nothing extra to bring.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 8:43 AM, bonsai3s said:

A really good folding umbrella. (lightweight and unbreakable)

Protects us from the sun, the rain...and can be used to defend yourself.

Do they make umbrellas that are not folding?  😀

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, imready2go said:

You may think this is gross, but I like to take "older" underwear and just throw it away each day.  

On 2/1/2023 at 2:32 AM, Ruminant said:

My mother always did this when traveling! Not gross and a good idea.

Many years ago, Mrs Ldubs "suggested" I do this.  It was a trough change after all those years of being told I need good drawers in case I get in an accident.  Anyway, good to read Mrs Ldubs isn't the only one.  

• Like 2