KABOOM!! Seabourne to Saudis?? CEO out

LocoLoco1

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

i generally agree with your thoughts but i think the sailing below capacity is more of lack of staff. basically the cap on the boat instead of 100% is in reality more like 70% (or w/e, just well under 100%), so they price their voyages and adjust the pricing with the capacity as if full was 70% because there's no point selling more cabins than they can handle and leaving $$ on the table 

I respectfully disagree. If ships were limiting capacity due to staffing that information would be included in the quarterly releases. Ships sailed full over Easter and there are no less employees now. 

In fact, I believe Arnold Donald even stated capacity is at 100% now. I will go back and look for that press release. In the meantime if you have any reference to support your theory I am very interested in listening. 

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

haha, there's always someone who says they hate Florida.  Whatever the reason.  Taken with a grain of salt.  

Not meant for a grain of salt.  I have spent a couple years in Florida.  VERY little anymore.

1 hour ago, gilboman said:

ya..definitely avoid the US where possible and especially florida and texas even moreso now than before

stick with MA and NY and WA for cruising to avoid the issues in florida and texas etc

Refresh my memory.  What are the issues in Florida?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I respectfully disagree. If ships were limiting capacity due to staffing that information would be included in the quarterly releases. Ships sailed full over Easter and there are no less employees now. 

In fact, I believe Arnold Donald even stated capacity is at 100% now. I will go back and look for that press release. In the meantime if you have any reference to support your theory I am very interested in listening. 

I was on koningsdam and that's what the officers told me when I was speaking with them about how empty the ship was

Also other cruiseline including NCL have said they are limiting capacity due to lack of crew 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-crew-shortages/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

FYI, Morgan Stanley is a large organization with 75k employees. The analysts are in different departments from the portfolio managers and wealth advisors. I'm sure that their remuneration is based on different criterion from the decision makers and managers.

I am a pleased  Morgan Stanley client.  For a very long time, the analysts ratings for some of my holdings differed with what I owned.  I have never reacted just because of their ratings of a security.  They sometimes say  "Hold" or "Sell" or "Buy".  I find such recommendations interesting.  If the recommendations differ from my thinking, it prompts me to do a bit of research.  But, I have never bought or sold just based on one person's or one group's recommendation.  

I have owned some equities where the recommendation was to "Sell".  I still own them.  Some are still paying dividends.  And, Pre-Covid, I could have sold them for a nice Capital Gain with Uncle Donald or Uncle Joe being the beneficiary.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gilboman said:

I was on koningsdam and that's what the officers told me when I was speaking with them about how empty the ship was

Also other cruiseline including NCL have said they are limiting capacity due to lack of crew 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-crew-shortages/

Thank you for that article. I hadn't read it and it was quite interesting.

Here is an article talking about Carnival Cruise line sailing at 110%. 

"The brand is expected to operate at 110 percent occupancy for the all-important summer season, according to Arnold Donald, president and CEO of Carnival Corporation." The article goes on to say this is only some of the ships sailing 'close to home', but at least some ships are sailing full. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27776-carnival-cruise-line-to-operate-full-ships-this-summer-at-110-percent-occupancy.html

But I do acknowledge that there is absolutely a crew shortage. If you follow crew social you will see many crew do not want to return until masks and vaccine mandates are removed. It seems there are some visa issues also. However; I don't believe CCL has the luxury of turning away guests. It's possible they are staffing ships according to demand (moving crew to more popular sailings). It's all a mess.

One thing to note on the side from the article you linked; we can never compare the Pride of America to any other cruise ship. Because it only sails within the USA (Hawaii) It's the only ship that must operate with 95% American Crew so they have different rules and MANY staffing challenges. 

Happy cruising 🙂

CCL's numbers and ratios are not good.  

The big questions.  Will business improve.  Will cash flow improve to the point where additional borrowing or share issues are not required?

The answer to these  is anyone's guess.

Edited by iancal

RCI is currently running all of their ships and said they would like to operate at 110% capacity. How would that work? Would some people just have to take a stranger into their cabin to sleep on sofa sleeper or murphy bed? 

The cruise lines are too thirsty right now for customers and it shows.

-Paul

10 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

RCI is currently running all of their ships and said they would like to operate at 110% capacity. How would that work? Would some people just have to take a stranger into their cabin to sleep on sofa sleeper or murphy bed? 

The cruise lines are too thirsty right now for customers and it shows.

-Paul

It's my understanding they only count capacity as 2 adults in each cabin.  The extra 10% is where 3 or 4 are now in a cabin.  The extra 3rd and 4th guests are usually kids. (Which obviously makes sense with lines like Royal and Carnival)

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, quack2 said:

Careful, the Saudis may execute anyone who complains about the food.

I was going to give a Ha Ha as I laughed after reading your post, but really beheadings are not funny. 😒

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nymich said:

It's my understanding they only count capacity as 2 adults in each cabin.  The extra 10% is where 3 or 4 are now in a cabin.  The extra 3rd and 4th guests are usually kids. (Which obviously makes sense with lines like Royal and Carnival)

You are correct.  100% capacity is based on double occupancy, unless a cabin is a single of course.

We were on the Carnival Breeze Christmas 2018.  Stated ship capacity is 3690 passengers.  They announced there were over 4800 passengers onboard, or over 130% capacity.  It was definitely crowded with kids and strollers everywhere, but still manageable.  The ship had a number of "hidden" public areas at the front of passenger decks.  You could often go out there and be by yourself for quite a while.

• Like 1