Am I In an Alternate Universe??

molymoo

Embarked yesterday evening for our British Isles cruise after a lovely pre-extension in Oslo.  Our flights were on time, our luggage arrived right away, we were the first to finish checking in from our rather large group, we were upgraded to a PJS, and the sun is shining in Bergen!  Grateful as heck but waiting for the other shoe to drop!!

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Embarked yesterday evening for our British Isles cruise after a lovely pre-extension in Oslo.  Our flights were on time, our luggage arrived right away, we were the first to finish checking in from our rather large group, we were upgraded to a PJS, and the sun is shining in Bergen!  Grateful as heck but waiting for the other shoe to drop!!

What a delightful start, enjoy molymoo!

Your luck may keep, there's a serious heatwave going on in mainland and northern Europe at the moment, Norway is frying! It's heading to the UK at the end of this week so you may enjoy sunny skies here too!

Fingers crossed for you!

59 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Molymoo, congratulations on your upgrade.  We are on the same cruise and this is our 10th Ocean cruise with Viking and we’ve never been surprised with an upgrade on boarding.  What category were you originally in?  I hope you enjoy all the amenities on this lovely ship.  

10 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Molymoo, congratulations on your upgrade.  We are on the same cruise and this is our 10th Ocean cruise with Viking and we’ve never been surprised with an upgrade on boarding.  What category were you originally in?  I hope you enjoy all the amenities on this lovely ship.  

We were originally booked in a PV.  This really is a lovely ship and we are planning to try to schedule enough time to enjoy it!  

• Like 1

Which ship are you on?  We boarded the V. Mars in Bergen 3 weeks ago “Into the Midnight Sun” ending in Greenwich/London.

Loved Oslo.  We did the Oslo to Bergen to train.  Unfortunately, someone forgot to book the busses from Voss to Bergen so our boarding was delayed until about 5::00 pm.  We met fellow “bus people” travelers in The Restaurant (which stayed open for us) .  The rest of the trip was flawless.  

I will be posting links to my photos soon.

By my reckoning it is about 10:30 pm in Bergen & we would be just coming back to our stateroom after spending a bit of time in the Explorers Lounge.

We are on this extension and cruise next year. Please continue to post as you cruise, especially excursions that you enjoy. Where did the Viking Oslo tour take you in lieu of the Viking ship museum, which is closed? How was the train experience?  Have a continued safe and fun journey!

Actually, we have been home for a week.

Instead of  the Viking Museum they took us to the Maritime Museum.  Don’t miss the grounds of the Opera House & Munch Museum.  

The train ride was wonderful until it wasn’t.  Because of track work, it stopped about an hour from Bergen at Voss.  We were supposed to be met by busses but someone either forgot to book them or they just forgot to come.  After about an hour so, they finally got a ride and we got to the boat about 4:45.  I am sure you will do fine.

By the way, our bags were in our stateroom when we arrived.

Edited by TomMMD
additional info
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

Thinking about it, if it's not raining in Bergen you have to be in an alternate universe. 🌧️ 😀

We like the place, but it has a distinct tendancy towards the aquatic.

Well said - great town, but its reputation as the wettest place in Europe is well deserved! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 10:08 AM, molymoo said:

we were upgraded to a PJS

Same here. On the recent Chairman's cruise I was originally scheduled for the same room I had on the March '19 Sky voyage (DV2 on deck 5, ) but then saw on MVJ several weeks after we accepted the invitation that our room was changed to PS1 on Deck 8.  I questioned it figuring it had to be a mistake.  Quite an upgrade for sure. LOVED It...we're totally spoiled now!!!   It was so cool to be real close to the upper level entrance to the lounge - convenient and easy way to get from our room to Mamsen's as well.  😉

Enjoy!  

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

On 7/2/2022 at 7:08 AM, molymoo said:

I have not been on Viking.........yet.   What kind of alcohol is in the mini-fridge?  It is included, correct?  Thank you.

@molymoo OT question, but have you ever been to Toronto, Canada?  I know a person with your username as her nickname, and I was just curious.

Either way, glad your cruise started off on a high note, and hope it continues the same!

18 hours ago, Strangford said:

Not in V or DV cabins- only in PV and above.

Having the drinks package does not change this for DV & V guests; the minibar is not covered under the drinks package.

But alcoholic beverages can be purchased a la carte for the minibar; the purchase form is in the cabin (or ask your steward if it is missing).

molymoo had mentioned she was in a PJS.  That was the category I was wondering about as to what kind of alcohol was in the mini-bar.  Perhaps I read it wrong, but I was thinking the alcohol in the mini-bar was included at the PJS level.

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

molymoo had mentioned she was in a PJS.  That was the category I was wondering about as to what kind of alcohol was in the mini-bar.  Perhaps I read it wrong, but I was thinking the alcohol in the mini-bar was included at the PJS level.

Yes of course. PJS is above PV. As Strangford said, “only in PV and above.”

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, KBs mum said:

Thinking about it, if it's not raining in Bergen you have to be in an alternate universe. 🌧️ 😀

We like the place, but it has a distinct tendancy towards the aquatic.

Sort of relevant weather wise.  We just got back from a 13 day in southern Alaska.  Everyone knows that it always rains in southern Alaska.  We had 12 days of bright sunny weather and one cloudy day w a bit of drizzle.  It was above 90 and sunny in Wrangell on 4 July.  The weather gods were w us.

I checked what the weather forecast is for the cruise after us.  Rain every day!!

DON

• Like 1