Packing snacks

Jeebs745

I’m thinking about packing pistachios and gummy worms. Is that ok? Also on the topic of food lol can I bring sandwich ziplock bags to grab some cheese and crackers to bring up to my room and enjoy on the balcony or is that being too much? My goal is to chill and pre game on the balcony as much as possible 

18 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Doesn't your cruise line have room service?

The OP wants gummy worms and pistachios...items that aren't going to be available from room service.

We always bring a supply of low carbohydrate protein bars on board...again something you can't get from room service.

BTW, it's common practice these days for the mass market lines to charge for room service.

• Like 1

People like different things, and nuts and candy aren't particularly available onboard.  

No problem bringing cheese and crackers back to your room -- and it's smart to bring some ziplocks along, if you want to keep the snacks a while.  I've noted that the cheese tray, which used to be available through room service, is no longer a choice.  I'd say going to the buffet to pack up what you want would be easiest.  

We can find plenty of snacks onboard, but we also bring low-carb protein bars -- we like Think best but also buy Quest -- for island stops /blood sugar drops.  No problems since they're pre-packaged.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I was referring to the cheese and crackers.  Sad you would be charged for these, but guess you get what you pay for.

I don't think anyone has ever consumed food on a cruise ship that they didn't pay for!   It is just how you pay.  😀

• Like 1

Having some zip-lock bags can be useful for many things, not just getting some food and taking it one's stateroom.  I have used the "plate method" covered by a napkin, but, if I don't consume the cheese/crackers soon after I return to the cabin, the crackers may not taste as fresh as they ought and the cheese is less than desirable at times.  

Nuts and goldfish may be available at the bars.  Sometimes, one has to ask for them.  A zip-lock bag would be useful to store some of these if the bartender provides some.  

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Just be aware that if you want to take any foods off the ship at a port, they must be in their sealed original packaging; no ziplocs from home, no bananas from the buffet, etc.

I don't think this applies to all foods and probably not all countries.  Most concern is over fruits, vegetables and meat/poultry.  An oatmeal cookie isn't likely to ring any alarms in a lot of countries.  But yeah, bananas and that roast beef sandwich wrapped in a napkin isn't likely to go over very well.     

On 7/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, rkacruiser said:

Nuts and goldfish may be available at the bars...

A rarity post Covid. So far our experience has been on Carnival since the return to cruising, other lines may be different.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, Jeebs745 said:

I’m thinking about packing pistachios and gummy worms. Is that ok? Also on the topic of food lol can I bring sandwich ziplock bags to grab some cheese and crackers to bring up to my room and enjoy on the balcony or is that being too much? My goal is to chill and pre game on the balcony as much as possible 

You absolutely can bring your favorite snack. 

My only advice about the bags to bring stuff back to the room, yeah I feel like that’s probably more than allowed. My other thoughts about that would be to see if your cruise line offers room service and if they do look up that menu. There may be just what you want on the menu. Also make sure your cabin has a fridge, not all do. 

6 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

A rarity post Covid. So far our experience has been on Carnival since the return to cruising, other lines may be different.

Interesting and thanks for the information.  Did you ask a bartender for them?  

On 7/4/2022 at 3:26 PM, rkacruiser said:

Nuts and goldfish may be available at the bars.  Sometimes, one has to ask for them.  A zip-lock bag would be useful to store some of these if the bartender provides some.  

The British bars onboard used to serve the best trail mix.  My family LOVES trail mix, so we used to bring a carafe of the stuff back to the room, and it never lasted long.  

Related question:  Do the ships have popcorn to go along with Movies Under the Stars?  We are popcorn fiends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The British bars onboard used to serve the best trail mix.  My family LOVES trail mix, so we used to bring a carafe of the stuff back to the room, and it never lasted long.  

Related question:  Do the ships have popcorn to go along with Movies Under the Stars?  We are popcorn fiends.

I know HAL always used to  -- surprisingly fresh and warm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Carnival and Princess both do

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Carnival and Princess both do

Don't wait to grab a bag of popcorn when the popcorn appears.  It sometimes disappears very quickly and, at least in my experience, when it's gone, it's gone!  Not replaced very often, if at all.  

• 4 weeks later...

We always bring salted mixed nuts; individual bags of trail mix for port snacks. Last cruise we went to a supermarket in the first port and purchased a variety pack box of chips/crisps to have for snacks or with lunch on board.  Cannot ever find potato chips on board.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RunnerGirl26.2 said:

We always bring salted mixed nuts; individual bags of trail mix for port snacks. Last cruise we went to a supermarket in the first port and purchased a variety pack box of chips/crisps to have for snacks or with lunch on board.  Cannot ever find potato chips on board.

Like navybankerteacher, Lido restaurants where sandwiches are available usually have potato chips.  On my most recent HAL cruise (pre-Covid), one afternoon during HH, potato chips was one of the 3/4 items presented as snacks.  

Bringing mixed salted nuts may be a decent idea if you like them with HH drinks or at any other times.  Mixed nuts are becoming difficult to find on a ship.  If any nuts are available, it would be plain peanuts.