Extra appetizers in Blu?

zitsky

Found an old discussion about extra entrees in specialty restaurants.  Didn't seem to be a consensus.  Some said no, some said maybe.  In Blu, what about extra appetizers?  Like salad and soup maybe instead of an entrée or in addition to it.  Do they allow that?

You can have as much or as little as you want.   We  often have an appetizer and then a different appetizer as a main course.   They always want to supersize the one for dinner.  

If you choose you can also have multiple entrees or deserts also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

OK thanks for the replies!  As long as I don't have to eat lobster........

The do have a Beyond Burger on the everyday menu.   On the last night I ordered one in addition to my main course as I've never tried one before.    It only took me one bite to know they weren't' to my taste.   I hate beets and they use them to give the juicy taste.

3 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

You can also order off-menu, within reason. I frequently have a bowl of fresh mixed berries for dessert. 

Thanks.  I am trying to think of ways to get more fiber in my diet.  I noticed the salads on  the menu.  Not sure if they only do one a day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

OK thanks for the replies!  As long as I don't have to eat lobster........

Oh dear. I was excited to see this post because I have a answer, but my reply includes lobster. 😂 Sorry! 

I have only sailed Aqua once. One night, I was seated at dinner and struck up a conversation with the couple next to me. He was eating a dessert, and she had noodles! ? ??  She raved about the lobster soba noodle starter. She even ordered a second starter after her main instead of dessert! It really was that good...for those of you following this thread who like lobster.

AND, yes, you can order more than one starter. Enjoy! Happy sailing and dining! 

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Found an old discussion about extra entrees in specialty restaurants.  Didn't seem to be a consensus.  Some said no, some said maybe.  In Blu, what about extra appetizers?  Like salad and soup maybe instead of an entrée or in addition to it.  Do they allow that?

Seems like those who in that discussion were confused...Except for the al la carte (disclaimer, I have no idea about Le Voyage) restaurants:

1)  Extra apps are fine at any restaurant

2)  Extra entrees are allowed at any restaurant but in specialties you're supposed to be charged $20; like corkage charges, they don't always charge you like they're supposed to

Just like when in a nice restaurant at home, I usually order an appetizer, soup, and salad. I don't really subscribe to the change referring to them all in a group as "starters" that is common on many cruise lines. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ok I may try that. I love beets.  Tried some veggie burger at Burger King though.  Wasn’t great.

Beetroot.  Hard to get a burger without it when I lived in Australia. 

Got a good laugh from this thread.  Last cruise in Blu a group of 8 couples set up a table for 16 late one evening.  Ordered three of every appetizer,  a few salads and 16 assorted entrees.  Dessert was my specialty- Creme Brulee drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and dusted with cinnamon.   The head chef joined us.  Dinner went on till midnight till they said no more wine or coffee.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The do have a Beyond Burger on the everyday menu.   On the last night I ordered one in addition to my main course as I've never tried one before.    It only took me one bite to know they weren't' to my taste.   I hate beets and they use them to give the juicy taste.

Have got to comment on this post - Beyond Burger uses beet juice (less than 1%) for color ONLY. It does NOT taste like beets at all. Curious if you had that perception before you took a bite? 

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.  I am trying to think of ways to get more fiber in my diet.  I noticed the salads on  the menu.  Not sure if they only do one a day.

They have one "special" salad a day plus the always available Caesar salad. You can order a double portion or an entree size portion .

4 hours ago, twodjs said:

Have got to comment on this post - Beyond Burger uses beet juice (less than 1%) for color ONLY. It does NOT taste like beets at all. Curious if you had that perception before you took a bite?

I was thinking the same thing, I had encouraged Jim to try it in a previous post as I've had them before and no detectable taste of beets.

They are not to my taste for a different reason, as I don't really like the 'fake meat' products in general, I prefer my vegetarian food not to taste like meat, and the Beyond products are far too good at simulating meat...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

Although most tables are 2 top in Blu if you order extra of any course when sharing a table it is good to ask the server not to hold up others food . We have had to sit and wait when we really wanted our main course while others had multiple appetizers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ok I may try that. I love beets.  Tried some veggie burger at Burger King though.  Wasn’t great.

I'll never forget a trip to the US 20 odd yrs ago with a vegetarian friend of mine, we went to a drive thru Burger King and asked for a veggie burger. "A whaaat" 'a veggie burger, yano, vegetarian, no meat' "err, ok then".

Picked order up, went back to where we were staying, friend opened burger to find a piece of lettuce, tomato and pickle between the two pieces of bread...nothing else! 

Back on track though, last time I ate in Blu there were occasions when I had an appetiser that was so nice I asked for another one, plus I think twice I couldn't decide between two mains so they brought me one of each. Did I forgo dessert on those occasions...absolutely not! 

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

Blu was initially designed as a healthier choice.   Even now many of their meals are a twist on a salad.   What comes to me was one - Rack of Lamb -  it was 4 chops served on top of a Salad.   Sounds weird but good.    They will get you all the salad you wish and also have a Cease on the anytime menu.

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Beetroot.  Hard to get a burger without it when I lived in Australia. 

Got a good laugh from this thread.  Last cruise in Blu a group of 8 couples set up a table for 16 late one evening.  Ordered three of every appetizer,  a few salads and 16 assorted entrees.  Dessert was my specialty- Creme Brulee drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and dusted with cinnamon.   The head chef joined us.  Dinner went on till midnight till they said no more wine or coffee.

LOL -   I've been successful with no beetroot but got a fried egg.

On our last Equinox cruise my DW mentioned the 1st night in Blu that she likes a big salad with maybe a small entree and a desert.  Every night after that she was presented with a large custom made salad and asked if she would also like an entree.  I normally go the old fashion route with two "starters", an entree, and desert.  Haven't cruised in a couple of years and am ready to go!

I have requested things in both Blu and Luminae that weren't specifically on the menu but that were obviously in the kitchen.   

For example, I have asked for a real side of broccoli instead of just one or two florets.   I have requested other greens as a portion and not a garnish.   I love my green veggies!!  

Also, on many lunches at Luminae I just asked for an entire plate of salad greens with vinagrette, and a grilled chicken or salmon piece on top.   Never have they blinked an eye when I politely asked.    

In Blu there was a risotto that we liked, but we just wanted a little taste, so asked for a HALF portion and then we divided that.   I also remember that we have ordered a few appetizers as our entree.  

I have also, like the cruiser above, asked for a bowl of mixed berries.   As a matter of fact, it's my go-to breakfast on nearly every cruise:   small bowl of berries, small bowl of vanilla or fruit yogurt, handful of granola and I mix it myself.   

I hate to waste food,  so on items that I know are over-served I ask for half:   chicken and waffles that was in Luminae (may still be) I ask for one and one.   I *have* gotten a look like 'are you sure?'  Yeah, just one please.    No bun on a burger, just meat on the plate.    I can't say how many burgers I've eaten at Mast Grill (too many!) and I have never had a bun.  

I do all this ------- and then I can enjoy a chocolate martini guilt-free.   Well almost.  Two?  Then totally guilt-free lol.  

• Like 2